Devils Vs Stars - League - 12th Dec 21

E.D.S.

E.D.S. You could change your Block to somewhere less vulnerable?
Hi Earnie. Yes we thought about that but it’s getting harder to convince the little ones to go. They just don’t seem comfortable any more. It’s more a case of me dragging them there because I want to go.

There is a difference between listening to customers who make suggestions and those who demand change. It’s the demanding part I’m referring to, if you want any business person, or for that matter any person to act on your opinion you need to communicate reasonably with intelligent solutions.
Todd isn’t going to make any changes to the team based on a few people threatening to stop getting their season tickets. Now if next year season ticket sales are 60% down, then you’ll get some attention, you won’t see Todd kissing peoples butts, he‘ll market alternative fan sources..............
Again, I don’t disagree with what you’ve written here. I think it may be a question of semantics in as much as my interpretation of your use of the words 'demand/dictate was probably not as hardline as you intended it to be interpreted.
However,I stand by my response based on how I interpreted your post.
In this thread by and large aren’t people just demanding the team show more 'passion and emotion' ?

jenks33

This season, we’re the equivalent of Man Utd! Inconsistent and often fail to deliver with unentertaining performances!
Probably more like Arsenal (the non football fans will hate these comparisons haha). A few talented players that can create moments of magic but overall just a bit soft and unreliable.
Chances created though we’re Norwich.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

Maybe in a couple of months it will fade, but after 18 months without Hockey, I still leave any game full of passion for the team. I get so frustrated when we lose of course, any fan would be, but I try to put things into perspective. I really don’t think we will be in this slump for too long, but that’s just my opinion. Maybe I’m just a glass half full kind of guy
Maybe it’s best in life to accept the glass is half full because there will be ups & downs and just accepting that is the way forward. We still have the owner group who don’t want this situation, some should remember who the professionals are & let those professionals decide what needs to be done.

Mazzoak

I agree that it’s difficult to gauge someone's “passion” in this way. However, you’d like to think that the way the team plays is a representation of the coach and his philosophy on how the game should be played. That's what he’s there for. And we're playing with no heart whatsoever and not much quality or work ethic either! So if Skalde is trying to impress upon that in the dressing room (we can only assume that he does as he says it in every interview), that begs the question, are the players listening to him anymore? If they’re not, replace them, with players who will. Or replace the coach (and that’s not going to happen mid season).
You also have to accept that there is 3100 (ish) fans who won’t all be seeing the issues a few “experts” on here do. Maybe 2,000 fans couldn’t give a four ex if the coach is having a bench melt down every game.

Maybe it’s best in life to accept the glass is half full because there will be ups & downs and just accepting that is the way forward. We still have the owner group who don’t want this situation, some should remember who the professionals are & let those professionals decide what needs to be done.
Absolutely right about the ownership group.

But this is sport and fans will be fans and always want to air their opinions which is great providing we all stay within the boundaries of decency etc etc.

Wannabe2

There is a difference between listening to customers who make suggestions and those who demand change. It’s the demanding part I’m referring to, if you want any business person, or for that matter any person to act on your opinion you need to communicate reasonably with intelligent solutions.
Todd isn’t going to make any changes to the team based on a few people threatening to stop getting their season tickets. Now if next year season ticket sales are 60% down, then you’ll get some attention, you won’t see Todd kissing peoples butts, he‘ll market alternative fan sources..............
If next season, season tickets are down 60% then there won’t be a club.

Kevlar68

Now if next year season ticket sales are 60% down, then you’ll get some attention, you won’t see Todd kissing peoples butts, he‘ll market alternative fan sources..............
Question.......what alternative fan source? Surely you like hockey or you don't and if you do your already a fan so genuinely where would he source 60% hockey fans in Cardiff if they're already there?

osh

You also have to accept that there is 3100 (ish) fans who won’t all be seeing the issues a few “experts” on here do. Maybe 2,000 fans couldn’t give a four ex if the coach is having a bench melt down every game.
based on your logic then, it means - in your opinion - a third of fans do actually see the issues many are posting about regarding how the team are playing and how the coach has them playing ( or not as may be the case ) Sarcastic remark re your ‘experts’ on here. Must add that I wanted changes made many weeks ago ( players not the coach ) easier to change a couple of players rather than trying to find a suitable coach at this or earlier stage of the season. Very unhappy with what I am seeing on the ice at this time.

jenks33

Question.......what alternative fan source? Surely you like hockey or you don't and if you do your already a fan so genuinely where would he source 60% hockey fans in Cardiff if they're already there?
Spot on. Ice hockey is a niche sport in this country. If somebody’s attitude is “sod them, we’ll find other fans” that’s a risky game. I’m sure none of the 10 GM’s in this league have that attitude tho

august04 2.0

It’s not just the “experts” on here, who are saying these things. Everyone I speak to at the rink is saying the same thing, I hear it all the time - and combined I think that’s a pretty good cross section of the fanbase.

Mazzoak

However,I stand by my response based on how I interpreted your post.
In this thread by and large aren’t people just demanding the team show more 'passion and emotion' ?
I don’t disagree, I’ve a habit of over writing what I’ve previously said, it’s not a great habit as it tends to p8ss people off, sorry.
People yes are demanding more passion & emotion from the team, with the threat of reducing their future attendance. Which everyone is entitled to do, for me I’m happy to watch after 18 months, some demand more.
In a perfect world I’d want less kids at games, less drinking in the arena, more fights on the ice, more aggression, more speed and intensity. Unfortunately what l want isn’t necessarily what others want, so rather than making demands that won’t be taken notice of l decide which games are likely to be better value and go to those & hope it’s close to what I like.
For me a calm coach is one who is projecting that to the team, when a team is up against it, players will be getting p8ssed, opposition players will be winding them up, you’d be surprised how much dirty talk goes on on the ice. The last thing a coach should do is add to that pressure, it could cause silly penalties, lack of game attention, stress etc etc. The coach is playing chess, he’s trying to monitor plays, strategy etc and more importantly thinking. Some coaches like to rant and react, others don’t. Nearly all will project an air of authority without needing to shout, some of the toughest coaches in sport are as calm as a priest on the bench, field and many players will say those are the scariest and respected coaches. But what do l know about it, I’m just an armchair expert.......

Mazzoak

60% was an exaggerated number for impact. My point being if a fan stops buying a season ticket, Todd isn’t going to ring that fan and beg them to return. I’m sure he‘d be saddened by that choice and that everything possible will be done to remove the ”issue”. As a business it’s no different, all businesses are sourcing customers constantly. This isn’t a village pub happy to keep a few locals keeping them in business. There are tens of thousands of potential fans in and around South Wales that can be attracted to the club. Look at Twitter, the Devils have 49K followers......

Mazzoak

based on your logic then, it means - in your opinion - a third of fans do actually see the issues many are posting about regarding how the team are playing and how the coach has them playing ( or not as may be the case ) Sarcastic remark re your ‘experts’ on here. Must add that I wanted changes made many weeks ago ( players not the coach ) easier to change a couple of players rather than trying to find a suitable coach at this or earlier stage of the season. Very unhappy with what I am seeing on the ice at this time.
My numbers are nothing more than that, no evidence or opinion, l just happened to type that number as an exaggerated example......