LORD

E.D.S.

After last years performance and then the playoff debacle I wanted Lord to go. He needs to win things but there's so many ways to assess his performance. If it's trophies then for me he hasn't delivered (conference title and challenge cup). If it's a consistently challenging team that looks like going for the league each year then he's doing a great job.
First and foremost for me, playing wise he is a must. Such a big fan of his.
Only the owners will judge his success or failure.
But I have to agree... no title, no playoffs and no challenge cup would make me question his position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingmo19.1

I've always found it fascinating as to why or how a coach can achieve such success and then within a relatively short space of time get it so wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In Leicester's case, Ngolo Kante to Chelsea, complacency and maybe a bit of second season syndrome - just knowing that winning the league title was a ONE OFF!

Oh, they beat Dery tonight 3-1 in the FA Cup :)

KaneDevils

In Leicester's case, Ngolo Kante to Chelsea, complacency and maybe a bit of second season syndrome - just knowing that winning the league title was a ONE OFF!

Oh, they beat Dery tonight 3-1 in the FA Cup :)
And many players suddenly becoming average again, drinkwater, vardy, mahrez, to name a few.

Devil_Abroad

Well the Steelers is, yes, an example. A rare one. Doesn't really add a huge weight to your argument, but I respect the effort.
The comment regarding the pool of talent? Well, if say, for example, mourinho, got sacked in the morning, how many top drawer managers would be in line to replace him? 5, 10? Maybe more.
Say for whatever reason, Andrew lord was sacked end of season. How many capable, high profile, top drawer, league winning coach's could you name, who could realistically replace him?

Hence "the pool of talent".

Maybe electro didn't quite word his comment as best he could? How dare he. But, yes, it made sense to me. And I agree with him.
Is your argument excluding countries outside the UK? No it isn't. Hence my response to Electro's original comment. You seem to agree with him that the 'pool of talent' across the hockey world is extremely low? Thank you for respecting my effort, I'm chuffed.

Devil_Abroad

Stop with the childish trolling, l assume your of adult age. The rules that apply to me also apply to you.

Please don't be upset with me as I'm only asking since this post follows mine and there's no name or quote mentioned - am I a troll?

Personally believe that :-
Firstly he is a hell of player, plays with passion (not saying others dont) but his is on his sleeve. Just look at his goal celebrations. ..enough said. He knows his limitations and just tries to do the things he's good at. I'd have him in my team on current form any given Sunday

Coaching wise....
The guy is in his 3rd season coupled with this playing as well. His coaching career already stands out .....a cup and a trophy, we have been challenging for league glory for 3 years. And made 3 finals
Has he made mistakes....
Of course ......do I as a spectator /fan get annoyed at this yes.....do I think sometimes that I could do better ...honestly yes. BUT I am not a ice hockey coach like many on here are not, I have my personal views but the big thing we don't see and as a player and coach in field hockey I understand this, we don't see the day to day action, the planning, the watching of hours of game footage, the coaching, the interactions, we don't hear about the niggley injuries players have. We don't see if he leans on the leaders of the team
But Lordo for me has been outstanding in many ways,
*we have stability especially after some many years of not on the ice. The past 3 years the teams appears to have bought into his ideas and game plan
Just look how many resign. ....if they didn't believe in.him, the better ones could definately go and make more money elsewhere
* we have a team constantly challenging
* we have a coach constantly learning and getting better and more importantly learning from his mistakes.

But in 3 years he has managed to hold his own and better other coaches in the league, some with possibly bigger budgets and some of these teams have not challenged as constantly the only exception is Sheffield.

Could Lordo be helped by having an experienced bench coach....who knows only he ultimately knows this.

Do I want to win championships.....absolutely and I full heartedly believe Lordo will deliver.....hopefully this year, but if not with the next 2.

The owners and management have full faith in him and I believe they realise that this guy is gonna be a hell of a coach, and a coach many other teams will one day want. I hope that as long as we continue challenging that he remains for many years to come.

KaneDevils

Is your argument excluding countries outside the UK? No it isn't. Hence my response to Electro's original comment. You seem to agree with him that the 'pool of talent' across the hockey world is extremely low? Thank you for respecting my effort, I'm chuffed.

I was talking more about coach's in the UK, and with more thought, more leagues throughout Europe. Electro did kind of tie lord in with the remark. There's also no need for the arrogance. Just because you disagree doesn't mean it has to turn into a row. Do you not see my point, or rather, can you argue against, my previous post on the matter?

KaneDevils

basically electro said along the lines of, if lord wins the league he will be a hero, if he doesn't, he would be likely to keep his job as there isn't exactly a long list of likely replacements, where in football, there would be. So saying, certainly compared to football at least, there's not a pool of talented hockey coach's waiting in the wings.

Which led to me asking you (devil abroad) how many coach's could you think of/ name that would or could, realistically replace lord, and compete for silverware, should the need arise?

#phew#

Devil_Abroad

basically electro said along the lines of, if lord wins the league he will be a hero, if he doesn't, he would be likely to keep his job as there isn't exactly a long list of likely replacements, where in football, there would be. So saying, certainly compared to football at least, there's not a pool of talented hockey coach's waiting in the wings.

Which led to me asking you (devil abroad) how many coach's could you think of/ name that would or could, realistically replace lord, and compete for silverware, should the need arise?

#phew#
But my point is, as in football, why limit it to the UK? There are plenty of of coaches in Europe, as there are across the pond. Football does not limit coaching pool to the UK. I'm not sure I can make that point clearer?

Electro

Your saying U.K. Hockey on the world stage is at the same level as UK football. No the EIHL is not one of the worlds top leagues.

Devil_Abroad

Your saying U.K. Hockey on the world stage is at the same level as UK football. No the EIHL is not one of the worlds top leagues.

I agree that the EIHL is not on a par with the Premier League on the world stage. If that's the point you were trying to put across then I missed it from your previous comment.

GHuish

Personally believe that :-
Firstly he is a hell of player, plays with passion (not saying others dont) but his is on his sleeve. Just look at his goal celebrations. ..enough said. He knows his limitations and just tries to do the things he's good at. I'd have him in my team on current form any given Sunday

Coaching wise....
The guy is in his 3rd season coupled with this playing as well. His coaching career already stands out .....a cup and a trophy, we have been challenging for league glory for 3 years. And made 3 finals
Has he made mistakes....
Of course ......do I as a spectator /fan get annoyed at this yes.....do I think sometimes that I could do better ...honestly yes. BUT I am not a ice hockey coach like many on here are not, I have my personal views but the big thing we don't see and as a player and coach in field hockey I understand this, we don't see the day to day action, the planning, the watching of hours of game footage, the coaching, the interactions, we don't hear about the niggley injuries players have. We don't see if he leans on the leaders of the team
But Lordo for me has been outstanding in many ways,
*we have stability especially after some many years of not on the ice. The past 3 years the teams appears to have bought into his ideas and game plan
Just look how many resign. ....if they didn't believe in.him, the better ones could definately go and make more money elsewhere
* we have a team constantly challenging
* we have a coach constantly learning and getting better and more importantly learning from his mistakes.

But in 3 years he has managed to hold his own and better other coaches in the league, some with possibly bigger budgets and some of these teams have not challenged as constantly the only exception is Sheffield.

Could Lordo be helped by having an experienced bench coach....who knows only he ultimately knows this.

Do I want to win championships.....absolutely and I full heartedly believe Lordo will deliver.....hopefully this year, but if not with the next 2.

The owners and management have full faith in him and I believe they realise that this guy is gonna be a hell of a coach, and a coach many other teams will one day want. I hope that as long as we continue challenging that he remains for many years to come.
Couldn't have put this better myself

Electro

Rempel16

But you're comparing the Cardiff Devils coach to a premiership football manager. If you now say that they are not on the same world stage, then your initial comparison is unfair.

To create a valid comparison, then I'd suggest that Lord can be compared to a non-league football manager. I don't have the stats to back it up but I would wager that a non-league manager that reaches three consecutive cup finals and three runs at the division title would be pretty safe in their job.

KaneDevils

But my point is, as in football, why limit it to the UK? There are plenty of of coaches in Europe, as there are across the pond. Football does not limit coaching pool to the UK. I'm not sure I can make that point clearer?

I'm not limiting anything. I'm keeping to the point made. Your going off on a different tangent.
Ok, the EIHL and the equivalent football league, point would still be the same, uk or anywhere else.

Devil_Abroad

Where do I say that? We're talking about Lord as a coach and the fact you don't think there's any pressure on him to win anything because the coaching talent available is poor? So I assumed from your comment that you don't rate any coaches available that the Devils could attract? So that includes other leagues in other countries?

I really do wish I could stop myself trying to debate with you and I'm sure most of this forum is wishing I'd stop too. I feel like I don't even know who I am anymore after our debates.

Sorry everyone.

Devil_Abroad

I was talking more about coach's in the UK, and with more thought, more leagues throughout Europe. Electro did kind of tie lord in with the remark. There's also no need for the arrogance. Just because you disagree doesn't mean it has to turn into a row. Do you not see my point, or rather, can you argue against, my previous post on the matter?
Apologies if you think I'm coming across as arrogant, though I fail to see how?

Here's his original quote;

'Unlike football you don't have a pool of talented people, replacing a coach isn't easy, time will tell Lords success'

So where's the UK in that quote? Where's the Premier League in that quote? Where's the EIHL in that quote?

A debate can only be had if we understand the points being put across.

Your response to Gazza;

'Does he mean;

In football your (you're) under more pressure as a manager because there's always someone to take your place, where in hockey good coach's (coaches) are not so easily to come across (are not easy to find), so little less pressure (so they're under less pressure). If lord (Lord) wins silverware he's been successful, if he doesn't then not (then he hasn't). which (Which) I guess is very obvious.'

So are you talking about the UK, the Premiership, and EIHL? Again there is no context. Though later after more thought you move onto Europe.

And please before you, Electro or anyone else thinks I'm having a go at him on a personal level (still appalled at his trolling comment though still waiting to see who that is aimed at), I just want to debate as is the intention of this forum; so if you don't provide the necessary detail in your post then I and others have to assume what it is you're trying to put across. If I'm getting this wrong then I apologise but please try and help not hinder.

Thanks

ASHIPP

If folks think Andrew doesn't feel pressure to be successful then they are deluded. That pressure is borne out of expectations from ownership, management, fans and Lordo himself probably!

Whilst no longer a rookie, he is still a young coach learning his craft. Yes making mistakes along the way but learning from them too. Although sometimes Lordo appears to be trying to do it all himself! The debate about whether he should play or coach from the bench will rage on -he's too valuable as a player right now. He lives and breathes this Club with every bone in his body and that is a priceless quality.

How long does it take to build a winning team - Thompson and Neilson did not achieve this overnight.

The ownership have awarded an early extension to Lordo's coaching contract. They clearly believe he is the man for the job.

That's more than good enough for me.