Franny to retire/G returns to the ice

I wonder if Adams will bully Davies into returning his No.5 jersey.

This move really has opened up so many if's and but's . . .

Im interested to see how the enl boys are incorporated, probably taking over from Frannys role in the team.

I'd be keen to see the return of symo as Stoney wont be here forever and symo appears to have some potential to take over the mantle.

The off ice structure does appear to have some real structure and stability now though. Just as the steelers have done, a man for every job.

Gaz G

Is franny likely to be doing this in a full time capacity. What he will see from the bench will invaluable to g during training etc. As has been said else where i think he would be better suited as an assistant coach aswell as bench coach?

Wannabe2

Well as has already been said didnt see this one coming, could be a good move though. Gerad is the coach he will make the calls, on who plays for us and who dont, there is obviously a very good reason for this decision, and he is the man who will be judged on his decisions. Myself i think he has good reasons for this move, and look forward to see the rest of the plan unfold in the nesr future. Remember if we are after a few high profile players they dont come cheap, so this maybe the way to balance the budget out. As Finny has already said G would probably still be playing anyway if the coaches position hadnt appeared. Think we may all be in for some pleasant news in the near future, cant wait bring it on.

:shock: What a shock. The plot continues. There is obviously some kind of plan here. Think Franny will do a good job and it looks as if there could be a British player/goalie on the way. I'm sure if G plays regularly his fitness will improve and if he can hit like he did on Rushton all season we'll be laughing. :lol:

osh

nmase20 said:
He'll be classed as import as a player not as a coach, i wonder how long it will be till El supremo or Schulersagoodun post their wonderful thoughts.
Never mind El Supremo or Schulersagoodun, the thought of us having G once aagin on the ice amazes me, I don't rate him as a good coach and his playing days are over unless he works miracles in the off season and gets himself fit and mobile. I await the usual flamers, but those are my thoughts and the way things are going, we are in for yet another average season which, after many years of support, could well be my last. I expect i will get the usual garbage re 'your not a true fan, lets give g another season, we had so many injuries etc etc, i've heard it all before over the past few years and looking at signings so far(most posters seem to want last years squad back en block ! ) we will end up mid table again.

Finny

osh said:
I await the usual flamers, but those are my thoughts and the way things are going, we are in for yet another average season which, after many years of support, could well be my last. I expect i will get the usual garbage re 'your not a true fan, lets give g another season, we had so many injuries etc etc, i've heard it all before over the past few years and looking at signings so far(most posters seem to want last years squad back en block ! ) we will end up mid table again.
And you can tell all that already?
From just 6 signings?

We're not even halfway through our signings yet, but you seem to be despondent already. It doesn't matter whether the fans want the squad back en block - it will be Adams' decision. And to be honest - the vast majority of fans on here seem to want changes. I can't even remember anyone saying they wanted the whole team back.

We've re-signed our top 2 scorers from last season. Surely you can't complain about that?
Voth.... there's not a team in the EIHL who wouldn't want him.
Hartwick and Jarvis - I was impressed with both of these last season. Especially Jarvis. And don't forget only Sheffield had a better defensive record than us.

The Adams decision is a bit of a suprise but the more I think about it, the more I think it could be a good idea.
And if various rumours are to believed - there are some big signings to come. So far, I'm very optomistic of our chances for next season.

I think this is a good strategic move by the club.

As we have seen you dont stand much chance of winning anything with a weak 3rd line. With all respect to our previous 3rd liners they have only given the other players a rest rather than contributing significantly to the points tally. With our previous budget that is all we could afford and those boys did their jobs.
Now we want to challenge we have to have 3 balanced lines. We need an import level player on the 3rd line which is what G will provide. He wil be cheaper than signing another import and I doubt very much we could attract a high calibre Brit for the same wage he will receive.
IMO (I know not popular) but I wouldn't re-sign Towey. I would be trying for maybe Mark Richardson and roll with him, G & Davies.
The money we save on G's wage will enable a better wage to be offered to someone like Richardson. Also as mentioned may free up something else for the "stars".

G was a very influential player also and personally I think he can earn the respect of the players so long as he doesnt make the fatal errors of playing himself too much (which I dont think he will) or taking dumb penalties.

For me this announcement points heavily to Lyle forming part of our master plan.
Thats fine so long as we replace Tyson & McIver with as strong D men as Lyle is known to be ropey at times.
As for the new forwards, we wait with nervous excitement!

Onwards and upwards as they say...only 18 weeks of the off season left :D

Gaz G

Ive been thinking about this all day and am now actually very happy with this situation. Ill also bet that franny also ends up playing a fair few games this season. Having him there is invaluable.

ASHIPP

Gosh, this is a bolt out of the blue! Co-incidence or not, the Devils did win several games during Franny's 'coach' period and he's so passionate he'll be a strong motivating personality on the bench. G playing again also makes sense. He may not have been as fit as the other guys last season BUT he certainly helped lead from the front and was was as aggressive as ever! Clever move this one and it will be really interesting now to see what's going to happen with the rest of the team. :D

osh

Finny said:
osh said:
And you can tell all that already?
From just 6 signings?

We're not even halfway through our signings yet, but you seem to be despondent already. It doesn't matter whether the fans want the squad back en block - it will be Adams' decision. And to be honest - the vast majority of fans on here seem to want changes. I can't even remember anyone saying they wanted the whole team back.

We've re-signed our top 2 scorers from last season. Surely you can't complain about that?
Voth.... there's not a team in the EIHL who wouldn't want him.
Hartwick and Jarvis - I was impressed with both of these last season. Especially Jarvis. And don't forget only Sheffield had a better defensive record than us.

The Adams decision is a bit of a suprise but the more I think about it, the more I think it could be a good idea.
And if various rumours are to believed - there are some big signings to come. So far, I'm very optomistic of our chances for next season.
Sorrry Finny, have to correct you. We are more than halfway past our signings of imports. We have 4 places left, and the majority of posters have already mentioned they want Smith/ Birbraer?Deschateles etc etc. I am hoping for major signings especially the forwards. Only Sheffield had a better defensive record than us yes, but you cant just put that down to Hartwick and Jarvis can you when we had a netminder standing on his head at times keeping the puck out. I respect your thoughts as always, but you already know mine. Have to wait and see.

Finny

osh said:
Sorrry Finny, have to correct you. We are more than halfway past our signings of imports. We have 4 places left, and the majority of posters have already mentioned they want Smith/ Birbraer?Deschateles etc etc. I am hoping for major signings especially the forwards. Only Sheffield had a better defensive record than us yes, but you cant just put that down to Hartwick and Jarvis can you when we had a netminder standing on his head at times keeping the puck out. I respect your thoughts as always, but you already know mine. Have to wait and see.
No you can't put that down to 2 players. But I would have been very happy to resign Aubry, Hartwick, Jarvis and Tyson.
We've lost out on Aubry, but we've got 2 of the other 3 and hopefully we can convince Tyson to stay too. I'm sure defenceman take a while to get used to each other, and re-signing a strong core must be a good thing surely?

Yes we have sign 6 of our 10 imports. But the squad limit for a team isn't 10, it's the game limit. We could yet sign 11 and have Adams as a spare to cover injuries/drop in form.

I think it's fair to say that Adams will either be a 3rd liner or a defenceman. We're not going to sign a superstar on the 3rd line, and if Adams is replacing MacIver that for me would be a slight improvement.
So far though we haven't signed any brits - which is where most people said we were lacking compared to the big 4 last season.

Like I said in the other thread (but I think didn't make myself clear) - these are all good signings so far. I am hoping that the remaining import signings will be even better.

If they aren't, then I will agree with you that the team hasn't improved since last season and we will be consigned to another season of mid-table mediocrity.

Wannabe2

osh said:
nmase20 said:
He'll be classed as import as a player not as a coach, i wonder how long it will be till El supremo or Schulersagoodun post their wonderful thoughts.
Never mind El Supremo or Schulersagoodun, the thought of us having G once aagin on the ice amazes me, I don't rate him as a good coach and his playing days are over unless he works miracles in the off season and gets himself fit and mobile. I await the usual flamers, but those are my thoughts and the way things are going, we are in for yet another average season which, after many years of support, could well be my last. I expect i will get the usual garbage re 'your not a true fan, lets give g another season, we had so many injuries etc etc, i've heard it all before over the past few years and looking at signings so far(most posters seem to want last years squad back en block ! ) we will end up mid table again.
Fair does to you Osh you are very consistent, we were crap last season and we will be crap this season, we have the coach from hell, and he cant play for toffee. We are in for another medicore season folks, and Osh is knocking it on the head, and we can keep our mid table team. There we are then my friend, the END OF A ERA, sorry you are so disapointed, but shit happens. Myself yes i know i am a moron to keep the faith, but i will be there every week, and guess what i will have a blast supporting MY TEAM, seeing old friends having a beer,and watching the greatest sport on the planet. What a lousy way to spend a Sunday Evening.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Gazza272

If G can get himself fit then it could prove to be a very very very good signing.

You only have to look at his pedigree to see how much of a winner he is as a player.

London knights - Playoff winners

Sheffield steelers - league and playoff winners

Cardiff Devils -Challenge cup and British knock out cup winners.

And at only just 30 years old it's not like we are signing someone over the hill is it?

Koop11

Today has been an interesting turn of events which admittedly I did not see coming. I've had the day to think about this and I have mixed feelings.

First off, Gerad is more than capable of playing D or as a 3rd line winger IMO. G was a little heavier and slower this year but in fairness he did not anticipate playing at all. I'm certain Gerad will hit the gym over the summer although it will be harder with some sleepless nights (baby Adams). Personally I'd prefer to see him play 3rd line winger as it means he will have more time off the ice to coach, with the support of Franny. Unless of course he signs on defence as a 5th D man in which case he'll see probably about the same amount of ice time. One thing is for sure, you won't fine a better example setting player when it comes to playing hard every shift. Gerad is a leader on the ice and that is essential in any team.

I have reservations about a player coach but in fairness most the teams in the league adopt this approach to make savings for better players. I'm guessing this was a factor in Gerad's decision. One side of me says that the two most successful teams in Elite League history (Coventry and Sheffield) have not adopted this method and have relied on good coaching (and some good money as well). On the flip side, Belfast have won the league title, CC and KO cup using player coaches so success can work if done correctly.

This move does suggest that the possibility of Lyle coming to Cardiff is a little more likely. I don't think Lyle is the strongest goalie in this league and if Elite League winnings teams have taught us something, its solid defence, a core group of guys and a stand on his head goalie that will bring you success. I think we have two of the 3 in the pipeline. If Lyle were to come back home, I'd give him my full support and with a strong defence in front of him I think we could do well enough. The huge bonus with a British goalie is of course the extra import skater which certainly proved useful for Manchester and Belfast in the cup competitions this year.

And finally Franny as bench coach. Whilst Franny himself is not the best player out there, his commitment on the ice and to the club over the years has been second to none. Those attributes are perfect for a bench coach. Someone who knows the club and team. Someone who understands the league and UK hockey. Someone who has years of experience and is a great communicator. If we're going to have someone assist the coach on the bench then I'm more than happy for Franny to do that. Welcome on board I say.

ASHIPP

timetoplaythegame said:
I think this is a good strategic move by the club.

As we have seen you dont stand much chance of winning anything with a weak 3rd line. With all respect to our previous 3rd liners they have only given the other players a rest rather than contributing significantly to the points tally. With our previous budget that is all we could afford and those boys did their jobs.
Now we want to challenge we have to have 3 balanced lines. We need an import level player on the 3rd line which is what G will provide. He wil be cheaper than signing another import and I doubt very much we could attract a high calibre Brit for the same wage he will receive.
IMO (I know not popular) but I wouldn't re-sign Towey. I would be trying for maybe Mark Richardson and roll with him, G & Davies.
The money we save on G's wage will enable a better wage to be offered to someone like Richardson. Also as mentioned may free up something else for the "stars".

G was a very influential player also and personally I think he can earn the respect of the players so long as he doesnt make the fatal errors of playing himself too much (which I dont think he will) or taking dumb penalties.

For me this announcement points heavily to Lyle forming part of our master plan.
Thats fine so long as we replace Tyson & McIver with as strong D men as Lyle is known to be ropey at times.
As for the new forwards, we wait with nervous excitement!

Onwards and upwards as they say...only 18 weeks of the off season left :D
I am very intrigued to know where G will position himself - 3rd line or D? Either way it creates all sorts of possibilities...and questions! :D

I am convinced G will play 3rd line, it gives him chance to look at the game at times, as we dont have to ALWAYS rotate all 3 lines for every shift. A defence role would worry me more as I feel it would be to hands on IMO and wouldnt give him chance to step back and view the game in the way the 3rd line would.
That said of course the fact that he could play D when we are short benched, is also key to why this is a good move.

I agree totally with those that have said that the times we had Franny on the bench and G motivating and leading by example on the ice, was when we played our best games. I believe G gets frustrated on the bench and is an ideal Player/Coach, if he has found someone he communicates well with and trusts on the bench then I think this is actually the idea situation for us.

Off topic... didnt Finny say we had signed 6 players, not 6 imports? In which case he is clearly correct, 6 players is (I hope) no where near the whole team.
Anyway, we have 4 IMPORTS to go and if 2 of these are high profile 1st line forwards, that will change the way the team looks dramatically and if the other 2 are Tyson (or his equivilent) and a tough D man, we should then also have a defence which is at least as good as last years, in front of (Lyle?). This would seem like a very decent team to me.

osh

Wannabe2 said:
Fair does to you Osh you are very consistent, we were crap last season and we will be crap this season, we have the coach from hell, and he cant play for toffee. We are in for another medicore season folks, and Osh is knocking it on the head, and we can keep our mid table team. There we are then my friend, the END OF A ERA, sorry you are so disapointed, but **** happens. Myself yes i know i am a moron to keep the faith, but i will be there every week, and guess what i will have a blast supporting MY TEAM, seeing old friends having a beer,and watching the greatest sport on the planet. What a lousy way to spend a Sunday Evening.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.
Wannabe2 you really must get your quotes correct. Idid not say we were crap last year and that we would be crap this season. I said that we had an average seaon last year and that we are no more than an average team. I stand by that statement ( all our results show that we were a mediocre team )

I also stated that unless our signings improve i.e we need 2 top import forwards to improve our team, I fear we will once again have a mediocre/average season. You obviously don't agree with my thoughts but that's fine.

I did not say it's the end of an era either. Now getting back to what you have quoted. I don't think you are a moron at all, but if you do, then that's entirely up to you. yues I'm sure you will be there every week etc etc, but you really have let your love of everything associated with the Devils run away with your thoughts. I have to say that I am surprised to flamed in such an inaccurate way by you, but then again you are obviously of the belief that the organisation can do no wrong, hey perhaps you can write another gushing poem (sic) about how good we are and are going to be !!

Last season we were a mid-table team. yes it was the first year of a three year plan, the man with the cash didn't want to pump funds into something until he could be sure he would get a return in investment i.e. get the punters in, beef the team up, make the team very big and physical (which most newbies like to see) and get the new punters hooked.

Do you think the supporters of football teams like Bolton think "if we don't finish in the top 4 this season, I'm going to stop supporting them?" This year it sounds like more cash will be pumped into the team, lets just wait and see what happens before we all get depressed.

And I know people should 'read the post and not the poster' but sometimes its hard. Come on guys, try and make your points a bit more balanced (for the pesimistic and the optimistic folk out there).

ASHIPP

I can't believe the negativity of some folks on this thread! The full team hasn't been signed up yet and folks are already moaning we might be in for a mediocre season! :lol:
My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the Devils organisation is standing on its head right now to make sure that the fans are kept fully informed EARLY about CONFIRMED signings. We've never had that before.
G clearly has a plan for recruitment based on what he and Matt want to achieve for the Club next year. That's becoming more obvious with every announcement. We've never had that before either.
It's quite obvious that G is signing our strongest players from last season to keep a core of stability/consistency for next season. How does that equate to us having a 'mediocre, mid-table' season 2009-2010? The guys haven't been signed up let alone started playing together yet!!!!
The gaps left to be filled/confirmed may be players from other clubs whose contracts will be a bit more complex. Negociations will take longer, especially if other clubs are also interested in them. There's the PR element as well - the Devils organisation is not going to announce any new players until a deal is definitely done...and also there may be an element of holding back some key announcements until later this Summer.
Apart from the the Panthers, we are the only Club making progress with our recruiting announcements. We should be grateful for the luxury of being kept informed and applaud the Club for acting quickly. As for the actual formation of the team, at least give them a chance to start the season before demolishing their credibilty. :roll:

osh

ASHIPP said:
I can't believe the negativity of some folks on this thread! The full team hasn't been signed up yet and folks are already moaning we might be in for a mediocre season! :lol:
My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the Devils organisation is standing on its head right now to make sure that the fans are kept fully informed EARLY about CONFIRMED signings. We've never had that before.
G clearly has a plan for recruitment based on what he and Matt want to achieve for the Club next year. That's becoming more obvious with every announcement. We've never had that before either.
It's quite obvious that G is signing our strongest players from last season to keep a core of stability/consistency for next season. How does that equate to us having a 'mediocre, mid-table' season 2009-2010? The guys haven't been signed up let alone started playing together yet!!!!
The gaps left to be filled/confirmed may be players from other clubs whose contracts will be a bit more complex. Negociations will take longer, especially if other clubs are also interested in them. There's the PR element as well - the Devils organisation is not going to announce any new players until a deal is definitely done...and also there may be an element of holding back some key announcements until later this Summer.
Apart from the the Panthers, we are the only Club making progress with our recruiting announcements. We should be grateful for the luxury of being kept informed and applaud the Club for acting quickly. As for the actual formation of the team, at least give them a chance to start the season before demolishing their credibilty. :roll:
No one thus far on the forum has criticised the management team on their off ice organisation. we could have the best off ice team and structure - in fact we probably do - but it's on the ice that we have to succeed. As we have already signed 6 of our imports, we now have 4 spots to fill ( G will fill the additional role by the looks of things ) so, the future signings will possibly be 2D and 2 forwards. I have already stated that we need to sign top forwards of the calibre of Smith/Elich to show that we have intentions of winning something. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, I have never waivered from calling a spade a spade, and If others don't like it, fair enough. I respect all posters but if anyone answers a post with downright sarcasm as 'my friend' Wannabe2 seems to like to do, then I'll stand my corner, he won't bully me I'm afraid. I will now wait until our 4 remaining imports are signed before commenting on the team, but will reply to any crticisms of my style of posting as and when neccessary