Devils Vs Giants - Sunday 12th Jan - 6pm - Chat

Re: Devils Vs Giants - Sunday 12th Jan - 6pm - Chat

Was not at the game so cannot comment on that.

However, amidst all the doom and gloom I saw on Facebook that young Callum Buglass got his first Elite League point - if that was so then congrats Cal :Banana

Teeny weeny itsy bitsy positive...

Have Hope#35 said:
Scottman said:
Injuries or no injuries, that was a proper hockey lesson from a proper hockey team!!! ;:|
Who we'd have given a game with a full roster!
the 2 games this weekend have got to be the most sterile and heartless performances I have ever see from a Devils side. we all know how short benched you are, but Dundee came into the O last week with the same number of skaters and they worked and battled for the whole 60 minutes and got a deserved win.
several teams have been hit hard with injuries, and although they Giants have been very lucky with injuries, we have still had them.
Braehead, Hull, Fife, Edinburgh and Dundee have just rolled up their sleeves and got on with it without complaint.
There is obviously more to the Devils situation than the injury problems including a owner that doesn't seem to want to replace injured/sacked players. Hopefully things will be resolved very soon, because the Elite league without a strong/hardworking/feisty Devils team would be a much poorer place.

jimmy snels

Finny said:
If injuries wasn't a good enough excuse for Adams earlier in the season then it shouldn't be used as an excuse by the management now.

The tactics last night were abysmal. When you are that short you don't play all out attacking hockey that sees what defenders we have left charging forward, and then having to charge back when no one covers them.

We've played games with a similar number of players out injured/suspended and never been embarrassed like that in the EIHL before.
Fully agree finny people can try to justify it by saying we were short but that was simply and unacceptable level of commitment from a professional hockey team.

If they couldn't afford injuries and were "damage limiting" I wish they'd let the fans no so we didn't have to watch that shower of shit and could have saved the money :evil:

There was no tactical employment what so ever. The players didn't even look angry about it. When we stuck 5 on Sheffield the other week they started two fights in a few minutes and started to get mean. We just bent over and said please be gentle in the third.

As for how did we score four then if they weren't trying?? Errr because Belfast put their back up in and totally took their foot off the gas :roll:

Ocko

I have no complaint about effort and commitment, I still seen that in excess. Even with a cricket score the players still gave it everything and looked gutted. We had no chance last night with the amount of players we were missing but I have huge questions over out tactics used.

It may have been the players we now have and their natural game is different to the two way players we've had in the past such as Matzka, Stu, Tylor, a fully fit Mac last year etc, but the amount of odd man rushes we kept giving away just gave a tired D no chance at all. The inital amount of goals I dont think I could put the D at fault for any, they were just odd man rushes that the first forward back should pick up. It's the most basic of defensive plays but the high guy of the 3 forwards punished us repeatedly while the forwards were always the last man back. The same goes for covering a D man who has joined the rush, this is the stuff the juniors practice.

I support the management and have done a great deal on here but as with the ulitimatums with G and interviews saying how we are under performing at that particular time I expect the same now. I believe this weekend now makes Pope's record worse than G's.

As Armchair Coach has said, why havent we called anyone up from the ENL? I know we have Callum, but we need more if we are going to use being short benched as an excuse.

Also begs the question why havent we dropped a forward back to D, maybe not against Belfast as we were forwards down in that game but Fife is a great example; we run with 10 forwards but still only kept 2 lines of D. We even kept the same D when we had a D man in the box and went down to 3, it makes no sense at all. We have experienced players who could easily drop back (Max and Lord spring to mind). Maybe we wouldnt have the levels of fatigue if we had done this a few games ago.

Congratulations to Callum for his first point, he looks a great prospect.

I cant rememeber a weekend as horrible as that for the Devils in my 22 years of watching.

Ocko

This may sound a bit grumpy but why do we sing the ole ole ole ole chant when we are losing (and badly usually)? It's usually started by a girl in block two (or at least it sounds like), but to me it just sounds cheesy or sarcastic when we cant string a pass together and getting beaten.

In years gone by we used to reserve that chant when we were not just winning but playing nice hockey as well I think the meaning of it has just been a bit lost. Admittedly a very low priority point but it bugs the hell out of me when I used to love hearing it being sung in our hey day and now we are singing it while getting humped.

Ocko said:
This may sound a bit grumpy but why do we sing the ole ole ole ole chant when we are losing (and badly usually)? It's usually started by a girl in block two (or at least it sounds like), but to me it just sounds cheesy or sarcastic when we cant string a pass together and getting beaten.

In years gone by we used to reserve that chant when we were not just winning but playing nice hockey as well I think the meaning of it has just been a bit lost. Admittedly a very low priority point but it bugs the hell out of me when I used to love hearing it being sung in our hey day and now we are singing it while getting humped.
At least the girl in Block 2 is doing something to support the team!!

Apologies not having followed the Devils for as long as some - didn't realise there was a priority or reserved order of chants or songs - perhaps you could chant your preferences Loud enough from where you are so that the ill-informed of Block 2 can hear them :lol:

For getting on the proverbial soap box, why oh why oh why does the DJ insist on playing Shania Twain's "That don't Impress Me Much" every time we concede a goal - No team likes to get scored on and "DJ without a Scooby" blasts out a song easily interpreted as being that was unimpressive play - Yes I accept there is another interpretation, that we (The Home Team) are not impressed by what the opposition have just done, but surely there are better songs that could be played instead of Shania Twain - if you don't know of any better songs move aside.

Second moan - Men of Harlech is always the second piece of music they play - it takes tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong to get the crowd going - no wonder the BBT is no longer a fortress, the crowd simply aren't given the music to provoke a fortress atmosphere. the guys need our support - the creation of the atmosphere can't be simply down to Block 2.
Rant over.

James

Administrator

Block 2 Noise Boys said:
For getting on the proverbial soap box, why oh why oh why does the DJ insist on playing Shania Twain's "That don't Impress Me Much" every time we concede a goal - No team likes to get scored on and "DJ without a Scooby" blasts out a song easily interpreted as being that was unimpressive play - Yes I accept there is another interpretation, that we (The Home Team) are not impressed by what the opposition have just done, but surely there are better songs that could be played instead of Shania Twain - if you don't know of any better songs move aside.
We asked Plumton that when he came in for Inferno TV as it's come up before. He looked confused it was even an issue. Said the players don't pay much attention to music when they are in the game and said it's used the hockey world over anyway.

DevilDom

Block 2 Noise Boys said:
At least the girl in Block 2 is doing something to support the team!!

Totally agree!

Block 2 Noise Boys said:
- the creation of the atmosphere can't be simply down to Block 2.
Rant over.
Ahem - block 3 is officially the loudest block in the tent FACT. ;)

Have Hope#35

Ocko said:

Could have been worse... You could have got to hear the swearing on about the 9th of Belfast's Goals , not sure she'll remember what she was singing this morning! In her defence it slipped out and she did appear pretty drunk! Excusable... You decide.

Block 2 Noise Boys said:
- the creation of the atmosphere can't be simply down to Block 2.
Rant over.
Ahem - block 3 is officially the loudest block in the tent FACT. ;)[/quote]

Still takes Block 2 to start everything thing though ;)

Correct me if I am wrong (which I'm not ;)) but didn't it take a near full Block 3 to outshout a half empty Block 2 and even then it wasn't by much. If memory serves, the readings were taken some 2+ years ago - don't know if they would still be loudest????

Ocko

I'm not knocking supporting the team and shouting as loud as you can. I just thought it was inappropriate considering how bad we were. It has nothing to do with how long you have been going, I was reminiscing to my own personal experience of it. It was actually commented to me at the Coventry game we lost by a football fan who was only at his 3rd ever game, he was laughing about singing ole... when we got beat. That particular chant is just widely used (across many sports) as a winning/fancy play chant.

Earnie

Re JESTER's comment :- No we will not be an Arena team in our new gaff. 3000 is half your 6000.
It is noted and appreciated that Giants had no desire to inflict further damage on the scoreline and the weary Devils players in the third period. You were up and running and we were down and out.

I and thousands of other hockey supporters from around the league are really sad to see what's happening to the Devils and their fans
PR and BP seem to be making a mockery of the clubs good name , broken promises and alienating fans
I'm not a business man( far from it) but I can see that with the new Arena round the corner you should be building up your fan base ready for when you move out of the BBT
Once fans move onto other sports/activities it's hard to get them back .
The Devils need someone who is forward thinking and not going through the motions of owning a team or more concerned what hat to wear each period .
The Devils club and their fans deserve better MUCH better

Earnie said:
Re JESTER's comment :- No we will not be an Arena team in our new gaff. 3000 is half your 6000.
It is noted and appreciated that Giants had no desire to inflict further damage on the scoreline and the weary Devils players in the third period. You were up and running and we were down and out.
Not wanting to take this OT but what constitutes an arena then?

jester said:
Earnie said:
One that plays in a arena ?

Have Hope#35

Spearsy said:
jester said:
Earnie said:
One that plays in a arena ?
Not forgetting the money tree growing outside :lol:

Finny

jester said:
Earnie said:
Whilst not an official definition, I've always felt an arena is a venue that doesn't allow public skating on it.
So we will be playing in an arena, albeit a small one.