Franny to retire/G returns to the ice

ASHIPP

Osh - you are indeed entitled to your opinion like everyone else. I am certainly not going to get into a slanging match with anyone with a differing opinion. But we do need to wait to see who is going to be signed this Summer and let the team start PLAYING together before their performances are analysed and their credibility undermined. Reaching the conclusion that the Devils will be in for a mediocre, midtable season next season because some of the players have re-signed and we don't know about the other positions, is a bit premature by anyone's standards! :lol:

osh

ASHIPP; I'm really hoping we wait a while before announcing any new signings. Whilst we have signed up more than 50% of last years imports, we need to wait and see just who else becomes available ( either current Elite players or playing in different leagues ) to ensure they will gel with those signed. That is why a lot of teams are holding back, they are on the look out for better than they had last year.

How do you know why the other coaches haven't signed as many players???? Surely there are more players available now than in a month or two when they've been signed? that doesn't make any sense. I doubt G is going to sign people for the sake of signing them early, he will pick whats best for the team, were just lucky in that hes getting in there early.

Finny

Although in the past our coach has been criticised for waiting to long - by which time all the good players are gone......

Koop11

Maybe, maybe not. In fairness, most teams sign up a core of players in the early summer, some before the previous season has finished. From a marketing point of view, clubs decide whether on not to drip feed the announcements of these signings.

So far it would appear we have adopted Nottingham’s approach from last year with announcing a chunk of signings very early on. The Devils are not notorious for making big announcements so early on but clearly Matt is looking to hit early season ticket sales this year. Probably wise given the current economic climate.

I’m sure Gerad and many other coaches talk to players (current and abroad) in the middle of the season. I would imagine Gerad had a wish list or two well before this off season started.

ASHIPP

Osh - perhaps the Devils are waiting to see who else is available. But they might also be negociating some signings early to avoid other interested clubs. I'm not going to knock the Blaze for signing Hirsch so early - good on them! :D Some of us have got excited about rumours of who might be coming to the club but nothing is for sure yet. I have no doubt that they are going to be quality players (there will already be a wish list before the end of last season) - Matt Burge and G have said many times recently that the team are this year's focus and the objective is to win something and break into top 4.
As for re-signings, the Panthers have also formally announced the re-signing of most of their core team from last year. Clubs like Manchester, Newcastle, Hull and Edinburgh stand to lose a few players before next season for different reasons so they will be in the market for new guys. Wholesale replacements in team doesn't neccessary mean they'll gel and play well, though IMHO.