Next years team.

jimmy snels

Definitely want to keep bowns richie batch martin hotham (provided he's going to bring back the physical side that helped his D, doucet fournier hendrikx and hervarto.
Culligan im split on fills in well on D, doesn't score enough when a forward though. Does offer flexibility.
Haddad morrisette salters kurka hudson we should be looking to change imo for : a proper stay at home no nonsense D man. Fournier and hotham offer enough going forward from D for my liking.
2x big body forwards who actually get stuck in. 1 must be putting up points. Big ask i know. The other to be a tough guy.
An absolute sniper to compliment martin.
A play maker forward to compliment doucet.
The extra forward we are allowed for me should be another big point scorer. With the above changes i feel we would have people who play actual roles. At times i feel we've had everyone trying to be joey martin and no one actually playing what we thought was their roles.

jimmy snels

Forgot to mention i didn't think Russell set the world alight but saw enough to bring him back, all be it not the expense of the above.

backrow

jimmy snels, we know Culligan started late because of last season's injury but he was never given an opportunity to really show what he could do in terms of consistent line mates and power play time. Along with those factors he might have played almost a third of his games on D so I would expect his scoring to be down. I don't think he was given enough credit for his play on defense because he and Josh Batch were only on for 1 goal against in the last 8 games they played together and anyone who really watches the game knows how well he sees the ice and passes the puck.

I think several other teams would be interested in giving him a chance to play a prominent consistent role!

A lot of the problems with player performances this season can be put down to weak coaching. As I have said before, Lordo bleeds devil red, however he's not ready to bench coach (too young with more playing in him and also too inexperienced right now).

The smart thing to do is to make Lordo Captain and play down the lines and tap Chuck Weber up.

This is a coach who knows his stuff, coached in the KHL and AHL and takes no nonsense. He would tell Hotham too cool it with the rushing and concentrate on D. The only situation I would keep him under. Along with that, Weber is not going to be given any money to improve a Coventry side who have clearly benefitted since his aquisition there. He would do wonders at Cardiff and Lordo as Captain could be his protégé. Makes good sense to me.

jenks33

Bit surprised how many fans don't want Morissette back. I don't think he was as effective as the previous season but he still scored 57 points and his defensive game/blocking shots is second to none. Plus he seems like a really good character to have around the dressing room.

The players I want back are Bowns, Batch, Richie, Fournier, Martin, Lord and Morissette. Wont be too disappointed if Culligan and Russell come back too but I think they're replaceable

The players I've been most disappointed with this season have been Hotham, Salters and Haddad. Like others have said Hotham's points production is outstanding but he is far too sloppy on the puck in his own zone. Its harsh criticism when you look at his production but I think a lot of fans have they same opinion.
Salters has been a massive let down from the start for me. My expectations might have been unrealistic but I thought he was going to be outstanding. A few people have highlighted his injury problems but I don't think he's looked particularly bothered from day one. I know he's laid back in nature but I honestly don't think he can look back at the season and feel he gave 100%.
The Haddad one might be unfair because you cant question his effort. For me though his discipline has been abysmal this season. The amount of silly penalties he's given away at crucial times has been unbelievably frustrating. He was my favourite player in his first season but he just hasn't done it for me this year.

mweller said:
Ivydrive said:
The most boring season of hockey i've ever watched.
I'm glad you enjoyed it but I honestly found the style of hockey we played very boring.
Very low physicality, taking all the pace out of the game. Just frustrating to watch even when we were winning games.

And I know I'm far from alone. I know a lot of other season ticket holders who found it dull to watch & have other non season ticket holder friends who barely came to a game later in the season because of the style of hockey being played.

It's an entertainment business at the end of the day. Give me Nottinghams style of play any day over the rubbish one dimensional style we played all year.

jenks33

Ivydrive said:
mweller said:
Ivydrive said:
I'm glad you enjoyed it but I honestly found the style of hockey we played very boring.
Very low physicality, taking all the pace out of the game. Just frustrating to watch even when we were winning games.

And I know I'm far from alone. I know a lot of other season ticket holders who found it dull to watch & have other non season ticket holder friends who barely came to a game later in the season because of the style of hockey being played.

It's an entertainment business at the end of the day. Give me Nottinghams style of play any day over the rubbish one dimensional style we played all year.
Agree with this to be honest. I couldn't wait for our home games in the 14/15 season but I didn't feel there was much tempo to our game last season. Even during the 13 home game winning streak I didn't think most of those games were particularly enjoyable. The 5-1 and 6-2 victories against Sheffield were great but I felt we were on auto pilot for some of the other wins. We were always going to win the majority of our games in the BBT

Finny

Devil May Care said:
A lot of the problems with player performances this season can be put down to weak coaching. As I have said before, Lordo bleeds devil red, however he's not ready to bench coach (too young with more playing in him and also too inexperienced right now).

The smart thing to do is to make Lordo Captain and play down the lines and tap Chuck Weber up.

This is a coach who knows his stuff, coached in the KHL and AHL and takes no nonsense. He would tell Hotham too cool it with the rushing and concentrate on D. The only situation I would keep him under. Along with that, Weber is not going to be given any money to improve a Coventry side who have clearly benefitted since his aquisition there. He would do wonders at Cardiff and Lordo as Captain could be his protégé. Makes good sense to me.
Weber?
You do realise he won nothing this year? And barely finished 8th. And our rubbish, inexperienced player-coach beat him 9 times out of the 13 games? Having finished 2nd in the league.

Do we really think Coventry only had the 8th biggest budget in the league?

Finny

Ivydrive said:
mweller said:
Ivydrive said:

Whilst it wasn't as exciting as 14/15, if you genuinely think that was the most boring season ever then you can't have been a fan for long. Presumably you didn't see the second half of the 13/14 season.

Finny said:
Devil May Care said:

Weber?
You do realise he won nothing this year? And barely finished 8th. And our rubbish, inexperienced player-coach beat him 9 times out of the 13 games? Having finished 2nd in the league.

Do we really think Coventry only had the 8th biggest budget in the league?
Spot on Finny. Weber would be a backward step. Keep Lord.

JT666

Salters is a funny one. There was a spell in the new year when he was on a line with Martin and Doucet and I thought he was brilliant. I can vividly remember the FIfe game where that line scored three times in the first period. At that point in the season I thought he was over his injuries and a sure fire returnee. A big presence, scoring plenty of points and complimenting our best player. Then, for reasons I cant fathom, they switched him from that line and it all went a bit sour.

Otherwise I agree with a lot of the sentiments on this topic, we lacked a bit of joie de vivre this year, and with Hendrikx missing for much of the stretch, a big hitting character to lift the players. That would be my first priority in terms of a new signing, after retaining Bowns and Martin, our two best players this year.

Also, forgive my naivety as a first season ticket holder, but why was Gerad Adams, a league winning coach, sacked by Sheffield last season, and is he an option as a full time bench coach for the forthcoming season, with Lord as captain? Reading through the posts he appears to have over performed during the doldrum years and has league winning experience, as well as a Cardiff connection. I'm supposing people would see him as a step back to a bygone era?

Electro

Lord has all the makings of a great coach, the timing is all wrong though. It's been obvious for a long time that he'd struggle playing and coaching.

If championship results are too come, it's gonna take a few yrs if Lord gets benched. I'd like to see Lord continue playing, bring in a mentor/coach and have Lord split roles. Then see how it pans out.

DevilDom

Electro said:
If championship results are too come, it's gonna take a few yrs if Lord gets benched. I'd like to see Lord continue playing, bring in a mentor/coach and have Lord split roles. Then see how it pans out.
That is actually a reasonable suggestion. :shock:

I'd like to see us do something similar along the lines of what the Panthers did with Neilson and Strachan. Seems to have worked pretty well for them over the last few years.

KaneDevils

Whilst it wasn't as exciting as 14/15, if you genuinely think that was the most boring season ever then you can't have been a fan for long. Presumably you didn't see the second half of the 13/14 season.
A) Do you have to be so arrogant?
B) Is it not about opinion?

I wouldn't necessarily call it the most boring, but did feel bored during quite a few games I must be honest. People were saying they felt they were not being entertained months and months ago.

Finny

KaneDevils said:
A) Do you have to be so arrogant?
B) Is it not about opinion?

I wouldn't necessarily call it the most boring, but did feel bored during quite a few games I must be honest. People were saying they felt they were not being entertained months and months ago.
Do you have to disagree with me for the sake of it, when you seem to be agreeing with me? :lol:
Some games were boring. Some games were very bad. But it wasn't the most boring season ever. It's not even the most boring season in the last three years.

ASHIPP

The respect afforded to Gerad Adams is completely deserved...a coach whose talents were finally proved when he went to a club that was stable, could give him the support and backing to drive a team with none of the baggage and infighting he'd had to tolerate under the consecutive old regimes at Devils.....it's completely baffling why the Steelers released him after bringing success to that Club.

But he and his family have a settled sane life away from hockey and live in the North.

Lordo has that same passion and commitment as G. And will make mistakes just like G did
learning his role. Fortunately Lordo is in a nuturing supportive stable environment where he will get some additional support if he needs it.

Whatever role he decides for next season,( coach or player/coach) he is most definitely the man for the job. And its refreshing to remember that, for seasons 1 and 2 he's already steered the team to achievements we could only have dreamt of for all those years.