My Bumper Cardiff Devils debate thread for boys (and girls)

Re: My Bumper Cardiff Devils debate thread for boys (and gir

The odd player aside, the Devils haven't been physical for years and have been dominated by North Americans.

jimmy snels

Soundwave1 said:
The odd player aside, the Devils haven't been physical for years and have been dominated by North Americans.
My thoughts exactly. Id actually think getting a player like colt king and a couple of tough d men like plumers who aint scared but can play, and put out fast hockey using whatever nationality will work fine. A team of goons wouldn't work. Its about balance. Svete looked brilliant last night. Id have him over olson for example.

ASHIPP

jimmy snels said:
Soundwave1 said:
My thoughts exactly. Id actually think getting a player like colt king and a couple of tough d men like plumers who aint scared but can play, and put out fast hockey using whatever nationality will work fine. A team of goons wouldn't work. Its about balance. Svete looked brilliant last night. Id have him over olson for example.
+1

Isnt it ironic that several people are moaning that the team would be weakened by the transition to a European/North American mix yet right now our team is demonstrating it works. All our new players so far have been performing well. It is very refreshing to see.

In a league predominately Canadian/American imports we cannot possibly 'write off' Europeans.....because there have not been enough of them for us to make proper assessment.

Isnt it all about balance? A team needs to posess a mixture of skill, speed and toughness.....irrespective of the nationality. And there are skilled and tough European players in leagues all over Europe... KHL, Slovakian, Austrian and German leagues for example.

TheStub

Thread starter #124

I can't help feeling this preference for NA comes from the coaches who are mainly North Americans or played their careers with North Americans.

It wouldn't surprise me to find Giants have more euro players next season when Adey is signing rather than Kelman.

Paul Sullivan

buzzwagon said:
I think a few of you are firing off names of European players but just because they were born in Europe doesn't mean they were schooled or coached in Europe.
A lot of young European prospects end up being taken over to N.America to be coached.
I'm sure if you ask Max I believe he went over to N.America as a teenager.
So just because a player is born in Europe doesn't. Necessary mean he learnt his trade there.
Hush you with your factual nonsense. Next you will be telling us that Mr Kurka had a lengthy spell in North America.

This nationality debate is academic, frankly, and has only become an issue due to PR saying the League has changed to go in that direction, which is simply not true unless you see the Devils as the ones doing the changing (23 non NA imports in the League and we have 7).

For me I don't see too many fans questioning the origin of players. I see them questioning the quality of them. If we signed extremely low-rent Canadians they wouldn't be happy then, either.

Mooney#16

The point being people are making quotes like low rent european. Low quality european. It is all a giant budget cut to bring the Devils down. They won't watch pansie euro hockey. All statements made, used as reasons to gather steam behind the Pope out banner. The simple answer is these people are talking crap about something they don't know and understand and hijacking a valid complaint to form an agenda because they want tough north american hockey. All these comments and remarks were made prior to this weekend when the guys had even touched the ice.

People like Plumton, they liked Cook. They haven't set the world alight in their careers so far so were they low rent North Americans bringing down the team. No they were quality value for money buys. As the europeans might be.

I'm being consistent here in saying. If the arguement with Poper is about player treatment then fair enough crack on. But if it drifts to fan interference with hockey policy I'm going to jump all over it because that is agenda something this clearly isn't about.

Mooney#16

I think I've covered the trend aspects of where the league is going previously also. To say its not happening and that PR and Brent are wrong is an inaccuracy on your part. i know I'm coming of as a FOB here but I can't see topics used to get the sheep in a row that are purely in reality hockey topics of debate and opinion. That is no reason to stand and protest outside the drive someone from there post. The protest if it takes place has to be kept on topic of treatment of players and governance of the club in the public domain.

Mooney#16 said:
It might be a trend being driven by league officials and referees though. The refs are IIHF guys and generally ref to the rule book and style of European hockey and not North American. They also ref within international competitions which on the whole are far more fast paced and skilled than fraught with rough housing and cheap shots. The bans handed down by Moray have been very restrictive on rough stuff and with the instigator rule has tied the hands of the enforcers. This league is by design going in the direction of fast transition hockey not grinding dump and chase forechecking and trap D which have been the life blood of the Devils for years.

On this one particular subject I would agree with Brent. Hockey has changed globally in its thinking and players now have to have serious wheels to compete and with good hands thrown in. It's not about nationality but it is about hockey philosophies. If players are available who can transition the puck better and have the wheels to beat defensive systems while retaining possession you would take them in a flash. It's frankly bull to just say Europeans come cheap. It's an urban myth. There is serious money on the continent in hockey. Crap players come cheap irrespective of nationality. If Brent wants to try to adapt the team to and system to better accommodate the refereeing in this league good on him. He is allowed to pioneer a concept also and it will serve him well to have adapted that style when entering the new building and larger ice surface if he ever gets there of course.

I think fans need to hold there hands up and admit that barring a few they are wholly uneducated and informed to make statements about player recruitment and playing systems. It's opinion based on very little knowledge in reality.

Like I will continue to say. Fight for players treatment. Fight for better governance. But recruitment policy, style and systems. It's not devils fans strong point.

jimmy snels

Paul Sullivan said:
buzzwagon said:
I think a few of you are firing off names of European players but just because they were born in Europe doesn't mean they were schooled or coached in Europe.
A lot of young European prospects end up being taken over to N.America to be coached.
So just because a player is born in Europe doesn't. Necessary mean he learnt his trade there.
Hush you with your factual nonsense. Next you will be telling us that Mr Kurka had a lengthy spell in North America.

This nationality debate is academic, frankly, and has only become an issue due to PR saying the League has changed to go in that direction, which is simply not true unless you see the Devils as the ones doing the changing (23 non NA imports in the League and we have 7).

For me I don't see too many fans questioning the origin of players. I see them questioning the quality of them. If we signed extremely low-rent Canadians they wouldn't be happy then, either.
But these aren't extremely low quality. All have played at arguably a better level than here in the past in finland, Austria and del. Just watching the games this weekend you could see this. Svete for example looking every part the dman we needed, fast and nimble. I would have liked to see a big stay at home dman with him but 2wins in 2nights (and robbed in Coventry) maybe im wrong!
Also yes kurka played NA but he was trained in Europe. That was the point in question. Euro hockey is a quality product. If it costs us less to see the equivalent standard brilliant. More money to be spent elsewhere. I just hope these guys ain't as keen to join the fans at the bar in all honesty and prefer to stay professional in their own approach.

TheStub

Thread starter #129

Paul Sullivan said:
buzzwagon said:
I would still like to see how the Devils North American imports faked against the top Euro leagues. Slavia Praha would trot past any team in the elite league, with their majority Czech raised and trained players. We are also forgetting the number of top flight NHL players signed from Europe on try out contracts. Like Bruner for NJ (formerly Detroit). The systems around the world are largely becoming harmonised.

Paul Sullivan said:
I think his message is confused, but the thrust true. The IIHF (and NHL) and therefore the elite league are pushing a more open passing style of play through their choice of rules and how they enforce them. This is a long debate, but I think there is a convoys but unspoken desire to reduce the "fighting" to change the image of the sport. That is a debate for another thread... In the off season when we're bored.

But when we are taking about Euro I actually hear "faster, skilled player who can skate with the puck".

Maybe Brent has confused him message to his boss (for a change)

Paul Sullivan said:
For me I don't see too many fans questioning the origin of players.
I do, a lot. On here and social media. Mooney has got it quite right, you support all the players or none of them. The new and the old. We should want them to all be treated fair.
quote="Paul Sullivan"]I see them questioning the quality of them.[/quote]
Often on the basis of never having seen them play, or having seem the situations we've signed them to play in.

quote="Paul Sullivan"]If we signed extremely low-rent Canadians they wouldn't be happy then, either.[/quote]
Finally what the argument should be.

Good players are good players. Regardless where they are from.

The benefit of signing the same quality euro player over a Canadian is the up front costs. Cheaper flights, no visas to apply or pay for etc. It is a good market for us to look in... If our budget remains the same we could pick up a stronger squad. Mixing in the academic draw for top end players from anywhere in the world.

Signing Euros doesn't change the quality of the squad, but signing useless players from anywhere does. Can we judge how useless the recent signings are yet?

Disappointment

For starters Ragan on his interveiw lied and just said what fans want to hear
Brent pope is the worst coach I have ever seen and treats the players to point of they don't want to put the devils jersey on
Ragan treated g so badly and I am not surprised he hasn't cancelled g's testimonial
We have signed all these euro players we just don't need and then want to release old players that have been here from the start
How hard must it be for the players to be nervous all the time hoping to have a job by the end of the game
And there is more, but I would probably be here forever
P.s Brent's hats make him look idiotic and that's an understatement!

TheStub

Thread starter #133
Re: Disappointment

Another thread like this really?

I've locked it until I get to a computer and then I'll merge it into the debate thread.

Why is it always negative??

I have been looking at this forum for some time now and all I ever see is negative posts?
It seems to me the fans get involved in the politics side of the club when they shouldn't.

Why don't you turn up support our team?
The players try there best and they need all the support they can get.

TheStub

Thread starter #135
Re: Why is it always negative??

See my reply to the other topic. We have a nicer bumper thread for this... I'll move this post there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Slartibartfast

I just want to express my sympathy and thanks to the mods who are doing a great job in a very difficult situation.
The number of people from both camps starting threads to start the same old argument is getting ridiculous. Lots of threads are being locked and merged (and rightly so).
Please give the mods a break and just talk about hockey. By now we all know who thinks BP and PR are wrong and who doesn't so lets have a break.
If you need an argument that much then there is a special room for it here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnTmBjk-M0c

jimmy snels said:
Zdeno Chára (Slovak) being a prime example of a pansie European who won't drop the gloves :DWD

I really dispare at some of you. It wouldn't matter what it was you'd be moaning. No doubts there's been some shabby pr put out etc but in all honesty you've gone beyond what a fan should know by getting close to the players and club. I think the best thing most of you could do is step back and just watch the bloody game... like me! We were really good last night. Get over on that thread and talk hockey :D
Agree but lets be honest Chara only fights players below six foot and then holds on for dear life!! :smile:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Mooney#16 said:
The point being people are making quotes like low rent european. Low quality european. It is all a giant budget cut to bring the Devils down. They won't watch pansie euro hockey. All statements made, used as reasons to gather steam behind the Pope out banner. The simple answer is these people are talking crap about something they don't know and understand and hijacking a valid complaint to form an agenda because they want tough north american hockey. All these comments and remarks were made prior to this weekend when the guys had even touched the ice.

People like Plumton, they liked Cook. They haven't set the world alight in their careers so far so were they low rent North Americans bringing down the team. No they were quality value for money buys. As the europeans might be.

I'm being consistent here in saying. If the arguement with Poper is about player treatment then fair enough crack on. But if it drifts to fan interference with hockey policy I'm going to jump all over it because that is agenda something this clearly isn't about.
As someone who made the pansie euro comment i feel the need to clarify. I have no issue with European players and think a mix of players would be good for the league. What I took issue with was PR saying that we are going in the direction of a euro league. As a fan of the north American style first and foremost, i would be disappointed to see this.

danhall76 said:
Mooney#16 said:

As someone who made the pansie euro comment i feel the need to clarify. I have no issue with European players and think a mix of players would be good for the league. What I took issue with was PR saying that we are going in the direction of a euro league. As a fan of the north American style first and foremost, i would be disappointed to see this.

In fairness, I think that it's a reactionary move rather than anything else.

As Stub says, from the NHL down the game is changing and now foul play is being dealt with increasingly through the disciplinary process rather then on the ice. I enjoy the fights as part of the tactical make up of a hockey game. I don't want to see them disappear and think the instigator rule has a lot to answer for.

However, the game is only going one way and I can see why clubs would take an 'if you can't beat them join them' stance. Particularly as the Devils seem to get dealt with unjustly time after time when things go to the disciplinary process.

That said, continental European players are easily physical enough when it comes to hitting, it's just the fighting aspect that dwindles. Although, the last few years we've had the north south game without the physicality so I don't think we'll see a less physical Devils team next year...would that be possible?

Ideally I'd like to see a mix and hopefully the more enjoyable aspects of both styles of hockey will rub off on the players within next years team :)

Interestingly PR singles out Belfast in the interview who for mine have been the most physical team we've played against this season by a stretch (the odd Steelers game aside) They just have bags of speed and skill to go with it. I'd take watching a Belfast style team assembled next year no problem :D