Franny to retire/G returns to the ice

James

Administrator
Thread starter #1
Neil Francis is to retire
http://www.cardiffdevils.com/Newsheadline.aspx?cpid=379
Cardiff Devils hometown favourite Neil Francis is to retire from playing and become the Devils' bench coach this season

The next area of focus for the Cardiff Devils this off season is a change to the coaching setup for 2009/10 and we talk to both men involved.
Cardiff Devils Head Coach Gerad Adams is delighted to announce long-term Cardiff Devil Neil Francis will be stepping onto the bench this coming season.
Didn't see that coming :eek:

Re: Franny to retire

:eek: I was actually going to suggest this yesterday but decided not too, wish i had now!! It makes a lot of sense, things worked well with franny on the bench and with a lot of people thinking maybe he should retire it was the best place for him to go. Great news if you ask me, franny deserves a place in this team and i think he'll do a great job.
The question is where will G go? Im guessing he will be playing on the third line as we already know what the second line is and i cant see him putting himself onto the first line.
This is great news IMO, i just wish i had said it yesterday when i thought it now!!

TheStub

I think it is a good move for the club- Franny has the personality to lift a bench.

Not sure about a player coach though. I guess it will allow us a bit more cash to spend on other imports though. Paying one wage for two key roles.

TheStub said:
I think it is a good move for the club- Franny has the personality to lift a bench.

Not sure about a player coach though. I guess it will allow us a bit more cash to spend on other imports though. Paying one wage for two key roles.
It doesnt necessarily state Adams will play though. Just there will be a change in coaching set up...

Chris

Administrator

Well that's another announcement out of the blue...

With Adams playing (presumeably) will that free up money to bring some of these 'star' players people are calling for?

The off-season gets more interesting, but definately seems a good move for Francis!

Chris.

TheStub

On the website it says G will be playing again.

Head Coach Adams – “G” to those around the team – has taken the decision to remain on the ice and lead from the front, with Francis on the bench.

Finny

Iceraider said:
TheStub said:

It doesnt necessarily state Adams will play though. Just there will be a change in coaching set up...
They way I read it, Adams will be playing again.

I to have to admit that I didn't see this coming! :eek:

TheStub said:

Head Coach Adams – “G” to those around the team – has taken the decision to remain on the ice and lead from the front, with Francis on the bench.
Does this also make it seem more likely that we will be signing Lyle? Unless we're signing David Phillips or Weaver on D which I would guess is unlikely.

TheStub

Gaz G said:
Not sure about this to be honest. Think we could do with younger fitter guys on the ice.
G is hardly old. He got thrust into all this when Ed left. It wouldn't surprise me if he would still be playing somewhere if he hadn't fallen on coaching. He isn't exactly old - and miles off it by UK hockey standards :lol:

A good gritty player - ideal for a 3rd or 4th line (I can dream :lol:). Hopefully he has done it to open up some wage cap for his top lines.

So, start imports and Brits?

Finny

Soundwave1 said:
Does this also make it seem more likely that we will be signing Lyle? Unless we're signing David Phillips or Weaver on D which I would guess is unlikely.
Not sure what you mean????
I guess there is a question as to whether G will be on defence or playing as a forward?

Chris

Administrator

I guess there is a question as to whether G will be on defence or playing as a forward?
Probably more to do with G taking up an ITC/import slot, we're more likely to be signing a british netminder and/or british defencemen?

That takes us upto 6 imports signed I think? 4 to go...

Chris.

Finny

Also, perhaps the new import ruling could be important here. 10 imports isn't the maximum number of imports you can sign - it is the maximum number of imports that can play in each game (at least that's how I understood it?).
So Adams could even be our 11th import? If we are short on defence he will play there, if we need an extra forward he could play there.

Starting to go slightly off-topic now - so will post the rest of this in a different thread......

Finny said:
Soundwave1 said:
I'd assume he means that if G plays that's one less import slot available so maybe the brit goalie rumours are true.

It also says in the article part of the decision to step down was to do with G wanting to develop the next generation, which means we could see a lot more ENL guys taking the step up over the next year, which is good news.

Gazza272

Soundwave1 said:
TheStub said:

Or Mark Richardson?

Yep thanks guys I was refering to the ITC cards. My bad, it was a clumsy post.

If G does play forward and we have an import goalie and 4 import D, that does leave us with just one import forward slot left. In which case it would seem more likely that we'll be signing a top class Brit forward, D man (Phillips or Weaver) or goalie (Lyle).

Interesting point Finny about G playing as an 11th import. Although I get the impression from the PR that G is keen on playing regularly.

If he were to play on D, I can only see him replacing MacIver as we'll need a Teplitsky replacement if Tyson does leave.

I dont think maciver will be back.

First line = Pirps ? ?
Second line = hill latulippe voth
Third line = davies towe ?

Defence
Hartwick - Jarvis
Stone

Thats right so far?? Im starting to get confused.... Does anyone think we will sign more than 10 imports this season???