Devils Vs Stars - League - 12th Dec 21

Mazzoak

Yes mine was very successful thanks that's why i gave it up in 2019 and can now be a season ticket holder :)
We both have our views but season ticket numbers and available seats don't lie.
Good for you. As I’ve said above, the lack of owners reaction suggests there is not immediate threat to attendance levels.

Kevlar68

I agree, it's all just knee jerk reactions after Sunday's shambles of a shit show, i want to see the first fan to turn in their season ticket without it being due to financial reasons.

Mazzoak

But there hasn’t been that much pressure on him to make changes tho. We’re third thanks to Carruth and Reid papering over the cracks and we’ve still been getting 3,100 most games. Not because we’re playing well just because the Devils on a Saturday night is always appealing to people. The obvious player to release a while ago was Dupont but Dupont is player coach and has a house in Dinas Powys with his family. That’s not a straight forward firing. It would be for Sheffield but that’s never been our way, whether you agree with that or not. I’m not sure the fact that we haven’t gassed anybody yet suggests that Todd doesn’t care about keeping current fans. We have never released a player during the King/Kelman era. Put it this way, if we lose on Wednesday then I’m sure we will see a change. And if Drew Paris lasted a season then everyone has got a chance of seeing out a season at this club.
I agree, I’m perfectly happy to continue watching games and see how the season pans out. This situation was blatantly obvious from the beginning. It’s not the first time the Inferno has debated on player performance pre Christmas being poor, boring, carrying players etc etc. Add new Coach to the EIHL, it was always going to be difficult.
If Todd was concerned about fan opinion, retention of attendance levels etc etc he’d bow to that pressure, he isn’t because no business person will bow to demands and threats. Confident in the fact fans can be replaced. I’ve been in business and clients have made all kinds of threats when they’ve not got what they wanted, yet the business continues to thrive many many years later.

august04 2.0

Absolutely. And if we can build a core with Reid, Crandall, Cox, Sanford, McNally returning alongside Richie, Batch, Louis, Waller and Duggan then that would be a fantastic first year.
I remain to be convinced that all five of those first players that you mention are what we need as our “core” for the next few years. And for the one or two that I'm not convinced by just yet - I'm not doubting their quality but their suitability to deal with the rigours of the British game. Remember this year is something of a reset, where the overall quality and playing standard of the EIHL has gone back a few years in my view. It will improve next year hopefully, with better players coming in across all teams, Covid permitting.

jenks33

I remain to be convinced that all five of those first players that you mention are what we need as our “core” for the next few years. And for the one or two that I'm not convinced by just yet - I'm not doubting their quality but their suitability to deal with the rigours of the British game. Remember this year is something of a reset, where the overall quality and playing standard of the EIHL has gone back a few years in my view. It will get improve next year hopefully, with better players coming in across all teams, Covid permitting.
Particularly Cox and Sanford. In my opinion there’s more chance of Mikkelson and Register being here next season. Cox and Sanford can and have produced moments of magic but for Skalde to survive in Cardiff long term i think he will have to change our style. And if that happens I’m not sure Cox and Sanford will survive that change.

august04 2.0

Particularly Cox and Sanford. In my opinion there’s more chance of Mikkelson and Register being here next season. Cox and Sanford can and have produced moments of magic but for Skalde to survive in Cardiff long term i think he will have to change our style. And if that happens I’m not sure Cox and Sanford will survive that change.
I’d include Carruth in any “core” that I’d hope to retain next year too.

Diablo3

I've read all of this thread and feel as frustrated as everyone else. What I don't understand is that in those pre season games, I was in awe of the speed and puck control we had. I thought this team was going to ruin some of the other teams. We have the same players, but just want to dump and rush without being able to forecheck . I just don't get it. But that said, nothing short of Covid (and I've had it once already) will stop me going to the games. I am a Devils fan and always will be.

He’s one of the players that I like but I wouldn’t be devastated if he didn’t return. Just personal preference. I fully appreciate I’m in the minority on that one.
I kind of feel the same way. Hes a good player and actually plays a high tempo physical game which we have lacked over recent years. His hot head and general antics are a big downside. The Dundee incident put us at a disadvantage going into the 3rd period and it's not the first time he's been giving misconducts for similar behaviour.

Hedd Wyn John

I remain to be convinced that all five of those first players that you mention are what we need as our “core” for the next few years. And for the one or two that I'm not convinced by just yet - I'm not doubting their quality but their suitability to deal with the rigours of the British game. Remember this year is something of a reset, where the overall quality and playing standard of the EIHL has gone back a few years in my view. It will improve next year hopefully, with better players coming in across all teams, Covid permitting.
I'd be surprised if all 5 were re-signed next season.

Is Richie the right captain for the team and is he vocal enough in the locker room,
I did think the same thing when it was announced for a small period of time but Richie has been with the club for many years, through good times and bad. He knows what it takes to be a Devil. He is professional, consistent and works hard every night. If the players had half the mindset/workrate of Richie then we wouldn't have a problem. He is probably the best British defenceman and I may get ribbed for this but he is one of the best all round d men in the league. I couldn't think of a better player to Captain this team on the current roster. I probably think that he is quiet in terms of being a vocal leader but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. He is massively respected and think that if he does have things to say in the dressing room then the fact that he may not say much, just means that the team will listen to what he says and really take it on board.

E.D.S.

Listening to the Two Ales podcasts and so far everyone with a connection to the Devils has spoken of how highly they rate Richie. They talk about him "eating pucks", taking "plenty for the team" and the fact he could have been the captain years ago. These experienced guys and teammates know way more than I do. He's been drafted as an import in foreign leagues due to his ability and is clearly a calming influence. He's Grade A captaincy material if you ask me. Leads by example, role model behaviours and Mr Consistency with performances. He also seems to have the respect of the officials. Let others shout and rant in the changing room. I guarantee you we don't, and have never had, a changing room full of mutes. Nothing worse than listening to someone harp on endlessly and shouting needlessly whilst you want a bit of peace to get yourself together before you play. They are more often than not shouting to get themselves up for it. Annoying but part of the dressing dynamics. Same with the coach. Whilst Skalde is almost mannequin-esque when we play, clearly he's got others around him who do the shouting. I don't think he would have achieved what he has without an innate ability to motivate players. I think its the fact that we're awful and we're micro analysing every element of the Team that we're throwing up different conversation points - Skalde's enthusiasm or Richie as Captain. For me though.... Richie as Captain is no brainer.

Devils14..... "best British defenceman". Absolutely, now and for a good few years.