Clan v Devils - 11/02 - 7:30pm - League - Chat/Updates

Didn't want to start new tread for this, but seeing as this thread has mostly turned into a review of the season /expectations for the rest of it...

Good News
Steelers drop a point

Bad News
We're down to 3rd after Belfast win and if we finish there, it's looking like it could be Coventry in the playoff quarters with Braehead on looking to get 5th.

Still a long way to go. 2 wins next weekend and last night game will be a distant memory... well maybe not for the ones who paid all that money to go... but the rest of us :D

Gospel

The league is ours to win. 2 games in hand over Steelers with our double header against them. Win those then were 2 points ahead of them.

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p

TheStub

I can't remember a league title being this close. Most seasons, that winning streak would have had us home and dry. You are potentially looking at a single digit regulation losses stat coming second overall.

TheStub said:
I can't remember a league title being this close. Most seasons, that winning streak would have had us home and dry. You are potentially looking at a single digit regulation losses stat coming second overall.
Last season's was very close.. Three teams still in it until the last couple of weeks of the season.. Blaze finished a point in front of the Giants with the Panthers i think a few behind again..

Finny

Nott Simpson said:
Finny I take great offence on you questioning the intelligence of Devils fans unless of course you are talking about yourself.

The texters I had in Glasgow last night were longterm Devils fans whose knowledge of hockey is unquestionable.
Where have I criticised any of the opinions of the people who went to the game? If you read the whole of my post it would be quite obvious to anyone ... which posters I was on about.

Poor choice of words, edited

Finny

osh said:
My son and some of his mates ( up for the rugby) went to the game last night ! He says that apparently OXO are bringing out a new stock cube with a Devils logo on the side, it will be known as 'Laughing Stock' (his words not mine !)
Is there really any need for that osh? It's not even an original joke.

Diafol said:
At least Sheffield only got 1 point tonight, that's a small crumb of comfort I suppose
No comfort for me bearing in mind that they got 3 points using their back-up NM.
I was expecting 2 losses with woodhouse in nets.

Martynwo said:
Diafol said:
At least Sheffield only got 1 point tonight, that's a small crumb of comfort I suppose
No comfort for me bearing in mind that they got 3 points using their back-up NM.
I was expecting 2 losses with woodhouse in nets.
Sadly Hull only had three d men, missing two imports including Bannister. So on balance Sheffield had the advantage despite Woolhouse in goal. (Wish I'd known that before putting money on Hull :lol: )

No doubt Panthers shuold have put them away last night, but that probably says as much about where they are at in Nottingham.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #94
Yup.

Apparently you're one of the few that seem determined to take threads off topic. Therefore i've deleted the last 2 or 3 replies on here that added nothing to the discussion and instead were digs at Finny, Osh and Clare.

If you want to have a discussion with Clare about what she's posted, take it to pm. I'm getting fed up of all the digs at others on here, so from now on if I see them i'll just be deleting the posts and not sending pm's to anyone explaining why.

The thread was/is running fine with people talking about the game or the impact of the game on our chances for the league, the posts that were deleted weren't needed.

Chris.

E.D.S.

"Deteremined to take threads off topics" point made and understood. If the post remained on topic in the first place there wouldn't be this issue. But for consistency you'll need to go a bit further back than just the last one or two pages to where the post got derailed and lets keep this in perspective I'm not a repeat offender I saw someone persistently targetting someone else with pointless digs and decided to post about it. Nothing more, so lets not go overboard here. My posts are informed and fair (usually) but take your point about my last one. Apologies.

ASHIPP

Soundwave1 said:
I think our best hope is to go back to defence first and making simple plays, squeeze out results and get our confidence back.
Head.Nail.Hit. :) The Devils' best performances have usually been produced from very composed, disciplined simple play.....winning 5/6 games in 9 days back in October is a great example of that.

Whilst Steelers picked up only 1 point last night, it's still 1 point...and the Devils picked up NO points from Braehead. :oops:
They cannot rely just on the results of other games to determine their place in the league. Steelers are still in the driving seat. The Devils are going to hard to battle very hard even for 2nd place. Giants are not going to give up. This is the closest the Devils have been to a top league position in years. Don't let it slide away Guys or your great winning streak will count for nothing. :evil: Whatever is wrong, hopefully it can be fixed quickly.

As for the game against the Capitals tonight, I would expect Stevie playing a full 60 minutes in goal, and the rest of the team playing like it's the Stanley Cup final. This is no criticism of Joe at all but it keeps Lyle in the momentum for next Wed/ weekend. Can't afford what happened after last time he was rested ......the Devils lost the next (crucial) game against Blaze.

Koop11

League champions don’t play like we have of late and certainly don’t lose 7-1. The title is not over and it’s still in our hands but what is concerning is that we don’t look like winning games at the moment and haven’t since that close OT win against Coventry at home on the 15 January. Since then, we have picked up points but our reliable defence has crumbled, our goal tender if far too inconsistent and our approach to games has been all wrong which you could argue is a coaching issue. We look lost and now the luck is running out so we can’t rely on that anymore.

I tell you what league champions do – they have reliable defence. They have 12 shoutouts and counting. They take points in games they have their backup in. That is the difference - defence!

For me, we have not coped with the pressure of being top of the league. Despite have a wealth of winners and experience in the team, the mental pressure of being top of the league has ripped us apart. Since being up there we have not played our best hockey, the hockey that seen us win 22 games on the trot.

We need to build at the back. We have enough talent up front to score goals, although we have struggled of late, so we need to think defence first (Mr Weller in particular!). Lyle is not confident so we have to be strong in front of our net and on our blue line. Defence, Defence, Defence!

Unfortunately, we’ve put ourselves in a position that has left us with little confidence. I truly believe that if we want to win the league, we now have to win every game of the season. We only have ourselves to blame for being in this position.

The fact is we’ve been punching above our weight this year. Belfast’s injury crisis has opened the door for us and Sheffield but when you put yourselves in a position to win the title, you have to be mentally strong play the basic game of protecting your our goal before thinking of the oppositions. I fear this could be the season we refer to the ‘rise and fall of the Cardiff Devils 2010-2011’.

Koop11 said:
and certainly don’t lose 7-1. The title is not over and it’s still in our hands but what is concerning is that we don’t look like winning games at the moment and haven’t since that close OT win against Coventry at home on the 15 January. Since then, we have picked up points but our reliable defence has crumbled, our goal tender if far too inconsistent and our approach to games has been all wrong which you could argue is a coaching issue. We look lost and now the luck is running out so we can’t rely on that anymore.

I tell you what league champions do – they have reliable defence. They have 12 shoutouts and counting. They take points in games they have their backup in. That is the difference - defence!

For me, we have not coped with the pressure of being top of the league. Despite have a wealth of winners and experience in the team, the mental pressure of being top of the league has ripped us apart. Since being up there we have not played our best hockey, the hockey that seen us win 22 games on the trot.

We need to build at the back. We have enough talent up front to score goals, although we have struggled of late, so we need to think defence first (Mr Weller in particular!). Lyle is not confident so we have to be strong in front of our net and on our blue line. Defence, Defence, Defence!

Unfortunately, we’ve put ourselves in a position that has left us with little confidence. I truly believe that if we want to win the league, we now have to win every game of the season. We only have ourselves to blame for being in this position.

The fact is we’ve been punching above our weight this year. Belfast’s injury crisis has opened the door for us and Sheffield but when you put yourselves in a position to win the title, you have to be mentally strong play the basic game of protecting your our goal before thinking of the oppositions. I fear this could be the season we refer to the ‘rise and fall of the Cardiff Devils 2010-2011’.
From the top of your post Koop i take it you are talking about Sheffield.....didnt we beat them 7-1 :D

In all seriousness i do think the stress has gotten to the players,too much in such a short time,everyone talking about our unbeaten run/people asking ''Can anyone stop the Devils'' etc.....Lets hope that we have passed the wobble and can now settle down and start playing like the guys know they can.

I am not too bothered about the CCup now i would rather we just concentrate on the league especially with the MASSIVE weekend we have coming up.

TheStub

Steelers have a very similar run to the end of the season. We have Nottingham and Coventry twice, they have Belfast and Nottingham.

But both of us have beaten all these opponents this season. If we play our game, we can take this - but the Steelers are hot too. This weekend is huge, and we then need a strong run to the end.

Looking at the congestion, I almost hope we drop out of the cup. It is a hectic schedule with us traveling to Scotland and Newcastle almost every weekend. Makes me hope we give some of the ENL lads a run out - our short bench will really tell.