Finnerty a Devil?

rolf

woohoo woot woot, chrimboh has come early. Thanks Matt and G. i'm sure all his detractors will grow to love him. it's always different when they play for you especially if it is just like they did against you. perhaps the initial mixed reaction is the best compliment we could pay the bloke as i am sure it is borne out of jealousy, based on previous experience..............now watch his previous gamers slide away into the night, perhaps Bloomindale should post summat on the for sale part of this forum hahaha

also big up to holl5 for breaking this one for us.

A la WalesOnline:
CARDIFF Devils are to sign former Sheffield Steelers forward Ryan Finnerty, writes Terry Phillips.

His current club, International Ice Hockey team Bloomington Prairie Dogs, revealed: “Centre Ryan Finnerty has signed for Cardiff Devils.”

Both Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers have been in talks with Finnerty, but he has decided to join Devils.

Finnerty will take over from player-coach Gerad Adams on the ice. Adams will work alongside Neil Francis on the bench.

Finnerty had four goals and 10 assists for 14 points 15 games for Bloomington.

He missed four games with a fractured orbital bone before returning to the ice in the team’s last game at Flint.

“I had other offers that I turned down, but I just couldn’t walk away from this one from Cardiff Devils,” said Finnerty.

“The fact that I’ve played in that league the last few years was a factor. Cardiff know what type of player they are getting.”

I guess this confirms that G will be back on the bench after Jarvis is back fit. Bit of a shame really as Adams has had one of his best seasons so far with us IMO.

nmase20 said:
Finnerty is a quality signing no matter how much we hated him last year, but i still don't know what to make of it. Its increased wages for Burge for a player im not 100% we really need, he doesn't add that much to our points production. Im also a little annoyed about how poor our injury details (return dates) seem to be. It was only last week they were saying wes would be back on the 12th, now were bringing in a replacement. Im still a bit on the fence about this one but im sure finnerty will change my mind :p
Don't see how it can't be a good signing. Sheffield, Belfast, Nottingham have all been linked with him, and we've got him. He may not put that many points on the board but there's no doubt he'll improve our squad, he was one of the main reasons Sheffield did the double last year. If we couldn't afford him, we wouldn't have him either. As long as Matt's fine with paying their wages, it shouldn't bother any of us. It also means we have a spare player incase of injury, and I assume if everyones fit, it will be G on the bench. So we're swopping a first line player for a 3rd line player :D Plus have you seen how annoyed Sheffield fans are? Their fan favourite has signed for the enemy - awesome! :D

Don't get me wrong I didn't like him last year, but he didn't play for us. I dislike most players that are good and playing against us :lol:

About the injuries, how many professional sports teams give accurate return dates? They're hardly going to say yeh he's going to be out for a while. They'd rather fans not know, and they may not know themselves. I was injured earlier this year playing (field) hockey and I thought I'd be fine in 2 days and it was about 3 weeks before I was fit again. Ovechkin earlier this year was 'day to day' he ended up missing 6+ games and thats an NHL team. Liverpool fans haven't got a clue how long Torres is out for. Point is, its not just the Devils that do it.

Rempel16

All i can say to this is:

YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely hated him for the Steelers, which means I will love him for the Devils.

As said previously, it is his winning attitude that will be so key for us, particularly away from home.

Point a game player too.

The team have been playing decently enough, but G has just proven what a good coach he is. Belfast strengthened, Coventry tried to strengthen and G has realised that perhaps we need a bit more if we are going to challenge them!

Will sthis signing turn us into league contenders? I think his ability to be the heartbeat away from home will be the key to answering this.

And 2yrs as well!!!!!!!!!

Very pleased!

Merthyr Devil said:
nmase20 said:
Finnerty is a quality signing no matter how much we hated him last year, but i still don't know what to make of it. Its increased wages for Burge for a player im not 100% we really need, he doesn't add that much to our points production. Im also a little annoyed about how poor our injury details (return dates) seem to be. It was only last week they were saying wes would be back on the 12th, now were bringing in a replacement. Im still a bit on the fence about this one but im sure finnerty will change my mind :p
Don't see how it can't be a good signing. Sheffield, Belfast, Nottingham have all been linked with him, and we've got him. He may not put that many points on the board but there's no doubt he'll improve our squad, he was one of the main reasons Sheffield did the double last year. If we couldn't afford him, we wouldn't have him either. As long as Matt's fine with paying their wages, it shouldn't bother any of us. It also means we have a spare player incase of injury, and I assume if everyones fit, it will be G on the bench. So we're swopping a first line player for a 3rd line player :D Plus have you seen how annoyed Sheffield fans are? Their fan favourite has signed for the enemy - awesome! :D

Don't get me wrong I didn't like him last year, but he didn't play for us. I dislike most players that are good and playing against us :lol:
I agree with everything your saying, i guess i just am quite happy with the team as it is so didn't really want to see any changes. Especially with G going back to the bench because i thought he was doing an excellent job of leading the guys, look at the difference in the D since he dropped back. Also, the third line has been playing very very well as it is, but i suppose with finnerty on it it will be even better. This signing has just stumped me i think :lol:, its got nothing to do with not liking him playing against us though, although he wound me up last year im still happy to see him in a devils jersey.

Gazza272

Merthyr Devil said:
[ He may not put that many points on the board but there's no doubt he'll improve our squad, .

His points production is very good, he's always just shy of a point a game and did break the point a game barrier when playing in Italy in a league better than this one. So for a third liner (which i'm guessing he will start as) i say we have made a cracking signing.

It will give teams like Belfast something to think about now, Mcmorrow will certainly have an advisary to chirp with (only Finnerty will be on the ice not benched for the majority of the game :D )

I'm with most people really didnt see that one, as has been said previously we have had players come to us before we didnt like, but it's always different when they play for you. Only one thing wasnt he the one who allegedly made comments about the rink? I guess a player can change as well as fans.

Anyway welcome Ryan.

Rempel16

cardiffdevil said:
I'm with most people really didnt see that one, as has been said previously we have had players come to us before we didnt like, but it's always different when they play for you. Only one thing wasnt he the one who allegedly made comments about the rink? I guess a player can change as well as fans.

Anyway welcome Ryan.
Nope,

Voth said at the time that Finnerty had actually not made any of the comments about the rink, Jay etc.

I think there is going to be a certain amount of query as to whether he can get on with Jay. It's worth remembering that in 90% of cases, all of the pantomime stays on the ice.

Just look at Allison and Nieckar together for Nottingham.

I think as a point, Finnerty might just line up next to Jay for the introductions and give him a glove tap as a public showing of no animosity.

Jones72

Anyone else wondering how the lines will look?

Also, what will this mean for Ben who has, IMHO, more than earned a regular shift this season.

Wherever Finnerty is placed, it'll mean someone loses out.

Don't get me wrong...this isn't a gripe! In fact it's a great situation to be in with quality offensive capability on all 3 lines! Just wondered...

As already mentioned - he was one of the most annoying players to play against us - which always does mean we will love him for us - just think of the Mike Ware's of the World etc...

Not sure how the lines will change now, but we probably have the best strength in depth squad in the league now.

As much as our 1st line has been on fire at home, their away record is shocking lately - I don't think they have had a point between them for the past 6 away games or something like that (that is one for Finny to check for me!). So maybe the way forward to to play the lines differently for away games?

One thing for sure though - Finnerty is one of the best face-off guys in the league. Having someone like that can make a huge difference in winning games, especially when the league is the tightest it has ever been.

Is he due to make his debut this weekend against Coventry then???

Gazza272

Dwoods said:
As already mentioned - he was one of the most annoying players to play against us - which always does mean we will love him for us - just think of the Mike Ware's of the World etc...

Not sure how the lines will change now, but we probably have the best strength in depth squad in the league now.

As much as our 1st line has been on fire at home, their away record is shocking lately - I don't think they have had a point between them for the past 6 away games or something like that (that is one for Finny to check for me!). So maybe the way forward to to play the lines differently for away games?

One thing for sure though - Finnerty is one of the best face-off guys in the league. Having someone like that can make a huge difference in winning games, especially when the league is the tightest it has ever been.

Is he due to make his debut this weekend against Coventry then???
<Main website states he should make his debut against belfast in the challenge cup.

Rempel16

RichardR said:
G is stepping back onto the bench, so will have no effect on ben.
If G steps on to the bench Ben would revert back to 10th forward.

Birbraer Smith Voth
Hill Latulippe Miller
Towe Finnerty Michel

RichardR said:
G is stepping back onto the bench, so will have no effect on ben.
Yeh but G's playing D at the moment covering Jarvis thats why its having no effect on Ben.

With G on the bench when Jarvis is back it leaves the 1st line - Birbraer, Smith, and Voth. The 2nd line - Hill, Latulippe and Miller, and the 3rd line - Finnerty, Towe and Michel. Thats assuming the lines stay the same of course, leaving Ben and Jamie rotating. We should roll 4 lines - have Fisher from the ENL on the 4th line with them. :lol:

Koop11

Slightly off topic, but can anyone confirm when Ben and Hayes will be playing for GB? Are they away this weekend?

Russky

So its official now. Well he has a few things to do before he wins me over:

Legally Smash Dangerknee into the boards at the first opportunity
Sort out McMorrow! Jeremy Clarkson has already started this! :lol:
shut up Andrew Sharp once and for all
Make the peace with Jay Latulippe!

Only then will I be convinvced he is a true 100% Devil!

Merthyr Devil said:
We should roll 4 lines - have Fisher from the ENL on the 4th line with them. :lol:
Generally teams/players do not like to roll 4 lines - it takes too long in between shifts and players would much rather only have 3 line hockey. What this does bring for us though is the depth that we have never had should we pick up any injuries, big penalties or even suspensions.

I do agree though that the youngsters do deserve to be getting some ice time - especially Ben as he seems to be able to open up opposition defences at will. I am sure that they will all have a part to play throughout the season.

wildthing74

Rolling with 3 and a bit lines is always the best option.No way would a young Brit line cope at this level especially if we are planning on going to win some trophies.Way better to mix them up and rotate with Towey etc and again good to have that depth so can easily slot into a line when we have guys out of the lineup.

Russky

Koop11 said:
Slightly off topic, but can anyone confirm when Ben and Hayes will be playing for GB? Are they away this weekend?
I think that its either this weekend or weekend before Christmas!