Playoffs qualifiers...

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #21
It's already been mentioned though that Adams likes to play the 1st leg at home...

Despite what we might want, it's going to come down to his call I suspect, it's even been mentioned, perhaps on THF that we've asked for the Saturday...

Chris.

Yes it will be Adams choice, and as stated before, in the Echo yesterday he is VERY keen to play sheffield at home on Sunday. We will all find out soon enough, and I expect we will all be there what ever the night to cheer them on :D

Finny

I guess only Adams and the players know how much travelling can affect them. If it was Belfast, Newcastle or Edinburgh I would definately decide to play home first and make the other team do the travelling.

However, Sheffield is only around 200 miles and we would still be home around 1am. In which case I think the home crowd in the second leg will be more crucial.

A

Anonymous

Chris said:
How on earth could it have been sorted before today?

The games weren't set until last night, if results had gone differently they wouldn't be set until tonight...

The teams will have wanted to see who they were playing before sorting out travel arrangements and where the 1st legs would be.

Chris.
I mean date wise Chris. It should be clear that if you finish 1st then you will play the 8th placed team at home March 28th or whatever. Its planned much better in other sports why should hockey be an exception?

Bexause if we were playing Edinburgh, or Newcastle, Hull or Belfast, we'd probably prefer to play home on the Saturday to cut down the travelling. If it was set you had to play home Sunday if you're top four we'd be at a disadvantage for finishing in a higher place!

Russky

This is typical of the arrogance of the Steelers in assuming they will be at home on the sunday irrespective of who they are playing!
If I was G, I would Demand that our home leg is on sunday just to embarrass the Steelers for their assumption! We finished above the steelers so we should have the choice of venue for the second leg!

A

Anonymous

Perhaps the coach's could be asked at the start of the season or whenever, if they want to play the first leg home or away. Then it could be decided weeks/months in advance. After all, most would prefer to play away first on the Saturday as its more of an advantage really, and it would also mean the fans of the higher placed side wouldn't have to travel back late on the Sunday night. All the advantages should go to the team who finish the higher. Really hope that makes sense and it is of course only my opinion.
Thats right Russky I agree!

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #29
Perhaps the coach's could be asked at the start of the season or whenever, if they want to play the first leg home or away. Then it could be decided weeks/months in advance. After all, most would prefer to play away first on the Saturday as its more of an advantage really, and it would also mean the fans of the higher placed side wouldn't have to travel back late on the Sunday night.
But it clearly doesn't work like that in all cases.

It has already been mentioned on here that Adams likes to play the 1st leg at home.

It has been mentioned on THF that Cardiff requested a Saturday game at a league meeting.

We might not like it as fans, but it's not our choice.

We can blame the Steelers as much as we want, but if we've asked for, and been given the Saturday game then they're not at fault.

Chris.

Well i can tell you in the Giants Vipers qualifier both teams had requested the Saturday home game, because Giants finished higher they got first call and took the first leg at home.

At one point it looked like Steelers and Panthers were going to meet so maybe they(steelers0 were trying some mind games in trying to take the Sunday game away from them.

Do the teams look at the 2 legs from a 'playing side' or a 'financial side', In our case the Giants know they can get more in on a Saturday night meaning more money through the door but are giving up on probably the most important game of the season the 2nd leg of a Playoff qualifier.

Most qualifiers barring a 'blow out' score ie 5 or 6 nil aren't decided until the 2nd leg and surely you want to play in your own rink in front of your own fans to finish off the job or stage a comeback.

A

Anonymous

bluedevil said:
Franny just confirmed we're home on the Saturday. Personally I'd rather it the other way round, but if G prefers to be home first what can you do?
Yeah, I'd have to agree. Surely its better to play away first? One good thing, this means I get to go to the game :p

What a bizarre decision to play the 1st leg at home on Saturday... talk about shooting yourself in the foot! Like someone has already said, games are often won or lost on the result of the 2nd leg so to decide to play it away from home is madness!

The Devils obviously want Sheffield's players to be tired from travelling down, playing, then travelling back. Just hope it all works out as planned, so we can at least keep up our record of making the Final four.

A

Anonymous

Just reading the stats and that from the Hull vs Shuff game tonight. Talbot received a 2+10+game. Is that likely to involve some kind of suspension, ruling him out of the 1st or 2nd leg, or even both ??

kettdevil1

TheDevilTorn said:
Just reading the stats and that from the Hull vs Shuff game tonight. Talbot received a 2+10+game. Is that likely to involve some kind of suspension, ruling him out of the 1st or 2nd leg, or even both ??
No. As it was a Game rather than a Match he should be fine for next weekend.

Finny

TheDevilTorn said:
Perhaps the coach's could be asked at the start of the season or whenever, if they want to play the first leg home or away. Then it could be decided weeks/months in advance.
But they wouldn't have known until the last couple of weeks where they would finish in the league and who they would play.
Anyway - it's all irrelevant now as from next season we have the return of the group stage. Hoorah!!!

So the Devils management capitulates again !! I'm beginning to think it's only the Devils' fans who are prepared to stick up for their club's rights....against the Steelers.
So we give the Steelers first advantage... by allowing them to play the 2nd leg of the play-off quarter final at their home rink. If you go on to the Steelers' forum there are posters hoping that the away leg is on the Saturday so that they can travel to support their team....which they would be unable to do if it were on a Sunday because of early Monday morning work commitments....quite naturally so. But WE are supposed to have that advantage for OUR SUPPORTERS ! ( Remember - "We play for the jersey, the city....AND THE FANS !")
And...why was this decision not forthcoming until just before tonight's match? Probably the management wanted to face as little flack as possible! I don't believe for one minute it's as simple as ...... Adams prefers to play the home leg first...whatever some people say. And since it has been pretty obvious for some time that we were going to finish 4th.....and increasingly likely that our opponents were going to be Sheffield.....my guess is that this pathetic decision has been known by devils' management for some time.
Whatever we sometimes believe re. the Steelers ruling the roost.....the rules for the play off quarter finals' venues...cannot say that the arena teams have first choice! Our decision to forego home 2nd leg advantage is a sign of weakness...almost surrender .....to the Steelers' ...by our management......and a kick in the teeth for loyal Devils' supporters.