Next years team.

KaneDevils

Finny said:
KaneDevils said:
Whilst it wasn't as exciting as 14/15, if you genuinely think that was the most boring season ever then you can't have been a fan for long. Presumably you didn't see the second half of the 13/14 season.
A) Do you have to be so arrogant?
B) Is it not about opinion?

I wouldn't necessarily call it the most boring, but did feel bored during quite a few games I must be honest. People were saying they felt they were not being entertained months and months ago.
Do you have to disagree with me for the sake of it, when you seem to be agreeing with me? :lol:
Some games were boring. Some games were very bad. But it wasn't the most boring season ever. It's not even the most boring season in the last three years.
In your opinion. I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was referring to your arrogance., i.e. if that's what you think you can't have been a fan for long. That's arrogant. It's you all over. People have stopped posting on here because of you, as your aware.

JT666

ASHIPP said:
The respect afforded to Gerad Adams is completely deserved...a coach whose talents were finally proved when he went to a club that was stable, could give him the support and backing to drive a team with none of the baggage and infighting he'd had to tolerate under the consecutive old regimes at Devils.....it's completely baffling why the Steelers released him after bringing success to that Club.

But he and his family have a settled sane life away from hockey and live in the North.

Lordo has that same passion and commitment as G. And will make mistakes just like G did
learning his role. Fortunately Lordo is in a nuturing supportive stable environment where he will get some additional support if he needs it.

Whatever role he decides for next season,( coach or player/coach) he is most definitely the man for the job. And its refreshing to remember that, for seasons 1 and 2 he's already steered the team to achievements we could only have dreamt of for all those years.
Thanks for the update, Ashipp.

Judging by TK's words this evening, Lordo is here to stay as coach "for as long as he wants it". Aside from a playing NHL on PS4, I have literally no idea about ice hockey tactics or coaching, but it's clear to see from the outside the guy is passionate about this club. Let's hope next season we sign a few more players who more openly emulate his passion and drive for the entire season.

Finny said:
Devil May Care said:
A lot of the problems with player performances this season can be put down to weak coaching. As I have said before, Lordo bleeds devil red, however he's not ready to bench coach (too young with more playing in him and also too inexperienced right now).

The smart thing to do is to make Lordo Captain and play down the lines and tap Chuck Weber up.

This is a coach who knows his stuff, coached in the KHL and AHL and takes no nonsense. He would tell Hotham too cool it with the rushing and concentrate on D. The only situation I would keep him under. Along with that, Weber is not going to be given any money to improve a Coventry side who have clearly benefitted since his aquisition there. He would do wonders at Cardiff and Lordo as Captain could be his protégé. Makes good sense to me.

Weber?
You do realise he won nothing this year? And barely finished 8th. And our rubbish, inexperienced player-coach beat him 9 times out of the 13 games? Having finished 2nd in the league.

Do we really think Coventry only had the 8th biggest budget in the league?
Yes...and we beat him with a far superior roster of players who are big time chokers! Tactically we were embarresing this year, playing one dimentional, dull and unadventurous hockey. Take a look at Weber's resume. But of course your an arrogant know it all aren't you. No wonder this forum doesn't attract new posters!! And by the way, I'm not happy with being second, as some people are!!

Finny

Devil May Care said:
Yes...and we beat him with a far superior roster of players who are big time chokers! Tactically we were embarresing this year, playing one dimentional, dull and unadventurous hockey. Take a look at Weber's resume. But of course your an arrogant know it all aren't you. No wonder this forum doesn't attract new posters!! And by the way, I'm not happy with being second, as some people are!!
Not sure how I can be called arrogant when it was you stated that the player problems this year were down to Lord and that he's not ready to bench-coach yet? Is that not arrogance?

Should we not give Lord some credit for recruiting that far superior roster? A roster that was based on a budget of a team in a 2300 capacity rink compared to Coventry whose budget was based on a team in a 2800 rink.
I've looked at Weber's resume. Very impressive for the first decade or so. But since 2010 it's been pretty much downhill. Head-coach of an AHL team - and took a team that finished 2nd the previous season to 7th. Having missed out on the playoffs he 'moved on' and joined a rival AHL team. A good first year was followed by a disappointing second year that saw Weber demoted to Assistant Coach. And then to Director of Hockey.
His stint in the KHL barely lasted a couple of months before he was sacked, and later took over the Coventry job.
His record at ECHL level is very impressive and the rumours are that he will return there this summer. But with most people now believing the EIHL is now a similar level to the top ECHL teams - is that as impressive as it used to be?

And I'm surprised you are suggesting Weber as our next coach when you've been so critical of Lord being one dimensional, dull and unadventurous. This is a coach who has built his career on playing defensive hockey. I seem to remember a lot of Coventry fans complaining about the hockey in the first half of the season which was effectively hoping that Stewart would keep a shutout and the forwards would score a goal or two.

Ocko

Devil May Care said:
I wonder what he would do with the talent at his disposal here in Cardiff. Lord is not ready to be a coach!
Rubbish.

Lord has achieved: Challenge Cup winner. Conference winner. Conference runner up. League runner up. Challenge Cup Runner up and a POFW appearance. Not bad for a team who finished 9th the year before he took over.

He's got things wrong for sure, but he's got an awful lot right too. He's still learning. We will not get a coach that cares as much as Lord, you won't find anyone who will work harder to put it right.

haven't we learned anything from the last 6 weeks then?player coach just does not work and never will.we need someone behind the bench who is experienced and knows what they are doing.the talent on our team is unbelievable yet we struggled to get past Dundee.im hoping lord will have a decent assistant at the very least or I see us really struggling to keep up with Sheffield,nottingham no matter how good our players are.

Finny

I have to say I am absolutely gobsmacked that some people are calling for Lord to step down as coach or be replaced completely.

When he was announced as being our new player-coach in 2014 I'll admit to being a bit underwhelmed. But accepted it because of the cost-cutting being put in place to ensure we didn't go bust like under Ragan.

What we ended up with though was some of the most entertaining attacking, physical hockey I've seen in the history of the club. It far exceeded my expectation. I was a bit surprised that Kelman and the co gave him a 3 year extension after only a couple of months - but we didn't drop. In fact we actually got better and went on a fantastic run that saw us win the CC and just miss out on the league title. At the end of the season people were disappointed at our Playoff exit but there seemed to be unanimous agreement that it had been a fantastic, entertaining season.

If there was one criticism, it was that we were too open. Too attacking. The main criticisms I can remember in the summer were that we went for the same D instead of signing more defensive Dmen.

Those criticisms surfaced again when we got stuffed 8-1 in Sheffield. And as a result we became more cautious away from home. But our results did get better. Two wins in Belfast. Two in Nottingham. One in Sheffield. I'll have to check the last time we did so well in those arenas.

But we still get the cliche'd comments of "Lord was out-coached" "We need someone with more experience".
And yet we finished the season with a winning record against Sheffield.
And a winning record against Nottingham.
And a winning record against Belfast.
And a winning record against Coventry.

In fact the only team who finished with a winning record against us was Braehead. But I'm guessing nobody wants us to replace Lord with Finnerty?

We finished the season with the best PK stats in the league. And despite it's criticism at certain stage of the season, we also finished with the best PP stats in the league (we were actually better away than at home).
Not bad for a coach who some are claiming isn't experienced enough.

Nobody wants to finish 2nd. I want to be 1st but there are another 4 or 5 teams pushing to be 1st too. You can't guarantee success. All you can deman is to be competitive.

When was the last time we finished in the top 3 for two seasons in a row and made a cup final in both?
Answer: 1995.

That was over 20 years ago. And suddenly people think we've not been competitive enough in the last two seasons? I really despair at the unrealistic expectations of some of our fans.

If we had finished mid-table both seasons and not made any finals I could understand the criticism of Lord. But not after two cup finals and two league title challenges.

There is a lot going for the club these days. We've always had a great city, and now we have the new arena to match it. And a fantastic ownership group and management team.
And Lord has to be included in that list too.

I wonder how many people suggesting Lord should be replaced were also saying whilst he was here that Adams wasn't a good enough coach to win trophies.....

Finny

Devil May Care said:
I wonder what he would do with the talent at his disposal here in Cardiff. Lord is not ready to be a coach!
I've found the thread from this time last year where people agreed how brilliant a year it was:
http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8978

Interestingly you were one of the first to reply and say "I have to say I have witnessed the most exciting hockey I have ever seen a Devils side play this season."

One season on you are ready to sack Lord and not give him another chance? Really?

ASHIPP

Compare the achievements of Corey Neilson and Steve Thornton in their first two years as
player/coaches in this league and the Devils' progress in just 2 seasons with a player/coach is quite remarkable.

august04

I just think Lord needs to concentrate solely on playing on game nights. He can't do it all and I think his game has been effected this year. There's no reason why he can't have an assistant coach help him in that regard - someone who knows the game inside out, who can read the game as it progresses and change things if needed. Walser had Stewart this season, Nielsen had Strachan when he was player coach (which has continued). I'm thinking of a Steve Moria type (just using him as an example, not even sure if he's still in the UK?!), someone who's done it all, played at a high level who would be hugely respected and listened to by experienced pros. Someone like that would surely be a huge help to Lord?

Finny said:
Devil May Care said:
I've found the thread from this time last year where people agreed how brilliant a year it was:
http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8978

Interestingly you were one of the first to reply and say "I have to say I have witnessed the most exciting hockey I have ever seen a Devils side play this season."

One season on you are ready to sack Lord and not give him another chance? Really?
After the ragen era and Adams, (a coach who was all huff and puff, and before you say anything, he won with Sheffield because with their budget it was practically impossible not to), it was exciting. Obviously you have not seen, or refuse to see how teams or should I say coaches in suits have worked us out! Play two high and forecheck hard our D who have a liking to hold onto the puck and fiddle around with it in our own zone!!

Where was our plan B there?? I respect Lordo immensely and would like home here just concentrating on his game, but his tactics have been questionable, and sitting Hendrikx was a bad idea. Challenge cup final was aweful to watch agree? We choked on the league title where it was ours to lose, agree? Hotham being not pulled to book over his continuous unforced turn overs, which cost us dearly. All these and more culminated into a desperately disappointing season!

And as for fans expectations, you may want to read Steve King's words. This team is built too win Championships. I come from a Devils era when we did win things. I certainly don't us to have a second right to win silverware...but we choked this year and I don't like that. If you can't see how badly we failed this year then I can't help you with that!

KaneDevils said:
Whilst it wasn't as exciting as 14/15, if you genuinely think that was the most boring season ever then you can't have been a fan for long. Presumably you didn't see the second half of the 13/14 season.
A) Do you have to be so arrogant?
B) Is it not about opinion?

I wouldn't necessarily call it the most boring, but did feel bored during quite a few games I must be honest. People were saying they felt they were not being entertained months and months ago.
Finny, I've been a season ticket holder for the past 9 straight years so perhaps not as long as you but I've watched a fair amount of Devils hockey in that time. I don't disagree the second half of 13/14 was dull & worrying to watch on many levels.
I think the difference is this season everyone had big expectations & we've fallen short in every area. I can accept not winning games if the on ice product is entertaining but when we fall short in every competition and have a dull product at the same time I don't think that's acceptable. The off ice set up is so sterile its impossible to tell whether they realise the situation or not. Im a bit bored of hearing the same broken record interviews after every loss & then watching the same story play out the next game the following week. It's no surprise that people are getting sceptical.

Looking back i admit, memories usually focus on the good times but I've spent this whole season trying to convince myself we were trying to conserve energy or we were carrying injuries only to now reach the end of the season & realise that my gut was right all along - We have just been playing dull one dimensional hockey seemingly blind to the issues.
Theres only one person to blame in that instance and that's the coaching unfortunately.

I'm genuinely gutted as i want to be excited for next season when instead i'm worried we're going to see the same rubbish put on the ice again.
We need character players & there's a lot of things that suggest that Lord doesn't like that kind of player which is a big concern for me.

drainage

Point 1 we didn't watch rubbish point 2 we watched a team fight until last game to win league point 3 we were perennially a mid table team with G as coach point 4 Lord has in 2 seasons had us competing to be in with a chance of winning league /CC both seasons point 5 my ST doesn't say guaranteed to win trophies

Taking all the above into account I take this team and management any day and get they know our disappointment ......take our season over any team placed 3rd or lower even knowing Panthers took 2 trophies (and disliking they did ! )

JC23

Finny said:
I have to say I am absolutely gobsmacked that some people are calling for Lord to step down as coach or be replaced completely.

When he was announced as being our new player-coach in 2014 I'll admit to being a bit underwhelmed. But accepted it because of the cost-cutting being put in place to ensure we didn't go bust like under Ragan.

What we ended up with though was some of the most entertaining attacking, physical hockey I've seen in the history of the club. It far exceeded my expectation. I was a bit surprised that Kelman and the co gave him a 3 year extension after only a couple of months - but we didn't drop. In fact we actually got better and went on a fantastic run that saw us win the CC and just miss out on the league title. At the end of the season people were disappointed at our Playoff exit but there seemed to be unanimous agreement that it had been a fantastic, entertaining season.

If there was one criticism, it was that we were too open. Too attacking. The main criticisms I can remember in the summer were that we went for the same D instead of signing more defensive Dmen.

Those criticisms surfaced again when we got stuffed 8-1 in Sheffield. And as a result we became more cautious away from home. But our results did get better. Two wins in Belfast. Two in Nottingham. One in Sheffield. I'll have to check the last time we did so well in those arenas.

But we still get the cliche'd comments of "Lord was out-coached" "We need someone with more experience".

In fact the only team who finished with a winning record against us was Braehead. But I'm guessing nobody wants us to replace Lord with Finnerty?

We finished the season with the best PK stats in the league. And despite it's criticism at certain stage of the season, we also finished with the best PP stats in the league (we were actually better away than at home).

Nobody wants to finish 2nd. I want to be 1st but there are another 4 or 5 teams pushing to be 1st too. You can't guarantee success. All you can deman is to be competitive.

When was the last time we finished in the top 3 for two seasons in a row and made a cup final in both?

That was over 20 years ago. And suddenly people think we've not been competitive enough in the last two seasons? I really despair at the unrealistic expectations of some of our fans.

If we had finished mid-table both seasons and not made any finals I could understand the criticism of Lord. But not after two cup finals and two league title challenges.

There is a lot going for the club these days. We've always had a great city, and now we have the new arena to match it. And a fantastic ownership group and management team.

I wonder how many people suggesting Lord should be replaced were also saying whilst he was here that Adams wasn't a good enough coach to win trophies.....
*slow clap* - best post this season.

Milky

Finny said:

+1

Thank god, the voice of sense and reason.

Can't believe the rubbish I'm reading on here from some people. I'm embarrassed as a fan to be associated with some of the pathetic views on here. Please go back to playing NHL16 on the Xbox.

jimmy snels

backrow said:
jimmy snels, we know Culligan started late because of last season's injury but he was never given an opportunity to really show what he could do in terms of consistent line mates and power play time. Along with those factors he might have played almost a third of his games on D so I would expect his scoring to be down. I don't think he was given enough credit for his play on defense because he and Josh Batch were only on for 1 goal against in the last 8 games they played together and anyone who really watches the game knows how well he sees the ice and passes the puck.

I think several other teams would be interested in giving him a chance to play a prominent consistent role!
I do "really watch the game" Thank you very much. I thought he filled in well on D and appreciate he did a good job there. My point was when playing as a forward i dont see him as a big threat/goal scorer. Which in reality may not be his way of playing or what he's asked to do Hence why i was undecided!