LORD

KaneDevils

Your looking too much into it. Lord is a coach in the eihl, there's the link.
There isn't a plethora of coaches that could replace Lord should his tenure with the devil's come to an end, therefore his time span for success would probably be longer than if there were 10 top drawer coach's ready to take his place. In football, whatever the league, whatever the country, it would be the other way around. That is what i believe electro meant, if thats the case, i agree 100%. That is all.

Gazza272

Your looking too much into it. Lord is a coach in the eihl, there's the link.
There isn't a plethora of coaches that could replace Lord should his tenure with the devil's come to an end, therefore his time span for success would probably be longer than if there were 10 top drawer coach's ready to take his place. In football, whatever the league, whatever the country, it would be the other way around. That is what i believe electro meant, if thats the case, i agree 100%. That is all.

No there really is a plethora of coaches who could take over.

Lord isn't in this job because there aren't many other options. he's in this job because he's proving to be the Best of all the options out there. Of which there are loads.

Finny

Do Electro and KaneDevils really think that if the Devils sacked Lord we'd then be coachless? How do they think we hired Lord in the first place? Or Adams? Or Patterson? Or Heavey?
Lord is not safe in his job because there is nobody there to replace him. To suggest that is complete nonsense and an act of desperation by those posters who refuse to admit when they were wrong/stupid.

Lord has a three year contract based on what Kelman sees on a daily basis and on what the other owners see when they are over here. His recruitment in that first summer with pretty much nothing to start with and months behind everyone else was phenomenal. In his time as coach we have made the CC Final each year (1 win 1 loss 1 pending), won the Conference title once and challenged for the EIHL title in each season (3rd, then 2nd, then...pending).
You can't guarantee success. All you can demand is that we are competitive and challenging for titles. And that is exactly what we have.

It's also worth pointing out that Thommo The Great was criticised as a choker in his early life as a coach. His team always seemed to be leading the BNL table before faltering in the final weeks.

KaneDevils

You are all missing the point as per usual. Taking snippets from a post and then twisting it to suit, doesn't work. Finny, once again your arrogance proceeds you and once again you will no doubt get away with it. Because you disagree, I'm stupid?? Who on earth do you think you are?

I've not once said, Lord is coach because there's no one else, not once. What I have said is that if he parted company with us, for whatever reason, there would not be a long list of candidates to take over. If I'm wrong then fine, give me a list. Don't try to belittle me in front of your mates.
I've also said, in football, even if a high profile manager is dismissed, there's always plenty of as good, and many better, alternatives. Which is more of a fact than a statement.

Electro

But you're comparing the Cardiff Devils coach to a premiership football manager. If you now say that they are not on the same world stage, then your initial comparison is unfair.

To create a valid comparison, then I'd suggest that Lord can be compared to a non-league football manager. I don't have the stats to back it up but I would wager that a non-league manager that reaches three consecutive cup finals and three runs at the division title would be pretty safe in their job.
We are discussing the pool of availability of coaches within football compared to Hockey, not Lords abilities, l do wish people would keep up with the whole discussion and not jump in mid conversation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KaneDevils

Their more Obsessed with trying to argue and belittle rather than discuss like an adult. Finny posts a load of facts, which offers nothing to the debate and everyone "likes" it. Hilarious as it is pathetic.

Electro

We're talking about Lord as a coach and the fact you don't think there's any pressure on him to win anything because the coaching talent available is poor?
Poor, you came to the conclusion poor, no small.

The pool is SMALL, as in little,as in not many. Compared to U.K. football, which is one of the best leagues in the World. I'm talking premiership as in the top league in the U.K., since the EIHL is top of UK hockey.

For the record, l can't believe I'm having to explain this, when discussing on the Inferno matters relating to or the comparing of Lord or the Devils, my comments unless specifically state otherwise are in the context of UK Ice Hockey or U.K. Sport.

So I assumed from your comment that you don't rate any coaches available that the Devils could attract? So that includes other leagues in other countries?
I'd stop with the assumption, it's not really working for you.

I really do wish I could stop myself trying to debate with you and I'm sure most of this forum is wishing I'd stop too. I feel like I don't even know who I am anymore after our debates.

Sorry everyone.

It's pretty obvious that your agenda is to disrupt every thread l comment on, your trolling me for some twisted purpose, it's pathetic, childish, obvious and honestly boring, which is a shame because in general, the few times when your replies to people are not arrogant you do contribute.

If you want to apologise to people, actions speak volumes, stop writing utter rubbish.

Last edited:

Rempel16

We are discussing the pool of availability of coaches within football compared to Hockey, not Lords abilities, l do wish people would keep up with the whole discussion and not jump in mid conversation.

Where in the following quotes from yourself does it mention the pool of availability of coaches?

Considering the news today and recently concerning Claudio Ranieri position.

For those a bit slow or don't speak my language, he is a football manager who took Leicester FC to success at 5000-1, caused Gary Lineker (ex footballer now commentator/presenter) to wear his underwear on tv and now is basically about to break a new record in being the first defending champions to be regulated in their 1st yr since 1938.

Basically hero to zero in a year and highly likely to be jobless very soon. Such is the commercial pressure to succeed, Lord is not under such pressure.

Your saying U.K. Hockey on the world stage is at the same level as UK football. No the EIHL is not one of the worlds top leagues.

From these quotes alone, you have made a direct comparison to Lord not being under such pressure as Ranieri and then nullify your own argument by stating that the EIHL is not comparable to UK football in respective world stages.

I simply made a comment, that I would wager no non-league football manager would be in danger of losing their job if they had a record similar to Lord.

I guess by your total swerve of what I said and realisation that you can't actually argue that point without contradicting yourself further (see your quotes above), that you agree. So thank you.

Electro

Page 1. My first post on this subject. I suggest you read from the beginning as you've jumped in mid debate.

Last edited:

Rempel16

Page 1. My first post on this subject. I suggest you read from the beginning as you've jumped in mid debate.

Oh, so because I have proved your contradictory tendency I suddenly have to refer to your very first post on the thread, which incidentally, precedes your contradictory posts that I quoted.

I'm sorry. I didn't realise I was posting in the 'only talk about the part of the thread that Electro says is allowed'... I thought I was posting on a thread entitled 'Lord'.

I'll bear that in mind for the next time.

KaneDevils

No football managers job is ever safe, non league included. All depends who the owners want, sometimes how well your doing goes out the window. Example, Gary rowett, was manager of Birmingham city, who were 4th in the league, punching above their weight, the owners wanted Zola in charge, rowett was sacked, fans went nuts. Football is very different to most other sports. Success can lead to your downfall. Again, as mentioned before, di matteo, Chelsea, won champs league, sacked. Ancelotti, Madrid, won la liga, sacked. That would never happen in hockey.
If lord wins the league and/or the CC cup, would his job be under threat because the owners wanted someone specific of their choice in charge? Absolutely not.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is mad.

And rempel 16, didn't a non league club, Burton Albion perhaps, get rid of their manager years ago to employ Nigel clough? I'm sure there's other examples too.

Finny

You are all missing the point as per usual. Taking snippets from a post and then twisting it to suit, doesn't work. Finny, once again your arrogance proceeds you and once again you will no doubt get away with it. Because you disagree, I'm stupid?? Who on earth do you think you are?

I've not once said, Lord is coach because there's no one else, not once. What I have said is that if he parted company with us, for whatever reason, there would not be a long list of candidates to take over. If I'm wrong then fine, give me a list. Don't try to belittle me in front of your mates.
I've also said, in football, even if a high profile manager is dismissed, there's always plenty of as good, and many better, alternatives. Which is more of a fact than a statement.
I never said you were stupid. I said your posts were wrong/stupid. Which they are.
You said football managers get sacked even when they have won league titles, but that would never happen in hockey. Yet when it was pointed out that was exactly what Sheffield did with Adams you brushed it aside and then posted the exact same thing today. There are other examples too. Paul Heavey won a league title and a playoff final between 97 and 99. And then a year later was sacked. Paul Adey won the league with the Giants at a canter and yet his contract wasn't renewed that summer. IIRC the GM was a certain Todd Kelman.

Do you really want me to come up with a list of potential coaches if Lord left? A very strange request but perhaps it's the only way you'll realise how daft your argument is:
Jake Morissette. Scott Hotham. Andrew Hotham, Mark Richardson, Mark Louis, Patrick Asselin, Sean Bentivoglio, David Brine, Matt Myers, Layne Ulmer, Jeff Ulmer, David Clarke, Jono Phillips, Omar Pacha, Danny Stewart, Brent Pope, Dave Whistlle, Gerad Adams, Ryan Finnerty, Mike Duco.

There's 20. How many did you want?

Finny

In fact, it's probably easier to be a coach in the EIHL than in football.
If you want to be a football manager in a professional league you have to have a Level 4 UEFA licence. Level 5 if the team is in the Premier League. To get to that level takes 3-4 years.

Is that the same in hockey? I don't think so. You need someone on the bench to hold certain coaching badges but I don't think that applies to the actual coach as it does in football.

KaneDevils

But in football it's well documented why successful managers are replaced in football. Highly unlikely that would be the same in hockey. We probably don't know what those managers left that you mentioned. Most likely offered better positions.
Your list of potential future devils coach's goes against what this debate started out as. But never mind.
Most of them have no coaching experience whatsoever. Most probably wouldn't be interested and some suggestions are plain stupid.
Brent pope? Is that supposed to be funny? Clutching at straws pal.
If there was top quality coach's around then finnerty would of been replaced at the clan long ago, May of not been offered it in the first place.
Also if there's a large list of available top quality coach's around, why does your list mainly consist of players?

You continue to read what you want to read, pull bits out of certain posts and add the rest yourself, and quite often miss the point as a result.

Finny

But in football it's well documented why successful managers are replaced in football. Highly unlikely that would be the same in hockey. We probably don't know what those managers left that you mentioned. Most likely offered better positions.
Your list of potential future devils coach's goes against what this debate started out as. But never mind.
Most of them have no coaching experience whatsoever. Most probably wouldn't be interested and some suggestions are plain stupid.
Brent pope? Is that supposed to be funny? Clutching at straws pal.
If there was top quality coach's around then finnerty would of been replaced at the clan long ago, May of not been offered it in the first place.
Also if there's a large list of available top quality coach's around, why does your list mainly consist of players?

You continue to read what you want to read, pull bits out of certain posts and add the rest yourself, and quite often miss the point as a result.
See KaneDevils, in this one post you have beautifully displayed your lack of knowledge. I know you don't like me putting facts in my post (?????????) but we do know what happened to those managers.
Adams - was sacked and didn't move to another team. Ended up working for Royal Mail.
Heavey - ended up getting a job with Ayr, who had money issues and were looking to cut their budget. Went bust a year later.
Adey - hasn't got a job in hockey since. Which I always find surprising.

Most of list have no coaching experience? THAT'S THE POINT!!!
When Lord was made coach what experience did he have? None
When Adams was made coach what experience did he have? None
When Patterson was made coach what experience did he have? None
When Heavey was made coach what experience did he have? None
When Lawless was made coach what experience did he have? None

So by my reckoning in the 30 years of the Cardiff Devils only one coach who won silverware had previous coaching experience. And that was Brian Kanewischer 27 year ago.

KaneDevils

Read through the entire thread Mark. The whole thread. You continue to miss the point. Your basically backing up and proving points that were made pages ago.

In other news;

The cardiff devils were today celebrating a dramatic rise in season ticket sales after it was revealed that brent pope would be coach for the 17/18 elite league season. Long serving fans have described the move as a statement of intent and that pope has only ever had the devils best interest at heart. If rumours are to be believed, pope turned down offers from both the ahl and the del, to return to his dream club, where he is idolized by everyone, in the city of cardiff.

Devil_Abroad

If you speak to Arsenal fans who clamour for Wenger to leave and ask the question who would replace him you'd struggle to get 3 names.

I'm sure the owners can muster more than that number if they ever decided that Lord had taken the club as far as he could.

Devil_Abroad

I am, and I disagree. I disagree with your assumption that because the Premier league's status in the world of football is higher than the EIHL's status in the word of hockey that there are far greater number of managers from which Premier league clubs can choose. How many hockey leagues around the world are at the same level as EIHL or just below? Countless. So I disagree with your point if that is your argument.

Finny

Read through the entire thread Mark. The whole thread. You continue to miss the point. Your basically backing up and proving points that were made pages ago.
I have re-read the whole thread thanks. But I admit I'm struggling to work out what point you and Electro are trying to make. I'm not convinced either of you know either. Electro made an odd statement which took the thread way off-topic and you jumped in to back him up. Presumably because you just want an argument.

So please, explain to me explicitly what your point is:

Devil_Abroad

Their more Obsessed with trying to argue and belittle rather than discuss like an adult. Finny posts a load of facts, which offers nothing to the debate and everyone "likes" it. Hilarious as it is pathetic.
The irony of a post that accuses another of belittling whilst trying to belittle that very person.

Maybe people like his posts because they understand his argument and agree with it?

This isn't personal. It's a forum for debate. For a good debate people usually quote facts.

We don't always agree with each other. If we did then we wouldn't be debating.

Last edited: