Devils Vs Stars - League - 12th Dec 21

Mazzoak

Spot on. Ice hockey is a niche sport in this country. If somebody’s attitude is “sod them, we’ll find other fans” that’s a risky game. I’m sure none of the 10 GM’s in this league have that attitude tho
Then you believe Todd ignorant to the fan base then......

Kevlar68

60% was an exaggerated number for impact. My point being if a fan stops buying a season ticket, Todd isn’t going to ring that fan and beg them to return. I’m sure he‘d be saddened by that choice and that everything possible will be done to remove the ”issue”. As a business it’s no different, all businesses are sourcing customers constantly. This isn’t a village pub happy to keep a few locals keeping them in business. There are tens of thousands of potential fans in and around South Wales that can be attracted to the club. Look at Twitter, the Devils have 49K followers......

I get your thought process but not all the arena is sold out to season ticket holders, there are plenty of seats that people aren't taking up so it's not like they have a queue of people waiting for season ticket holders to drop out to then be picked up.
Some have said they may think twice about their season ticket because of the assholes on a Saturday night and i can see that.
Some have said they may drop season ticket if poor performances continue till end of season, their choice.
So even if only 200 season ticket holders drop out their isn't a waiting list wanting them as there are many game by game seats available.
You can't just turn people to hockey with flashy marketing, we've been around since 1986, Cardiff's most successful team and still we can't sell 2000 season tickets with 1100 seats still available after that.
Even when the Devils were winning well and winning titles they couldn't sell out the arena every game, maybe Sheffield, Belfast and Nottingham games.
If they thought they could gain more fans when season ticket holders dropped out why aren't they doing it now? No such thing as to many fans.
As for 49k followers on twitter that means nothing. It doesn't tell you who they are, some could have joined checked it out and not bothered again, others could be rival team fans, some could be outside the UK, can't go by those numbers.
We have 2,763 members on here and maybe only 50 post at most 100.

Last edited:

hip check

I find the worst time to make an assessment of a team's/player's performance and effort is virtually immediately after the event, opinions
can go from the sublime to the ridiculous. A lot of people have expressed in very lyrical terms that the team played crap and some are insisting they will not be attending until things change either with coaches being fired or players being gassed,
Well, having read lots of the posts over the past couple of weeks, I wanted to add my take. I've only been following the devils for a few years and I'm no hockey expert however, during lockdown I missed the buzz of being at the games massively. I haven't been to a game for some weeks as I've been unable to attend for one reason or another. The last game I was due to attend, I had to cancel as we had covid in the house. Since then I've been left with the following thoughts.

Results have been pretty poor and this isn't the best Devils team I've had the pleasure of watching. Do I think we'll win silverware? Nope. Do I think this is the most entertaining hockey I've seen? Nope. However, I'm just grateful for being able to have hockey back.

I'm treating this season as a bonus, win or lose. Just happy to have the opportunity to see hockey in Cardiff. Perhaps we'll complete the season, perhaps not. Either way, just happy to have been at the rink.

I have no doubt that this blip won't last too long. We have an excellent organisation and owners who care about this club. Maybe not this season but I am sure we'll be back on top before too long

Happy Christmas to all.
Great post, been a bit ott on here regards our current form, not the best hockey I've witnessed but not bad enough to want to stop attending or give up my season ticket, if covid were to force the closure of the rink I think we would all regret it, just think how we all felt when we lost hockey when we had the lockdown, be careful what you wish for we have hockey to watch...enjoy.

Mazzoak

What did he say then?
On he matter of Skalde and team performance nothing directly. He did reference the forum, for me his comment shows zero f99ks given to the opinion of fans on the Inferno. Todd has a reputation for not appreciating negative comments or opinion of the club.

We (The Devils Org) can do a better job and we will do our best to ensure that things calm down so as to allow this forum to get back to complaining about losing to Sheffield on Saturday or Guildford on Sunday rather than what happened in the stands.

jenks33

On he matter of Skalde and team performance nothing directly. He did reference the forum, for me his comment shows zero f99ks given to the opinion of fans on the Inferno. Todd has a reputation for not appreciating negative comments or opinion of the club.
He probably doesn’t care that much about the inferno. Where has he suggested that fans are easily replaceable tho?

Mazzoak

You can't just turn people to hockey with flashy marketing, we've been around since 1986, Cardiff's most successful team and still we can't sell 2000 season tickets with 1100 seats still available after that.
Even when the Devils were winning well and winning titles they couldn't sell out the arena every game, maybe Sheffield, Belfast and Nottingham games.
If they thought they could gain more fans when season ticket holders dropped out why aren't they doing it now? No such thing as to many fans.
As for 49k followers on twitter that means nothing. It doesn't tell you who they are, some could have joined checked it out and not bothered again, others could be rival team fans, some could be outside the UK, can't go by those numbers.
We have 2,763 members on here and maybe only 50 post at most 100.
I think you can and I believe the limited capacity of the IAW has impacted on this to some extent. whilst having 5,000 people queued up trying to buy tickets to every game may seem ideal, it isn’t. There is comments on here regarding the size and how we’ve outgrown the IAW, you’ll find that general consensus on the New Arena thread.

Kevlar68

That doesn't mean they'll be season ticket holders though, we have the amount we have as that's the maximum amount that want to be season ticket holders or we'd have more as plenty of silver and bronze seats out there and a few gold.

Wannabe2

Would anyone consider a 3rd place finish and either the Challenge cup or Playoffs a success? When you consider this is a “rebuilding” season?
Definately, can’t see it happening but that would do me big time, as I have already said if we win naff all but entertain that would be many peoples choice.

Devil94

Would anyone consider a 3rd place finish and either the Challenge cup or Playoffs a success? When you consider this is a “rebuilding” season?
Absolutely. And if we can build a core with Reid, Crandall, Cox, Sanford, McNally, Register returning alongside Richie, Batch, Louis, Waller and Duggan then that would be a fantastic first year.

Last edited:

jenks33

At this stage 100%. If somebody told me today that we are going to finish 3rd that tells me our performances improved throughout the season. I know we’re 3rd at the moment but play like this all season and we won’t finish 3rd. Our best chance of silverware will be the play offs.

Mazzoak

He probably doesn’t care that much about the inferno. Where has he suggested that fans are easily replaceable tho?
He hasn’t.
My point being that all the issues us fans are discussing on the Inferno and within the rink are also blindingly obvious to Todd, yet nothing has changed regarding players, coaching, so he must be either incompetent or not interested in keeping fans. As it’s a niche sport you’d think club owners would make changes to negate fan discontentment in a hope of retaining fan attendance levels. Since the club clearly isn’t, it’s either out of their control, or their idiots, or their more confident of the clubs position, ability to maintain numbers and ignore fans complaining, as Todd put it.......

Mazzoak

That doesn't mean they'll be season ticket holders though, we have the amount we have as that's the maximum amount that want to be season ticket holders or we'd have more as plenty of silver and bronze seats out there and a few gold.
Now we’re just arguing semantics. You’ve no idea there wouldn’t be. When you have a business idea, get a loan & start you’ve no idea what will happen.

Mazzoak

Absolutely. And if we can build a core with Reid, Crandall, Cox, Sanford, McNally returning alongside Richie, Batch, Louis, Waller and Duggan then that would be a fantastic first year.
It would also be potentially a massive 2nd season, although Sheffield Belfast and Nottingham would likely increase budget, get better players and we’d have a repeat on now, such is the nature of professional sports.

Kevlar68

Yes mine was very successful thanks that's why i gave it up in 2019 and can now be a season ticket holder :)
We both have our views but season ticket numbers and available seats don't lie.

jenks33

He hasn’t.
My point being that all the issues us fans are discussing on the Inferno and within the rink are also blindingly obvious to Todd, yet nothing has changed regarding players, coaching, so he must be either incompetent or not interested in keeping fans. As it’s a niche sport you’d think club owners would make changes to negate fan discontentment in a hope of retaining fan attendance levels. Since the club clearly isn’t, it’s either out of their control, or their idiots, or their more confident of the clubs position, ability to maintain numbers and ignore fans complaining, as Todd put it.......
But there hasn’t been that much pressure on him to make changes tho. We’re third thanks to Carruth and Reid papering over the cracks and we’ve still been getting 3,100 most games. Not because we’re playing well just because the Devils on a Saturday night is always appealing to people. The obvious player to release a while ago was Dupont but Dupont is player coach and has a house in Dinas Powys with his family. That’s not a straight forward firing. It would be for Sheffield but that’s never been our way, whether you agree with that or not. I’m not sure the fact that we haven’t gassed anybody yet suggests that Todd doesn’t care about keeping current fans. We have never released a player during the King/Kelman era. Put it this way, if we lose on Wednesday then I’m sure we will see a change. And if Drew Paris lasted a season then everyone has got a chance of seeing out a season at this club.

terry hunt

Pardon my ignorance but what on earth is ‘sock puppet account’?
I think it means a owner/player stooge.Previous owners were claimed by some to be using them.
You probably notice repetitive posts calling for ex players to be called back.
I suspect these are players relatives/mates or fans from other clubs trying to create unrest.Most of these are easy to spot.