Playoffs qualifiers...

Wannabe2

Bad decision to play at home first, Steelers will bring a army down Sat as its easier for them, we dont get the same crowds as a Sunday, and Devils fans dont get to see there team qualifing, if we do. Its not Gs fault but the club should have been stronger, as it is, it didnt matter if we finished in 4th or 5th. Shot ourselves in the foot again, and not for the first time.

Wannabe2

Taken off Panthers website

The winners of that tie (Panthers V Edinburgh) face the winners of the Belfast-Newcastle quarter-final in the second semi-final on the play-off finals weekend (5pm on the Saturday).

The winners of Coventry v Hull take on the winners of the Sheffield v Cardiff quarter-final in the first semi-final at the POFW

Gazza272

Wannabe2 said:

The winners of that tie (Panthers V Edinburgh) face the winners of the Belfast-Newcastle quarter-final in the second semi-final on the play-off finals weekend (5pm on the Saturday).

The winners of Coventry v Hull take on the winners of the Sheffield v Cardiff quarter-final in the first semi-final at the POFW

Eh?

Shouldnt it be seeded depending on who goes through? I.e say its us, Hulll Giants, Caps. Belfast should play Hull and we should play the caps.

Finny

So if they won all their matches, Sheffield and Nottingham wouldn't meet until the final.....

In the past they have fiddled it like Gazza has said so the semi-finals are based on the seedings of the individual teams. The year Nottingham won it, they tried to keep them and Coventry apart until the final - only for us to beat Coventy.

IMO this is the fairest way to do it. A v D and B v C.

Rempel16

Gazza272 said:
Wannabe2 said:

Eh?

Shouldnt it be seeded depending on who goes through? I.e say its us, Hulll Giants, Caps. Belfast should play Hull and we should play the caps.

Rempel16

But would Hull not become the no.1 seed if they knock out the no.1 seed?

Coventry, as the champs, should get the easiest route to the final and playing the winner of 4th/5th would be just that.

The Stanley Cup operates in the same way, whereby the draw route is already pre-determined, but the lower seed just assumes the place of the higher seed if they were to knock the said higher seed out.

Gazza272

Rempel16 said:

Coventry, as the champs, should get the easiest route to the final and playing the winner of 4th/5th would be just that.

The Stanley Cup operates in the same way, whereby the draw route is already pre-determined, but the lower seed just assumes the place of the higher seed if they were to knock the said higher seed out.

So say Pittsburgh finish 1st and philly 8th, If philly win the first round are they considered the top seed for the rest of the playoffs or jsut the next round?

Have to say i never knew that, you do learn something new every day.

Rempel16

Gazza272 said:
Rempel16 said:

So say Pittsburgh finish 1st and philly 8th, If philly win the first round are they considered the top seed for the rest of the playoffs or jsut the next round?

Have to say i never knew that, you do learn something new every day.
Well yeah just about, because the draw is exactly the same every year. It is always pre-determined that the winner of 1v8 gets the winner of 4v5 and then 2v3 gets winner of 6v7.

If #8 were to get past #1, they would then have the advantage of having more home games in the next series.

I'm not sure how it works if the 8th place team wins the conference final to be matched up against (for example) #1 from the other conference. I would assume that the #1 team would still hold advantage then due to regular season standing.

At the end of the day I dont think it matters where you play first.If the Devils take a 2 or 3 goal lead into the second leg then everyone will be saying G is a genius.And with the Devils away form being at best inconsistant do we want the Steelers arriving here with a lead?
There are six periods of hockey to be played and that will decide who goes through not where you play the first or second leg. We just have to accept that the club took a gamble on Edinburgh finishing higher than the Steelers.You win some you lose some.
The Devils need support not criticism so get down to the rink be it Saturday or Sunday and get behind them.

DevilDom

fried egg said:
At the end of the day I dont think it matters where you play first.If the Devils take a 2 or 3 goal lead into the second leg then everyone will be saying G is a genius.And with the Devils away form being at best inconsistant do we want the Steelers arriving here with a lead?
There are six periods of hockey to be played and that will decide who goes through not where you play the first or second leg. We just have to accept that the club took a gamble on Edinburgh finishing higher than the Steelers.You win some you lose some.
The Devils need support not criticism so get down to the rink be it Saturday or Sunday and get behind them.
Well said.

Wannabe2

Still think the 2nd leg is the game though, and should we qualify then it would have been nice to have done it front of the Devils fans, think they at least deserve a little consideration, also it would have been a bit more attractive to local TV as we would have had the tapes and a good story now the 6 nations have finished dominating the news. But hey ho there we go, nothing is a surprise anymore.

Wannabe2

Wannabe2 said:
Still think the 2nd leg is the game though, and should we qualify then it would have been nice to have done it in front of the Devils faithful fans, think they at least deserve a little consideration, also it would have been a bit more attractive to local TV as we would have had the tapes and a good story now the 6 nations have finished dominating the news. But hey ho there we go, nothing is a surprise anymore.
Oops

Finny

From what people were saying last night and on here today, it sounded like we decided ages ago to play the game on Saturday at home, and had arranged the ENL games around it.

However, on THF there is now a post that says an ENL 2 game has been cancelled because of our game on the Saturday. And they are now being offered the Sunday night at 4.30pm instead.

This gets more and more bizarre by the hour.

A

Anonymous

Hockey politics! Believe nothing trust no one. Perhaps we should all stop bloody moaning and look forward to the game(s). I know I am, tickets bought, lets go! Game on! :D :twisted: :D

fried egg said:
WE ARE the Devils'.....supporters and fans. We are constantly being told by Devils' management to "let us know what you think". You won't achieve improvements by being uncritical, afraid to say anything, passive viewers. Of course we'll be there on Saturday....and many, quite fed up with the decision of 'whoever', will travel on Sunday, despite this. After another season when many supporters have brought newcomers to watch ther Devils....I just think that when it comes to decisions like this one - this club, the Cardiff Devils....is not being straight and up-front with its fans.

schulersagoodun said:
fried egg said:
WE ARE the Devils'.....supporters and fans. We are constantly being told by Devils' management to "let us know what you think". You won't achieve improvements by being uncritical, afraid to say anything, passive viewers. Of course we'll be there on Saturday....and many, quite fed up with the decision of 'whoever', will travel on Sunday, despite this. After another season when many supporters have brought newcomers to watch ther Devils....I just think that when it comes to decisions like this one - this club, the Cardiff Devils....is not being straight and up-front with its fans.
I have to agree with this one, there's no sense on picking our home leg on the Saturday, I don't think we picked this, I think it was chosen for us which is completely out of order and if it wasn't chosen for us then they're taking a very silly risk, I remember Manchester where we chose the 1st leg at home and we almost messed up then

ASHIPP

The league series between Shuff and the Devils was pretty even results wise. Devils have beaten them away, and they have beaten the Devils at the Tent. In the playoffs, the teams will be fairly evenly matched, even though this is a different sort of tournament.

Whatever the politics involved in the decision for the Devils to play at home on Saturday, at the very least it means that the Devils will only have to travel ONCE over the qualifier weekend. Hopefully they maximise the home advantage on Saturday and go to Sheffield with a comfortable goal lead. Remember last time at the tent? 5-4 to Steelers? Guys like Hubbauer, Legue, Talbot and Zion are lethal! :eek:
It's wasted energy analysing things over which the TEAM and the FANS have no control - energy that would be better spent actually supporting the Devils this weekend.

James

Administrator
Finny said:
From what people were saying last night and on here today, it sounded like we decided ages ago to play the game on Saturday at home, and had arranged the ENL games around it.

However, on THF there is now a post that says an ENL 2 game has been cancelled because of our game on the Saturday. And they are now being offered the Sunday night at 4.30pm instead.

This gets more and more bizarre by the hour.
But the ENL1 playoff game is on sunday. wouldn't it be that one that its organised around. Pity both the ENL playoff games are during the Elite playoffs. Was looking forward to em

Finny

James said:
But the ENL1 playoff game is on sunday. wouldn't it be that one that its organised around. Pity both the ENL playoff games are during the Elite playoffs. Was looking forward to em
Yeh. I was tired when I posted last night, got confused between ENL1 and ENL2. :oops: