Import players

I think people also need to remember we are only a small % of the fan base and the majority of fans who are down the rink don't post on here. For every negative post on here there's at least 5 people who have kept quiet on the matters and just enjoying there hockey night.

steve

Not a criticism of you wildthing.

What I'm saying is, given the off ice debacle over the summer I would probably think twice before blaming other factors for players going elsewhere.

do you realy think a player wouldunt join the devils after reading posts from sum grumpy fans on here. :lol:
My worst import player is dobben. i think a young british player would do the same job or more like score more points. pierce is good and has skills but he does to much all the time, he thinks he's the messi of ice hockey. its more of a team game and shuld use his line mates more.
but im still happy. enjoy the game and stop being so grumpy :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I can't believe some people are so blinkered to believe the comments posted on a public forum will not have an impact on the current players, retaining current players, future players, sponsors, potential sponsors. Yes the mistakes have been made, But they are trying to be corrected.

The very vocal few keep dragging the same things up again and again, Banging the Drum.
The vast majority stand by and watch or mutter to them selves.

Another vocal few are standing up and trying to tell you is not a drum you are banging its a hammer on nail and what you think is a drum is in fact the coffin lid.

If you see something wrong help fix it, or at least just open your eyes and look at just what it is you are banging day in day our.

WE are the Cardiff Devils, and WE need to help the Cardiff Devils.
End of.

Paul Sullivan

steve said:

What I'm saying is, given the off ice debacle over the summer I would probably think twice before blaming other factors for players going elsewhere.
Or you could do as you have, and as Chris did, and deflect from the Inferno as having any possible influence on a player or their decision?

Oooh that comment about your history lessons. Do I get a prize for citing Godwin's law? :lol: Is that where we are going?
Not sure Steve if you were aiming your comment at me or Wildthing, but he was the one who brought the topic up, not me.

Chris - actually, your comment WAS about me. You said 'staff who had left' and threw a nasty comment about mistreating sponsors. If I said something similar about, say 'the mods' I would expect you to take issue with it and ask me to be accurate and have my facts straight. I am doing the same to you.

'A generalisation will do' is the opinion of a lot of respected hockey folk I know of the Inferno (and in fact all forums) as a whole, and comments like yours there do nothing to disprove that, whatever you may think to the contrary. It does not mean there are not huge positives to be gained from meeting hockey fans and talking about the sport online. But if debate is open and welcomed about all topics, then those ones close to home are also up for discussion. Not saying you have said otherwise, before you suggest that - merely pointing it out.

And as Steve's reaction has shown - also as several people I know think - the Inferno can often react just as strongly and impartially to criticism of itself as fans or partners of the club does when the Devils are criticised. It's interesting how you try to self-deprecate by throwing in points about being miles away, not seeing much hockey and only working off rumour / online chatter but then when you are challenged on your facts 'a generalisation will do.'

wildthing74

steve said:

My point was that things said on forums can hurt the club.Wether the import in question was right is debatable but that was reason given for backing out of the deal.

Paul Sullivan

steve said:
I can't believe you've come on here saying that comments on the forum cost a signing.

If it did its because the posts were about the utter shambles of an organisation you work for. Apparently we should all ignore the failings of the management just to avoid a negative press! I had high school history lessons about people like that.
Ignore my comment above - clearly that was not aimed at Wildthing but at me.

Moderator, heal thyself ;) At least throw the accusations at the right poster as all I did was mention the topic Wildthing raised.

That who works for?

people on here work i thougt they just posted on here all day :)

And as Steve's reaction has shown - also as several people I know think - the Inferno can often react just as strongly and impartially to criticism of itself as fans or partners of the club does when the Devils are criticised. It's interesting how you try to self-deprecate by throwing in points about being miles away, not seeing much hockey and only working off rumour / online chatter but then when you are challenged on your facts 'a generalisation will do.'
my dad said amen, i dont no what he means :cry:

wildthing74

Rhythm said:
steve said:
I can't believe you've come on here saying that comments on the forum cost a signing.

If it did its because the posts were about the utter shambles of an organisation you work for. Apparently we should all ignore the failings of the management just to avoid a negative press! I had high school history lessons about people like that.
Ignore my comment above - clearly that was not aimed at Wildthing but at me.

Moderator, heal thyself ;) At least throw the accusations at the right poster as all I did was mention the topic Wildthing raised.
Maybe it was both of us? I have never worked for the organisation in any shape or form.Just a humble fan with a love of the club.

If a player didn't sign because of comments on here i can only assume they were in relation to the club's failings off the ice last year and instability during the summer.

Either the player has not signed purely because of comments on a forum - any player who would do that the club is better off without anyway.

Or they did the sensible thing and contacted the coach/management to discuss their concerns and were still not satisfied. The 'blame' then lies with the club for not providing the assurance to the player.

I would add that I wouldn't blame any player for not signing with the Devils last summer. It's a short career and would have seemed like a massive risk (particularly to new players)

Paul Sullivan

Soundwave1 said:
i can only assume
Precisely my point.

Some guys really don't want to think they can do harm on here, yet conversely when it suits and they see a change they like they claim it as fan power. Not personally having a go at you SW just using your comment as a for instance.

It can't be had both ways folks.

TheStub

What increasingly annoys me is the polarization that is increasing exponentially.

People post hugely negative posts (usually without any sort of debate or backup). Other posters are then just attacking the negativity rather than arguing the point down.

Can a forum cause damage? I'd guess so - but that is as much the fault of those who have a positive view not arguing down (in a constructive way) the negative points. If everyone just debated the points in a reasonable way there would be more balance.

Thesis, anti-thesis, synthasis.

Good comment Stub. Geez I gotta stop agreeing with you ;)

We seem to get the same people commenting and it all goes around in a big circle.
Any meaningful debate is stifled as one side shouts the other down for being "always positive" or "always negative" Reaction to Finny is a case in point.

There are obviously some personal issues on here, but I'd hate to see The Inferno become irrelevant as a forum and just become a baiting ground. Equally so I'd hate to see it like the Elite league forum.

Can't we all just get along?

Paul Sullivan

TheStub said:
What increasingly annoys me is the polarization that is increasing exponentially.

People post hugely negative posts (usually without any sort of debate or backup). Other posters are then just attacking the negativity rather than arguing the point down.

Can a forum cause damage? I'd guess so - but that is as much the fault of those who have a positive view not arguing down (in a constructive way) the negative points. If everyone just debated the points in a reasonable way there would be more balance.

Thesis, anti-thesis, synthasis.
Agreed. The last thing we need is a FOD / FOB situation developing. Man those were nasty times.

My main bug bear isn't the negativity per se - I have been front and centre criticising where necessary on many occasions - my issue is the lazy attitude with which several posts / posters will simply attribute a shortcoming / fault to whoever they see is closest or they dislike the most.

It's akin to lazy journalism. As much as some are seen as in the know from the club, some on here are seen by the more casual fan as in the know in inferno terms, and their posts can shift opinion. I met one fan recently who had one distinct opinion of an individual heavily involved with the Devils (no longer, and it wasn't me!) but after speaking to several others - fans, staff and playing personnel - totally reversed the position that they held from their 'research' on here. That's not to say the inferno is always wrong, but it's an illustration of how opinion can be altered by an online community. That influence can - as Wildthing has stated - extend to a player too.

I have always been a big fan of online communities for hockey. Met some great friends that way. However any slapdash attitude attributed to the club can also be replicated here, and I would like to see more facts, not just slurs, appearing.

Finny

Rhythm said:
Interesting how a knowledgable fan who knows his Devils onions has stated quite clearly that the Inferno cost the club an import yet nobody asked who, why, how ..
Who was it?
Why did we miss out?
How did it happen?

Rhythm said:
Soundwave1 said:
i can only assume
Precisely my point.

Some guys really don't want to think they can do harm on here, yet conversely when it suits and they see a change they like they claim it as fan power. Not personally having a go at you SW just using your comment as a for instance.

It can't be had both ways folks.
To clarify, my 'I can only assume' comment was in relation to it either being a case of the club's situation or the player getting upset with fans' opinions of said player when it was rumoured he'd signed.

I assumed the later wouldn't be the case as surely no professional athlete would elect not to sign for a team based on a few fans saying he looked rubbish. If that was in fact the case then I'm sure he would have been a bad fit anyway.

My bad I should have put this in brackets in my first post) :)

osh

To try and put things in to context a little, let's remember that we have almost 1300 Inferno members. Ok, not all are Cardiff Devils fans, but the vast majority are. Lets also remember that we have a probable fan base who actually go to games of about 2500 (ish) obviously not attending games all the time. So, we have a situation where there is a hard core of regular posters of let us say 50 - 60 members. Let's say 50 of that figure are Devils fans, and those accused of being negative posters are maybe 15 to 20 persons. I really don't think that anyone in their right mind would be put off joining a club because 15 - 20 persons are accused of negative postings do you?
I mean it's hardly 1% of a fan base after all. Finally, let's not forget that it would appear that constructive criticism is often viewed as a negative post, I don't see it that way, whilst others do!

Paul Sullivan

osh said:
To try and put things in to context a little, let's remember that we have almost 1300 Inferno members. Ok, not all are Cardiff Devils fans, but the vast majority are. Lets also remember that we have a probable fan base who actually go to games of about 2500 (ish) obviously not attending games all the time. So, we have a situation where there is a hard core of regular posters of let us say 50 - 60 members. Let's say 50 of that figure are Devils fans, and those accused of being negative posters are maybe 15 to 20 persons. I really don't think that anyone in their right mind would be put off joining a club because 15 - 20 persons are accused of negative postings do you?
I mean it's hardly 1% of a fan base after all. Finally, let's not forget that it would appear that constructive criticism is often viewed as a negative post, I don't see it that way, whilst others do!
Those numbers probably aren't far wrong. which was my point to Chris about generalisation. Also it points to the validity of when things are requested from the club / missed by a member on here. It does;t mean nobody has been doing it, sometimes it just means that individual didn't see it.
There are several 'groups' of fans. Some get their info IRL by talking at the rink. Some from the programme, some from the echo, some from staff / players they talk to and some from here and online.

I certainly know the representation of the fans by the inferno is not absolute. But would a prospective player who (as they become more online-based themselves) is checking us out from thousands of miles away? Not saying I agree with a player making a call that way but if I had 2 or 3 teams making me an offer and one had a negative forum and one didn;t, I know where I would be favouring...

I doubt Wildthing would want to name names but a player hearing bad things about the club, checking it out online on news sites and on forums (including this one) is a story I have heard also. Seeing all of the 'sky is falling' posts that were understandably on here when the liquidation happened certainly wouldn't help your outlook, would it?

osh

If a player decided to go elsewhere due to the fact that. 1% of all posters are a negative element of that forum, I would question the integrity or wisdom of that player. No one can expect all things to be flowery in favour of the Devils after the summer we had and the huge mistakes made by the owner of the club who caused it! I have to say however that PR is still here - god knows where we would be without him - and whilst I have never been a huge fan of his I give him full credit for sticking with us and will support him as best I can in the future for as long as he stays on board. It won't stop me posting what I consider to be constructive criticism, and if reps of the club do still look at this forum, perhaps they can act upon such things if they deem them correct.