Finnerty a Devil?

BLOOMINGTON, Ill. – Bloomington PrairieThunder officials announced Monday that center Ryan Finnerty has signed a contract with the Cardiff Devils of the British Elite League in the EIHL.
“While we’re disappointed to see Ryan leave, we can’t begrudge a guy for improving his financial situation,” said PrairieThunder coach Jarrod Skalde. “I’m not totally surprised because when you sign a guy who has played in Europe for five years, you always know there’s the possibility for them to go back.
“I know Ryan has had other offers from teams over there this year that he turned down, but this one was just too good. We will miss Ryan because he was a big part of our success in the beginning of the season, but we will move on. We wish him nothing, but the best.”
Finnerty had four goals and 10 assists for 14 points, which ranked fourth best on the team, in 15 games. He missed four games with a fractured orbital bone before returning to the ice in the team’s last game Friday at Flint.
He echoed Skalde’s remarks concerning his offer from Cardiff.
“I had other offers that I turned down, but I just couldn’t walk away from this one,” said Finnerty. “When I signed with Bloomington I had no intention of not finishing the season here. The fact that I’ve played in that league the last few years was a factor. Cardiff knows what type of player they are getting.
“I really enjoyed my time in Bloomington. My wife and I are not overly excited about leaving, but we have to do what’s best for us. Bloomington is a class organization from top to bottom and the guys in the room are great. ”

FINNERTY SIGNS WITH EIHL TEAM

BLOOMINGTON, Ill. – Bloomington PrairieThunder officials announced Monday that center Ryan Finnerty has signed a contract with the Cardiff Devils of the British Elite League in the EIHL.
“While we’re disappointed to see Ryan leave, we can’t begrudge a guy for improving his financial situation,” said PrairieThunder coach Jarrod Skalde. “I’m not totally surprised because when you sign a guy who has played in Europe for five years, you always know there’s the possibility for them to go back.
“I know Ryan has had other offers from teams over there this year that he turned down, but this one was just too good. We will miss Ryan because he was a big part of our success in the beginning of the season, but we will move on. We wish him nothing, but the best.”
Finnerty had four goals and 10 assists for 14 points, which ranked fourth best on the team, in 15 games. He missed four games with a fractured orbital bone before returning to the ice in the team’s last game Friday at Flint.
He echoed Skalde’s remarks concerning his offer from Cardiff.
“I had other offers that I turned down, but I just couldn’t walk away from this one,” said Finnerty. “When I signed with Bloomington I had no intention of not finishing the season here. The fact that I’ve played in that league the last few years was a factor. Cardiff knows what type of player they are getting.
“I really enjoyed my time in Bloomington. My wife and I are not overly excited about leaving, but we have to do what’s best for us. Bloomington is a class organization from top to bottom and the guys in the room are great. ”

Soure :http://prairiethunderhockey.com/news/press/index.html?article_id=775

Chris

Administrator
Topics merged!

Not sure what to make of this, who on earth are we likely to be cutting, or who is out injured?

Chris...

Gazza272

Well G said the other week the only change he was considering making was to cut himself. So i guess thats the logical option.

The only other things i can see happening is.

Romfo released- G on D - finnerty third line.

Jarvis out long term - G on D - Finnerty third line.

Someone has left the team, which i really hope doesnt happen.

DevilDom

Never thought i'd see Finnerty as a Devil, but I know he gets on well with the Vother and he is a very good player. Remains to be seen though.

IF it is true, could it be so Adams can drop back to the bench as he has previously stated was the intention? Or maybe Wes's injury is worse than 1st thought?

DevilDom

Gazza272 said:
Well G said the other week the only change he was considering making was to cut himself. So i guess thats the logical option.

The only other things i can see happening is.

Romfo released- G on D - finnerty third line.

Jarvis out long term - G on D - Finnerty third line.

Someone has left the team, which i really hope doesnt happen.
I wouldn't have thought it would be to cut Romfo, I actually think his performances have been very good in recent weeks, but who knows!

I actually heard that we were close to signing him yesterday... but I thought it was a joke... :eek:

I also remember Adams saying how he disliked Finnerty and that he hoped he would sign in the league again this year...

You don't reward a player for a run of good performances by axing him...
It's definately to replace G (whom I thought has been very good this year)
I know it wouldn't happen but... imagine a line of
Latulippe - Finnerty - Michel
:lol:

scottydoesntknow said:
Yeah you don't reward a player for a run of good performances by axing him...
It's definately to replace G (whom I thought has been very good this year)
I know it wouldn't happen but... imagine a line of
Latulippe - Finnerty - Michel
:lol:

that line sounds awsome

or

Finnerty Miller Michel, good physical and strong line there

Is this serious or a wind up? :shock:

If its serious, what an awesome player, always loved the guy, made a huge difference for Sheffield last year, and never did say those things about us in the paper. And someone else to beat up Bruce Richardson instead of G which is always a positive. :lol:

If its not true, always knew I hated him! Was looking forward to him signing for someone else so G could beat him up like he said pre-season! Oh and Latulippe owned him last year.. :lol:

It was rumoured a number of EIHL teams were sniffing around seeing if they could sign Finnerty the last month or so... Vipers, Giants, Panthers, but It looks like the Devils got him...

Good player who will put points on the board and really add to a team.. He does take a high number of Pims though for his teams. If he is able to cut that out its a quality signing.... I wonder what the Finnerty haters in Cardiff think about him signing for use... There was some real strong opinions put about on him on various forums by Devils fans :)

oneill said:
I wonder what the Finnerty haters in Cardiff think about him signing for use... There was some real strong opinions put about on him on various forums by Devils fans :)
See my post above yours. Its easy to change opinions when a player is playing for you rather than the enemy. :lol:

Ping Pong Bob said:
wasn't it well documented that when he played in Sheffield he called our rink a Grotty little tent?? good player though ;)

that was in a press realese that apprently Dave Simms wrote and not Ryan, i spoke to him in Belfast last year and he wasnt happen with 90% of statments in the article

steve

None of the comments attributed to Finnerty came out of his mouth. Brad says he's ok, that'll do for me!!!

What a nasty team we seem to be developing, great. Nottingham have Richardson, Coventry have Robinson...we've got Jay, Miller, Michel, Finnerty and Brad!

Cookies_naughtyboy said:
Ping Pong Bob said:
wasn't it well documented that when he played in Sheffield he called our rink a Grotty little tent?? good player though ;)

that was in a press realese that apprently Dave Simms wrote and not Ryan, i spoke to him in Belfast last year and he wasnt happen with 90% of statments in the article
that sounds about right. :)

Don't really know what to make of this, my guess is that G is going back to the bench, which TBH im quite disappointed by but then again i would be disappointed by anyone going. I don't really see the need for a change, things were going well and only getting better at the moment.
In saying that though i would be happy to see finnerty on the team at the same time, as much as a pain in the ass he is to play against, he's always good to have on your team. Much like the Vother. Sheffield fans will be kicking themselves :p.