Import players

wildthing74

paulsasha said:
What I should have said in my post was in the last 2games the likes of Voth,Frank,Max,and Pierce don't seem like they want to play,you got Frank seeing red when things don't go his way look at last night when he lifted his stick into that players face which could have turned nasty inwhich he recieved a talking to from the ref,Voth doesn't seem to be his normal self not hitting anything Pierce who does too much and Max making too many mistakes all this was being discussed in game last night so don't shout the messanger these are the views from certain fans :!:
I think its fair to say you've not done too well out of this thread.I think if you had posted more of a reasoned point in the first place you may have got a decent debate but IMO this kind of thread is a disgrace.

Gazza272

paulsasha said:
What I should have said in my post was in the last 2games the likes of Voth,Frank,Max,and Pierce don't seem like they want to play,you got Frank seeing red when things don't go his way look at last night when he lifted his stick into that players face which could have turned nasty inwhich he recieved a talking to from the ref,Voth doesn't seem to be his normal self not hitting anything Pierce who does too much and Max making too many mistakes all this was being discussed in game last night so don't shout the messanger these are the views from certain fans :!:

Isnt the fact Frank is seeing red a lot prove he does care? just too much?

paulsasha said:
So you are saying your first post was utter rubbish and not what you meant to say? Now you are saying based on the last two games alone you think G should look at gasing import players?
To top it of you are distancing your self from the comments, by saying they are not your views your posting what was said at the match last night and your just the messenger?

By the way did you see the stick to the face frank took just before the red mist?
Try watching the game and forming your own opinions before regurgitating utter rubbish of others.

ASHIPP

Rhythm said:
It's amazing how fast some have forgotten that we are an import (and a damn fine one) down before we even take to the ice.

Heck against some clubs we are 3, 4 or 5 imports down on the season ;)

As for why they don't look at the imports - if the cash was not there to replace Mark Smith, why - after such strong press about how tough times are - on earth would you think there would be funds now?

Some posts just beggar belief.
Some folks are definitely forgetting this....the roster doesn't have the luxury of injury cover. Added to which are all the other distractions and negativity around the Club over recent months. It takes a dedicated team to not be even a little affected by this.

Whilst it's frustrating to see the Devils lose in games that have gone to o/t, particularly when they have been the better team, they can not criticised for lack of effort and guts.

One could argue that the chemistry still isn't quite right on some of the lines....but then we are comparing it to an incredible 'never likely to be repeated' year last year where everything clicked. And this season, there have been several instances where the Devils have outplayed their opponents and luck has not been on their side. It happens.

I am proud to still have an Elite Devils team to support. :cool: They are battling for a good position outside the top 3 in the league, they are still in with an excellent chance in the CC. And then there are the Playoffs. Weighing up everything, hardly a bad situation, is it?

paulsasha said:
What you should have done is not bother posting such absolute rubbish. Last two games these players arent interested? Really??.

Max against Fife scored 1 plus 4 assists for 5 points, not a bad effort for someone who isnt bothered,

Pierce scored 2 goals and an assist against Fife, again not a bad return.

Voth was fantastic for the first 30 minutes last night, yes he drifted slightly after that but that was the same for the whole team, not just Vother.

Frank appears to lose it occasionally, he does do some silly things at times, maybe needs to be a little bit wiser and bide his time for retribution with a big legal hit rather than doing the odd dumb thing.

But to say these players arent interested, cant really see how you can back it up with any real facts.

What we need to remember is Kowalski made some massive saves last night, and on any other night we would have won the game comfortably.

It is clear from the rumours circulating around the tent that the players and organisation are going through difficult times, they dont need us on there backs too, when for some of these players it would probably be easier to just walk away. The bottom line is they havent, they are still here putting the shirt on night after night battling for the name on the front of the jersey.

wildthing74

When it comes to attracting imports from North America and other places around the world what can we do to make them choose to come here?We can't compete financially with other clubs in the league,can't maybe offer the same in terms of facilities and dare I say it as strong a squad(on paper anyway) so what do we do to "sell" the club to prospective imports? We use are repuation as a great City and place to play and excellent fans who really get behind the team and make it a great team to play for.Will this rep still be the case overseas in future years?The way some of our fans want to slag off everything lately I wouldn't put money on.

Good point.
Any prospective player looking at this forum would think twice about coming :/
They don't realise that it's a small number of people, and not necessarily reflecting the majority of the fanbase.

It doesn't have to be some happy-clappy cheerleading club, but at least make constructive criticism? Not just blanket 'useless' comments.

Gazza272

Imagine said:
Good point.
They don't realise that it's a small number of people, and not necessarily reflecting the majority of the fanbase.

It doesn't have to be some happy-clappy cheerleading club, but at least make constructive criticism? Not just blanket 'useless' comments.

I know hockey players have somewhat of a rep of not being very clever in some quarters but I would be very suprised and dissapointed if words on this forum affected players from coming here.

I would think anyone who was talking to Tylor Michel for example and the forum came up would get a glittering reference of a bucket collection to get his girlfriend a flight back home, rather than some electronic chip paper comments we all make here.

wildthing74

Gazza272 said:
Imagine said:
Good point.

I know hockey players have somewhat of a rep of not being very clever in some quarters but I would be very suprised and dissapointed if words on this forum affected players from coming here.

I would think anyone who was talking to Tylor Michel for example and the forum came up would get a glittering reference of a bucket collection to get his girlfriend a flight back home, rather than some electronic chip paper comments we all make here.
Well it cost the club at lease 1 import in the summer who read the forum and all the negativity.

wildthing74 said:
Well it cost the club at lease 1 import in the summer who read the forum and all the negativity.
Bingo.

If a player is looking at a couple of clubs, and 1 forum has mainly positive or reasoned debate, and the other has some, shall we say, rather negative comments, it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to think "There's no pleasing that lot" and look at the other one.

I agree that players shouldn't take what's written on here to heart - but people do, and some players do as well! A prospective player won't look at user names, and see it's maybe 5 people who are always negative, they'll just see the negative comments.

I've moderated a Devils forum before, and I'd hate this place to be moderated to death and only deal with positive messages. I think debate and discussion is important, but at least let's try some actual debate?

My partner can't read the inferno anymore as it just annoys her. It annoys her to such an extent that she asked me if it was worth my being involved at all next season...

Gazza272

wildthing74 said:

mmmm I'ed say the thought of joining a compnay that had just been liqudated caused the player to reconsider.

A couple of us saying Peirce is lazy wouldnt do it. That would be the sort of comments i would say a player shouldnt take into account when joining a new club.

Chris

Administrator
Hardly a surprise though, it's hardly like fans were pleased with the purchase of the Sheffield Steelers, then we had players openly being negative about their experiences with the back office staff who have now left, we had sponsors openly complaining about their dealings with the club and finally we had RinkCorp going up the creek without a paddle.

Other than actually having a team, I can't remember there being a great deal to be positive about over the summer? Some of the player signings were well received, others weren't so much.

I'd say we were in a better place in the first year of Matt Burge's ownership, we were told we had a lower budget, we were told we probably wouldn't be challenging for the league, but we were told we would put in a strong performance in the CC and playoffs which I seem to remember we did, and we were also told we'd have an entertaining team to watch...

Admittedly i'm 160 miles away and don't get to see many games, but the overwhelming comments I get from people I speak to after games on facebook or whatever is that the games just aren't very exciting and it's not a team we've come to expect from the Devils.

I don't think my reply here answers anything, and it's not really a response to Wildthing, but I thought i'd chip in anyway...

Chris.

Paul Sullivan

Chris said:
Hardly a surprise though, it's hardly like fans were pleased with the purchase of the Sheffield Steelers, then we had players openly being negative about their experiences with the back office staff who have now left, we had sponsors openly complaining about their dealings with the club and finally we had RinkCorp going up the creek without a paddle.

Other than actually having a team, I can't remember there being a great deal to be positive about over the summer? Some of the player signings were well received, others weren't so much.

I'd say we were in a better place in the first year of Matt Burge's ownership, we were told we had a lower budget, we were told we probably wouldn't be challenging for the league, but we were told we would put in a strong performance in the CC and playoffs which I seem to remember we did, and we were also told we'd have an entertaining team to watch...

Admittedly i'm 160 miles away and don't get to see many games, but the overwhelming comments I get from people I speak to after games on facebook or whatever is that the games just aren't very exciting and it's not a team we've come to expect from the Devils.

I don't think my reply here answers anything, and it's not really a response to Wildthing, but I thought i'd chip in anyway...

Chris.
Nice generalisation about staff there Chris. Good to know that redundancy can still generate good fodder for the critics.

Interesting how a knowledgable fan who knows his Devils onions has stated quite clearly that the Inferno cost the club an import yet nobody asked who, why, how or really even considered the possibility that it could happen.

Easier to deflect against the club's antics than accept any possible culpability maybe?

We all have a part to play in this club. Sometimes the inferno can be a powerful tool for the good. MNL is a perfect example. Other times not. Much like any staff member or player can be. It's just that players don't get to say 'but our independence is our greatest virtue' like some on here do when criticism is levelled here.

Chris

Administrator
Nice generalisation about staff there Chris. Good to know that redundancy can still generate good fodder for the critics.
It had nothing to do with you. I'm not going to allow myself to be drawn into some other argument because I dared to name people, so a generalisation will have to suffice.
Interesting how a knowledgable fan who knows his Devils onions has stated quite clearly that the Inferno cost the club an import yet nobody asked who, why, how or really even considered the possibility that it could happen.
Of course we've considered the possibility that it could happen, however other than moderating all the posts that could be construed as being negative or not showing the club in the correct light, what solution do you have to offer?

If it draws people back into using the boards and actually posting constructive comments/feedback from both sides of the negative/positive divide then great.
Easier to deflect against the club's antics than accept any possible culpability maybe?
That's more or less it yes, if a player is going to base his decision to come to a club on what is posted on here, then unless the people who are desperate for the club to be shown in the right light create loads of extra usernames it's not going to happen.

Largely the posts on here are about something that has happened, or something that has been rumoured, whether by fans, members of staff, players or players relatives. Other than posting the game thread each week, I try to post less on here now after making a complete arse of myself on several rumour/player threads, I can't stop others from doing that though.
We all have a part to play in this club. Sometimes the inferno can be a powerful tool for the good. MNL is a perfect example. Other times not. Much like any staff member or player can be. It's just that players don't get to say 'but our independence is our greatest virtue' like some on here do when criticism is levelled here.
It very clearly isn't our greatest virtue and no one has ever claimed that to be true, it is however our greatest asset. We tried working with the club as well you know, that didn't turn out so well for us. We've probably been viewed as working against the club, whilst not exactly true we, and probably myself specifically have been very very critical of some of the things the club has done, that hasn't worked out all that brilliantly either.

TheStub

Re: Re: Import players

Rhythm said:

The pall of negativity clings to the club, and it is a difficult thing to shift. Rumors abound, and increase the negativity. With no serious, probing or in depth media coverage, rumors are traded as facts, and nothing much else available to discuss.

Unfortunately banning negativity isn't something anyone should look to do. Instead it should be confronted.

Personally I can't shake the feeling that any player who was "put off" by an open internet forum can't have been that serious on signing. Professional sport comes with criticism - if you think the Inferno is negative, you seriously need to read some blogs and forums for the NJ Devils. You would hope a player would do proper background checks for themselves rather than trust keyboard warrior 27.

We need to change the story. There needs to be positivity in the Devils camp, and positivity to pervade the on ice team, the match night and the media.

Import wise - I'd stick with all of them at present. I wouldn't say any of them are coasting, but that positivity needs to be there. When this team has it's tail up, we can match any team in the league - we just put ourselves on the back foot.

The performance on Wednesday - we played the Panthers off the rink for big stretches, and then we let them back in. We handed them the game... if we can be that team who went 2-0 or kept the Panthers camped in their end for shift after shift we will win more than we loose.

We have skill and passion by the spade, we just lack confidence.

Re: Re: Import players

TheStub said:
Rhythm said:

The pall of negativity clings to the club, and it is a difficult thing to shift. Rumors abound, and increase the negativity. With no serious, probing or in depth media coverage, rumors are traded as facts, and nothing much else available to discuss.

Unfortunately banning negativity isn't something anyone should look to do. Instead it should be confronted.

Personally I can't shake the feeling that any player who was "put off" by an open internet forum can't have been that serious on signing. Professional sport comes with criticism - if you think the Inferno is negative, you seriously need to read some blogs and forums for the NJ Devils. You would hope a player would do proper background checks for themselves rather than trust keyboard warrior 27.

We need to change the story. There needs to be positivity in the Devils camp, and positivity to pervade the on ice team, the match night and the media.

Import wise - I'd stick with all of them at present. I wouldn't say any of them are coasting, but that positivity needs to be there. When this team has it's tail up, we can match any team in the league - we just put ourselves on the back foot.

The performance on Wednesday - we played the Panthers off the rink for big stretches, and then we let them back in. We handed them the game... if we can be that team who went 2-0 or kept the Panthers camped in their end for shift after shift we will win more than we loose.

We have skill and passion by the spade, we just lack confidence.
At last... well said 'TheStub'.

A sensible coherent voice in the darkness !

Doomsayers take note. You might be entitled to your opinion (and rightly so) but some people post far too much unsubstantiated bollocks !

TheStub

My one request - can someone please throw a hit? Just a little one?

I can't help feeling that if we upped the tempo, threw some body checks and were that physical force we'd gain a big mental boost.

steve

I can't believe you've come on here saying that comments on the forum cost a signing.

If it did its because the posts were about the utter shambles of an organisation you work for. Apparently we should all ignore the failings of the management just to avoid a negative press! I had high school history lessons about people like that.

wildthing74

steve said:
I can't believe you've come on here saying that comments on the forum cost a signing.

If it did its because the posts were about the utter shambles of an organisation you work for. Apparently we should all ignore the failings of the management just to avoid a negative press! I had high school history lessons about people like that.
Nobody is having a go at you guys that run the forum just stating a fact.It was not a critiscm of this forum in any shape or form,why has it been taken that way? :roll:
The point is and this thread proves it,many fans just post negativity for the sake of it with nothing constructive to say.Does that help anybody?