Franny to retire/G returns to the ice

Finny

Re: Franny to retire

I thought that we would either sign 10, and then bring in an extra import if someone got injured. When they returned to fitness - we could rotate them.

Or perhaps G would register himself and then step in when players were injured. However, it seems that he will be playing in a regular spot.

Thats certainly how that message comes across. I know the players we are/were talking to wouldnt come here cheap, so he could be saving an import wage by playing himself?? Its starting to get interesting for sure!!!
:)

Foxy

Not sure about this at all. It seems like a backwards step to me.

Just hope that the remaining imports are extraordinary if we're serious about competing for the honours next season.

Finny

I think we're all so shocked about this, we haven't really thank Franny for all his work for the team over the years. With a full time job limiting his time to train, he has always stepped up when needed and giving nothing but 100% commitment.
I don't have the stats infront of me now, but I'm pretty sure he now has the 2nd highest number of appearances for the club.

Let's not also forget that when he took over bench coach duties and Adams resumed playing - it was our best period of the whole season.

Exactly finny, the devils played best this season when Adams was on the ice and Franny was acting bench coach. In fact, during that time the guys played some damn good hockey. We still have our most important signings to be announced and I think (hoping) they are going to be pretty big signings.
I think people are at the moment thinking too much about those big signings and so when the other signings are being announced they are feeling disappointed, I reckon G is leaving the best till last (no offence to any of the previous signings which IMO are all very good).

James

Administrator
Thread starter #26
nah he's only played for what, 16 years for Cardiff :) Surprised no one has mentioned retiring his number (goes off to hide under a table)

nmase20 said:
Exactly finny, the devils played best this season when Adams was on the ice and Franny was acting bench coach. In fact, during that time the guys played some damn good hockey. We still have our most important signings to be announced and I think (hoping) they are going to be pretty big signings.
I think people are at the moment thinking too much about those big signings and so when the other signings are being announced they are feeling disappointed, I reckon G is leaving the best till last (no offence to any of the previous signings which IMO are all very good).
Exactly, it isn't the star signings that win championships, its how well the supporting cast are surrounding that signing. Just look at the problems the Penguins and Capitals have had this year in the NHL. We have made some pretty key signings in terms of role players but I think it's quite hard to see the big picture with no larger signings announced at the moment.

Rempel16

Burgy said:
Personally id rather have G and Franny on the bench and have new a player instead of Adams playing.
Ideally i would agree with you, however, G must be saving a chunk of the wage cap by playing himself, maybe enough to fund the higher asking prices of smith, myers and lyle???

G is also a very, very good hockey player and with a summer of training knowing he is going to play he will be back in shape and a lot sharper than this season.

The interesting debate will come for his position. If he is lacing up as a d-man then it would seem maciver isn't coming back, but if he is going to play up top then he is a like for like replacement for Campbell.

Finny

Whilst G isn't the Brigley/Ulmer/Smith signing that some people demand each time we announce a signing - he is very versatile.

With a full summer of training and errrr....... getting 'fit' we should have the old G back. And let's not forget that a lot of people were suprised when he decided to stop playing. Due to the nature of his play he actually seemed to inspire the team a lot when he was on the ice.

But being able to play D and on the wing - it might mean we can change his position depending on who we are playing. If G needs to play in defence, then we have Davies or an ENL guy to replace him. Perhaps we might see Symonds return, and taking G's place if Adams needs to play upfront.

Foxy

Rempel16 said:
Burgy said:
Personally id rather have G and Franny on the bench and have new a player instead of Adams playing.
Ideally i would agree with you, however, G must be saving a chunk of the wage cap by playing himself, maybe enough to fund the higher asking prices of smith, myers and lyle???

G is also a very, very good hockey player and with a summer of training knowing he is going to play he will be back in shape and a lot sharper than this season.

The interesting debate will come for his position. If he is lacing up as a d-man then it would seem maciver isn't coming back, but if he is going to play up top then he is a like for like replacement for Campbell.
Trouble is why are we exactly trying to save money (business plan aside) when we know that other teams are not going to stick to a wagecap in anycase.

If the wagecap gets enforced this season i'll eat my hat

Rempel16

I agree, and i will be very surprised if we stick to it. But for initial recruiting purposes, surely every coach tries to recruit within wage cap restraints? Otherwise no team would be able to budget how much to spend on certain players.

TheStub

With all the wage cap debates - a lot of teams seem to be heading the player/coach route. Belfast and Nottingham have both gone that way.

It makes business sense, as it must save a wage. Not even sure where it would hit the wage cap - I'm assuming coaches don't count towards the total. So, do they count at all towards the cap?

There is so much we don't know about the league rules, it is silly :lol:

Chris

Administrator
Whether there's a wagecap or not, we'll still have a budget.

With our increased crowds and sponsorship we'll have a bigger budget, but it certainly won't be unlimited.

The aim is to run the club as a business, so saving money where possible sounds like a good idea, if that's the case.

Chris.

TheStub said:
Belfast and Nottingham have both gone that way.
I bet Adams won't play himself as much as Neilson does though! :lol:

I presume this means that the Lyle signing is more than likely now.

An interesting move.

Holl_5 said:
TheStub said:
Belfast and Nottingham have both gone that way.
I bet Adams won't play himself as much as Neilson does though! :lol:

I presume this means that the Lyle signing is more than likely now.

An interesting move.
Or Rob Wilson...are you Jackie Moon in disguise!? (for those who've seen Semi-Pro) :lol:

He'll be classed as import as a player not as a coach, i wonder how long it will be till El supremo or Schulersagoodun post their wonderful thoughts.