Playoffs qualifiers...

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #41
and increasingly likely that our opponents were going to be Sheffield.....my guess is that this pathetic decision has been known by devils' management for some time.
Erm...

If last nights results had been different, Capitals could still have finished above the Steelers...

Chris.

A

Anonymous

schulersagoodun said:
So the Devils management capitulates again !! I'm beginning to think it's only the Devils' fans who are prepared to stick up for their club's rights....against the Steelers.
So we give the Steelers first advantage... by allowing them to play the 2nd leg of the play-off quarter final at their home rink. If you go on to the Steelers' forum there are posters hoping that the away leg is on the Saturday so that they can travel to support their team....which they would be unable to do if it were on a Sunday because of early Monday morning work commitments....quite naturally so. But WE are supposed to have that advantage for OUR SUPPORTERS ! ( Remember - "We play for the jersey, the city....AND THE FANS !")
And...why was this decision not forthcoming until just before tonight's match? Probably the management wanted to face as little flack as possible! I don't believe for one minute it's as simple as ...... Adams prefers to play the home leg first...whatever some people say. And since it has been pretty obvious for some time that we were going to finish 4th.....and increasingly likely that our opponents were going to be Sheffield.....my guess is that this pathetic decision has been known by devils' management for some time.
Whatever we sometimes believe re. the Steelers ruling the roost.....the rules for the play off quarter finals' venues...cannot say that the arena teams have first choice! Our decision to forego home 2nd leg advantage is a sign of weakness...almost surrender .....to the Steelers' ...by our management......and a kick in the teeth for loyal Devils' supporters.
Spot on dude, I very much agree. I personally cant see any advantages of playing home first. Given the choice I think most would play away first. Devils fans going to Sheffield will now have to travel back late on Sunday night/Monday morning, when we have finished above them? Bit strange to say the least.

schulersagoodun said:
So the Devils management capitulates again !! I'm beginning to think it's only the Devils' fans who are prepared to stick up for their club's rights....against the Steelers.
So we give the Steelers first advantage... by allowing them to play the 2nd leg of the play-off quarter final at their home rink. If you go on to the Steelers' forum there are posters hoping that the away leg is on the Saturday so that they can travel to support their team....which they would be unable to do if it were on a Sunday because of early Monday morning work commitments....quite naturally so. But WE are supposed to have that advantage for OUR SUPPORTERS ! ( Remember - "We play for the jersey, the city....AND THE FANS !")
And...why was this decision not forthcoming until just before tonight's match? Probably the management wanted to face as little flack as possible! I don't believe for one minute it's as simple as ...... Adams prefers to play the home leg first...whatever some people say. And since it has been pretty obvious for some time that we were going to finish 4th.....and increasingly likely that our opponents were going to be Sheffield.....my guess is that this pathetic decision has been known by devils' management for some time.
Whatever we sometimes believe re. the Steelers ruling the roost.....the rules for the play off quarter finals' venues...cannot say that the arena teams have first choice! Our decision to forego home 2nd leg advantage is a sign of weakness...almost surrender .....to the Steelers' ...by our management......and a kick in the teeth for loyal Devils' supporters.
I agree with you on this big time, we should have had the second leg at home tried to keep it tight at their rink and got them back here and finished the job, come on it's not as if we are playing Edinburgh or Belfast it's only a three hour bus ride away max, and in my opinion we have handed the advantage to the Squeelers who finished below us in the League standings, i hope i'm wrong but i can't see us making it going by away form this season.

kettdevil1

Has anyone thought to ask if the decision was made by G ?

Just maybe he wants to play Saturday because he believes that this will give us the best chance of progressing?

He knows he is under pressure and a wrong decision might well mean no employment next year, so I just can't see him doing something simply because the Steelers say that they want the home leg second....

kettdevil1 said:
Has anyone thought to ask if the decision was made by G ?

Just maybe he wants to play Saturday because he believes that this will give us the best chance of progressing?

He knows he is under pressure and a wrong decision might well mean no employment next year, so I just can't see him doing something simply because the Steelers say that they want the home leg second....
The answer to your question is i don't know! but some teams in this League seem to have more clout than others including us.

DevilDom

schulersagoodun said:
Wow thats a pretty scathing attack, but your making some big assumptions IMO. Did the Devils management really capitulate or was it their choice? As has been said earlier in the thread G prefers to play the home leg first and we asked for a Saturday.

If we go through then G will have been proved right, so lets just hope we do. I'll be going to both matches whatever days there on anyway.

Chris said:
It's already been mentioned though that Adams likes to play the 1st leg at home...

Despite what we might want, it's going to come down to his call I suspect, it's even been mentioned, perhaps on THF that we've asked for the Saturday...

Chris.
I think you will find Chris that this is not what G wanted, shame the club didn't feel the same.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #51
So i've just been told :S

Interesting twist I guess, do the club think we'll get a bigger attendance on Saturday or something?

Chris.

DevilDom

phil PLT said:
Chris said:
It's already been mentioned though that Adams likes to play the 1st leg at home...

Despite what we might want, it's going to come down to his call I suspect, it's even been mentioned, perhaps on THF that we've asked for the Saturday...

Chris.
I think you will find Chris that this is not what G wanted, shame the club didn't feel the same.
So your saying the club overuled G and said we had to play home first? Is this just heresay or did you hear this from a reliable source? If true it really beggars belief and i'm gobsmacked. I hope the decision has not been based on money.

DevilDom said:
phil PLT said:
Chris said:

Chris.
So your saying the club overuled G and said we had to play home first? Is this just heresay or did you hear this from a reliable source? If true it really beggars belief and i'm gobsmacked. I hope the decision has not been based on money.
No, I'm saying G didn't have a say, and yes it was from a reliable source

phil PLT said:
DevilDom said:
phil PLT said:
No, I'm saying G didn't have a say, and yes it was from a reliable source
I am totally amazed by this. What sort of club doesn't give their coach so much as a say in the organisation of a playoff game?

Kipper

The conspiracy theories can be put to bed.

Shannon told a few of us before the game tonight that this was decided at an Elite League Board meeting a month ago. Devils took a calculated risk at that time that they would probably be playing Edinburgh and preferred to play them home first on the Saturday making Edinburgh travel down and back before the second leg with the Devils only having to do the journey north on the Sunday.Home and away preferences were decided a month ago as the arena teams had to book their dates in advance.

Kipper said:
The conspiracy theories can be put to bed.

Shannon told a few of us before the game tonight that this was decided at an Elite League Board meeting a month ago. Devils took a calculated risk at that time that they would probably be playing Edinburgh and preferred to play them home first on the Saturday making Edinburgh travel down and back before the second leg with the Devils only having to do the journey north on the Sunday.Home and away preferences were decided a month ago as the arena teams had to book their dates in advance.
So that in effect makes a mockery of the ruling that the club who finishes in the highest position has the choice of where they play first. And worst still that Shannon said this on the webcast just this Friday gone.
"It is not yet decided whether Cardiff play Sheffield or Edinburgh, so we will have to wait and see. It looks as though it could be Sheffield now, but we can't make decisions yet. The two legs will be over the weekend of Saturday, March 27 and Sunday, March 28. By finishing fourth we have the option when to play our home game".

Really dissapointed that the club have decided to play the home leg first seems like a bit of an uphill task before the puck has been dropped. I think we will have to take at least a three goal lead up to Sheffield.