Devils Vs steelers - CC 1/4F - 14th Dec 22 - 19:30 FO - Part 2 Spectacular

Slartibartfast

I actually enjoyed the game although I was expecting the worse so upped my alcohol intake which I rarely do.
I thought the forwards worked really hard but the problem is we have to move mountains to score but the Steelers seemed to just have to shoot to score in the first.
We got off to a good start but 3 soft goals down to Bowns, Thompson and Crawford cost us and took the wind out of our sails.
Kozun steadied the ship but Steelers sat back once they were ahead.
To be fair we only had 4 D and eventually only 3 so were always unlikely to win but I thought the forwards effort was great.
We need Coughler back and we need to bolster our defence with new blood. Steelers again gave our defence a lessen in how to use the body. They saw how dangerous Sanford is and flattened him (quite fairly) numerous times. Thompson and Crawford need to take a leaf out of their book.
As for goal tending, Bowns used to be a top goalie. Now he is average (6th among the starting netminders). With a good defence in front of him he could be a lot better but not this this lot who let forwards walk through them. The exception is Richie who despite his size still is able to take the body.
All we need to do is add some muscle to the D and then clone Sanford Cox and Waller and everything will be alright. Simples.

Chris

Administrator
Being a bit of a stats nerd, I’ve taken the information that’s out there to put together some stats to try and figure where the problem is.

One of the biggest issues we have in defence is that they are equally leaky. In the last 5 league games for instance, our D men have all been on the ice for roughly a third of the goals conceded.

That’s a big problem. It gets worse for individuals when you do average minutes on ice per goal (I haven’t finished this yet so I can’t give exacts).

I don’t have access to stats on zone exits etc, but anecdotally we have some big problems with them and giveaways.

Moving on to goalies - We have a 66.66% win rate with Bowns in net, which is far below that which is necessary to challenge for the league, but only a 40% with Kozun in net.

Over each of their last 5 home games, we have Bowns at 91.68% and Kozun at 88.48%.

The issue is that there is zero consistency, with Bowns getting shutouts and a miserable 82.14% against Dundee, and Kozun with a high of 95.83% and a low of 73.68% against Belfast.

Greenfield (in his last 5 games with a normal amount of shots against as low shot numbers increase variation) varies from 97% to 88%. A variation of way lower than our goalies, and half of Bowns.

The forwards is my next project, but our lines are pretty messy and unbalanced from my point of view.
I don't follow the sport anywhere near as closely as I used to, but I appreciate the effort you've put into this and are, it's an interesting way to look at the information and I guess problems with the team.

Please keep going with the stats for the forwards as I think that will be equally as interesting even if some other posters are quite happy to casually dismiss your efforts.

Swarley

I’m keeping Waller (if he’s stupid enough to re-sign), Ben Davies and Richie.

Batch not in a million years, Duggan just isn’t progressing any more (so Harewood comes In for him) and Bowns is past his best.
See I'd keep Duggan and the three you mentioned because duggy i believe has the capability to be amazing, but it's hard to unlock that talent when there is zero effort from majority of the team on ice

Import wise I'd keep Brandt as hes been giving cpr to this team every shift and he's injured and still puts in 100%

Outside of that I don't know who I'd keep DuPont I really want to have faith in but even that's starting to slip, none of the lines work none of the tactics work, we constantly look like we are on the penalty kill and our power play is just lacklustre

Honestly don't know what the owners, TK are feeling about this team because it's becoming more and more obvious the fans are slowly turning away from it yeah the inferno gets mentioned a lot but twitter is rife with tweets about players performing poor tonight

august04 2.0

Kelman and the other owners took a lot of plaudits since 2014-15, but what is now absolutely crystal clear to me (and I took him for granted at times too towards the end of his time with us), was the massive contribution of Andrew Lord to the success of this organisation. Often the butt of jokes on podcasts for his attention to detail, work ethic, organisational ability etc but my God we were lucky to have him as head coach for as long as we did. I was critical about our style of play that last season he was with us, but the term “be careful what you wish for” was never more appropriate. It’s been pretty dire since he left in all honesty. Big changes must happen in the next off season for me, to stop this club continuing to go downhill.

Where is the accountability? If you underperform in any job over a period of time you will inevitably get canned. This organisation seem to pride themselves on promoting mediocrity. ‘’look at us,we look after our players and have never canned an underperforming player”. Whoop Personally I dont mind losing games but sport is meant to be entertainment. This group and style is so boring,and if this the way hockey is going. I am going back to watching the paint dry

Tonight’s performance was as enjoyable as a trip to the dentist. Zero passion and as some posters have mentioned when talking of players we would like to have back next year, one has to consider whether the players themselves would want to come back for another season of shickingly shot hockey.

A team headed for a season of mediocrity, so so players, players picked on favouritism than ability or amount of sand they shovel each and every night, play for the name on the back, not the badge on the front of the jersey. There doesn’t appear to be any plan B - no noticeable passion from the Coaching contingent. I’m seriously beginning to wonder if I am seeing the same game as the Coaches.

Not sure I see the benefit of having two of the league’s previously most respected enforcers, if they aren’t allowed to do to other teams are allowed to do time and time and time again. Take tonight for example - taking cheap shots, running the goalie, sly slashes to the back of the head when the referees’ eyes are averted.

I understand that DuPont is the player’s choice for Coach, but to my way of thing, a coach’s job isn’t to be liked or be everyone’s favourite in the changing room - a coach’s job is to get results. We are not having the best run of form, we appear to lack a Plan B, we allow other teams to dictate to us in our own rink - put simply we’re being bullied home and away - Unacceptable!

This thread has many comments about Devils fans contemplating not renewing season tickets next season - for reasons beyond my comprehension, the Devils organisation are simply not prepared to learn from the mistakes made last season - replenishing key players when players get injured (I get it that the best players won’t be available, but it seems both Giants and Steelers manage to being in replacements at a moment’s notice and stay within the rules of the Elite League. Last season, not replenishing the squad whilst players were injured imho cost the Devils the Challenge Cup and possibly the league - so far this season, we’ve lost Coughler for 8 games, Louis for 6 games and Jardine for (yet to be determined), it isn’t a strategy I’ve seen in any of the coaching manuals I’ve read whilst I’ve been coaching ice hockey.

The Devils appear to have the highest number of ONEWAY two way contracts - it seems the only clubs benefitting from these two ways are the lower level clubs - I was pleased to see Kelly on the ice get some ice time this evening, but even that was limited. Having two way players dress to take the odd shift now and again will benefit our usual top line forwards or D men - I can’t understand how or why lower level clubs get to dictate to the Elite teams over two way contracts.
Who knows, perhaps Santa will bring a change as a Christmas present or 2023 will dawn a change in form - fingers crossed

Nadolig llawen a blwyddyn newydd dda I chi Hyde

august04 2.0

See I'd keep Duggan and the three you mentioned because duggy i believe has the capability to be amazing, but it's hard to unlock that talent when there is zero effort from majority of the team on ice

Import wise I'd keep Brandt as hes been giving cpr to this team every shift and he's injured and still puts in 100%

Outside of that I don't know who I'd keep DuPont I really want to have faith in but even that's starting to slip, none of the lines work none of the tactics work, we constantly look like we are on the penalty kill and our power play is just lacklustre

Honestly don't know what the owners, TK are feeling about this team because it's becoming more and more obvious the fans are slowly turning away from it yeah the inferno gets mentioned a lot but twitter is rife with tweets about players performing poor tonight
As much as I Iike Brandt, a player of his limited ability should be nowhere near playing for the Devils. He gets what it means more than most of the current lot and you can’t fault his effort, but I wouldn’t have him back next year - nor would I have any of the current import D men, apart from maybe Jardine (more on past form than this year though) and only 2 current import forwards.

I’ve decided that will be the last game of this season for me. I can’t watch anymore of this garbage. The lack of passion is astounding. When Kozun got run and nobody did anything … that was it for me. Passionless, spineless, not interested in protecting each other. This “team”, they don’t play for each other. It’s like a bunch of strangers on the ice. I will spend my money on visiting Germany a couple more times before the end of the DEL season instead. Just, boring garbage.

ASHIPP

What a shambles of a result. Other teams, shortbenched and with injury woes,are finding players to cover the roster, or bringing in new ones. Belfast have acted swiftly - what is OUR club's statement of intent? The Club seems to be talking the talk ('we have the right players', the club is backing the coach) but not walking the walk.
Beginning to think this prolonged inconsistency is because these players simply don't know how to play together or have the ability to execute tactics....or the tactics and motivation are all wrong to begin with.

Are any of this seasons players upgrades on last or cheap alternatives?

Carruth - Bowns
Register - Crawford - Jardine
Mikkerson - Thompson
Dixon - Martin
Mcnally - Britton
Lammon - Penny

i would possibly say Crawford if he had a strong D partner but other than that… Epic fail by recruitment

Swarley

When Kozun got run and nobody did anything … that was it for me. Passionless, spineless, not interested in protecting each other.
This is exactly why I have zero confidence in the team, you allow your goalie to be hurt and then don't hold the guy accountable?? Loads of people said the team is nothing more than gutless paycheck pigs and I hate to say it but I think they have a point.

kingmo19.1

Ah well, at the end of the day, when all is said and done, the team might be the most boring, un-entertaining, non-physical, passionless, powder-puff rollovers we’ve ever had, but at least we have a Gantry we can be well and truly proud of and we should thank the Lord for that!

Goodnight!

Hedd Wyn John

Surely the point is to give the coach the tools? We’ve lost Coughler now for 6 weeks, maybe more still to come. Where is the injury cover? Its too easy to say no-one is out there. Other teams in the UK and EU have signed players this last 6 weeks. And guess what, when you’re down in numbers, there's more risk of others getting injured too. But we were terribly inconsistent at full strength too, nothing has really changed! These players are not playing for this coach nor the Devils shirt, that is clear to me.
I suspect a number of players are carrying injuries while playing Brandt, Brittain etc. While that in itself isn't the cause of our recent poor performances it would explain why the physicality isn't there.

moggy#9

I’m keeping Waller (if he’s stupid enough to re-sign), Ben Davies and Richie.

Batch not in a million years, Duggan just isn’t progressing any more (so Harewood comes In for him) and Bowns is past his best.
I think the key questions are who you replace them with and what roles you expect them to play. Personally I think that duggan is a solid role player, and unless someone stellar was available is hard to upgraded on. I think harewood needs to come into the team full time next year, but I'd be interested to know the state of progress on the other two ways.

moggy#9

As much as I Iike Brandt, a player of his limited ability should be nowhere near playing for the Devils. He gets what it means more than most of the current lot and you can’t fault his effort, but I wouldn’t have him back next year - nor would I have any of the current import D men, apart from maybe Jardine (more on past form than this year though) and only 2 current import forwards.
You can't expect every import to be a 20 or 30 goal scorer. For where he is on the depth chart (and probably on the pay scale) he's likely value for money.

Happy Clapper Signing

ASHIPP

W
You can't expect every import to be a 20 or 30 goal scorer. For where he is on the depth chart (and probably on the pay scale) he's likely value for money.
I don't think anybody does expect that....every player has a role on the team, whether it be scoring, setting up the attack, pk strengths etc.
The big question is do they each understand their roles and are they capable of executing them. If there is poor communication in instructions given then mistakes are going to be made.

The success of previous Devils teams was due to a combination of factors...individual skill, group chemistry, good communication, a coach who was meticulous with preparation. Players seemed to understand their on ice roles.

Think this year can be virtually written off now. Let the players recover from injury and at least make the home games entertaining and intense, irrespective of the result.....that is what the fans have paid for.

Would like to see Harewood and Kelly fully integrated as full time Devils next season. And why not? Some of the other EIHL teams are already playing far less experienced British players on their roster.

Would also like to see how Dupont can influence recruitment for next season and make some bold and brave changes. He also needs a very very experienced Assistant Coach on the bench and in training with him. Clearly the young rookie assistant coach experiment has not worked.
No coincidence that Jamie Elson and Franny were both very instrumental in Andrew Lord's early support and development as a coach.

Last edited:

moggy#9

W

I don't think anybody does expect that....every player has a role on the team, whether it be scoring, setting up the attack, pk strengths etc.
The big question is do they each understand their roles and are they capable of executing them. If there is poor communication in instructions given then mistakes are going to be made.

The success of previous Devils teams was due to a combination of factors...individual skill, group chemistry, good communication, a coach who was meticulous with preparation. Players seemed to understand their on ice roles.

Think this year can be virtually written off now. Let the players recover from injury and at least make the home games entertaining and intense, irrespective time of the result.....that is what the fans have paid for.

Would like to see Harewood and Kelly fully integrated as full time Devils next season. And why not? Some of the other EIHL teams are already playing far less experienced British players on their roster.

Would also like to see how Dupont can influence recruitment for next season and make some bold and brave changes. He also needs a very very experienced Assistant Coach on the bench and in training with him. Clearly the young rookie assistant coach experiment has not worked.
No coincidence that Jamie Elson and Franny were both very instrumental in Andrew Lord's early support and development as a coach.
I just don't buy this business of Dupont with an experienced assistant. Bumping him down to assistant under an experienced coach, maybe. But that would be humiliating for him.

I just don't see anything to suggest it's worth persevering with Dupont being this season.

Samael

I missed the game but by the sounds of it all I missed was a load of crap. Surely the owners and MD must realise this team is built and coached wrong. Fair play to them for not throwing DuPont under a bus, so far, as he'd be an easy scapegoat. There is a lot to be said however regarding the point August raised regarding the contribution Andrew Lord made while he was here. His recruitment, coaching, work ethic and most importantly pride in the product are now all things absent from our organisation. Doesn't matter what Todd says at any QA event now, his rhetoric means nothing, this is a results based business and due to laziness and complacency in the off season we as fans have been served up a plate of tripe by both the on and off ice personnel.

The way l see it we need to properly rebuild this team in the summer. Kelman needs to cut the bs and sentimental attitude as this team are not worth their paycheck. I'm sick of hearing the 'playing with an injury' excuse too. Perhaps we should have a physical and conditioning coach then rather than an anonymous assistant coach who appears to just be there to hold Brodie's hand, you know.

This is not the brand of Cardiff Devils hockey we have gotten used to and spoiled by since the current owners and management came here and l think this is definitely a franchise low for sure under their tenure. We may go on and win the Continental Cup but like last season's playoff win it will be more to do with luck and individual performances rather than a team effort of winners. You will never win every game and every trophy every year but you try your hardest, this team, this organisation just looks like it can't be bothered this year so why should the fans bother next year? Big changes need to be made next year before the rot really sets in and Lord's legacy becomes nothing but a distant memory.