Seth Bennett & Brent Pope

KaneDevils

canada vs Austria freeview 301 6:25
Finland vs Norway freeview 302 7:30

According to tv listings anyhow.

Both accessed through the bbd red button.

steve

so far the only way of making sure you see the games is to watch online (or though the BBC Sport App if you have a smart tv). If you are relying on normal TV, either Sky or Freeview, you're lucky if the games are shown at all, and even they join the game and leave the game at will!

Shit coverage so far when you compare with the London games where every sport had its own separate channel in both SD and HD.

Paul Sullivan

I agree it does seem incredibly poor, though I never expected the glory that was London 2012's coverage.

I would suggest the domestic coverage was not giving us the options of covering all sports, but the ability to consistently cover the (albeit quite entertaining) Curling teams does imply that the BBC can pick and choose their coverage.

I have always been a fan of Brent's commentary but having listened to him in Vancouver with Bob Ballard (and previously with Barry Davies) it seems he is trying too hard and this partnership with the excellent Seth Bennet doesn't seem to work. At times I can't tell colour from play by play, and there have been a few lead-in lines from Seth met by a lengthy silence.

Who was the guy covering the Slovakian game yesterday, with the female colour?

Paul Sullivan

Aah right. Good to hear a female co-commentator for a change I thought, though the PbP guy wasn't of a standard I would expect of CBC. Good, but not CBC good, so to speak :)

Mooney#16

I'm afraid this illustrates what I have been banging on about for years. The EIHL and it's different protagonists can have their little league and all the soap opera that goes on with it and the EIHA with there blinkered money for nothing approach but everyone of they and I mean everyone is a noose around the neck of hockey in this country. If you want real exposure and the growth that will go along with it both in terms of finance and awareness the biggest tool available is the GB national team. The growth and sustainability of the sport rests on the shoulders of that national program and the funding they receive with this being the case in criminal. The structure of the professional game is built to maximise revenue into ownership to be reinvested into an arms race of import players. It does not lend itself to reinvestment into developing world class talent through a world class structure from floor to ceiling. You want hockey to be a success in this country. The GB senior team needs to get to a Winter Olympics. Until everyone in a position of governance gets on board with that message it will remain this same diabolical status quo.

KaneDevils

If you want real exposure and the growth that will go along with it both in terms of finance and awareness the biggest tool available is the GB national team.
Without a doubt. We have a mentality here in Britain where most people only follow or show any interest in a sport, if our National side is good at it or becomes as such. I remember when England won the rugby World cup. So many England shirts as far as the eye could see. Now were rubbish at it, no-one ever mentions the game.
You tune into the Olympics and it seems the only sport being played is curling, why? Apparently we have a good chance of winning gold!

Exposure would help no end. OK, were never going to be challenging the Canadians or the Russians, but why doesn't the GB team get more exposure? Nothing to lose and potentially much to gain.

Sheincar

KaneDevils said:
If you want real exposure and the growth that will go along with it both in terms of finance and awareness the biggest tool available is the GB national team.
Without a doubt. We have a mentality here in Britain where most people only follow or show any interest in a sport, if our National side is good at it or becomes as such. I remember when England won the rugby World cup. So many England shirts as far as the eye could see. Now were rubbish at it, no-one ever mentions the game.
You tune into the Olympics and it seems the only sport being played is curling, why? Apparently we have a good chance of winning gold!

Exposure would help no end. OK, were never going to be challenging the Canadians or the Russians, but why doesn't the GB team get more exposure? Nothing to lose and potentially much to gain.
Premier Sports will at least be giving some coverage to the upcoming GB world championship games in April. I know its not terrestrial but at least it's a start.

youngbob

This thread's taken an interesting turn here, but I think it should really become a thread of it's own, with no need to reference Brent Pope, or even the Devils

KaneDevils said:

Got to disagree with you Kanedevils Football is really popular despite the English National side not winning anything since 1966 and being bordering between crap and mediocre ever since :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

KaneDevils

jodysstillagirlsname said:
KaneDevils said:

Got to disagree with you Kanedevils Football is really popular despite the English National side not winning anything since 1966 and being bordering between crap and mediocre ever since :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, that's very true Jody, but the Prem is widely regarded as the biggest and best league in the world. Debatable of course, but it's certainly in the top three. Patriotic hat on, (not worn all that often) we have been desperately unlucky with penalty shoot outs. A bit more fortune and who knows? ;)

Mooney#16

But it isn't about success at the top flight it is about exposure. Just imagine the airplay GB would be getting if they had qualified instead of Latvia. It's about turning people on to the sport. The EIHL is not a strong enough brand to do it. The GB team playing on prime time BBC Winter Olympics coverage. Massive exposure to a potential new fan base of a couple of million people. Increased government funding. Increased sponsor revenues. It all would spiral upwards. But it needs by in from the sport initially that the priority is the national team.

KaneDevils

But it isn't about success at the top flight it is about exposure. Just imagine the airplay GB would be getting if they had qualified instead of Latvia.
That's a slight contradiction though Mooney. Qualification would be deemed a success and more people would then show interest. We haven't qualified so nobody wants to know. It should be exposure = success, but unfortunately it's the other way round. I see the curlings on again, why? Because GB are good at it and should win a medal. not that it's a brilliant pulsating sport that grips the nation.

Sheincar

I actually love the curling. However much we may like ice hockey & want it on TV it does rather annoy me that we're talking about Team GB being shown on TV when most hockey fans have next to no interest in GB games. Eg how many will be going to the GB warm up games in April at Ice Sheffield & Coventry let alone actually going to Lithuania.

Sheincar said:
I actually love the curling. However much we may like ice hockey & want it on TV it does rather annoy me that we're talking about Team GB being shown on TV when most hockey fans have next to no interest in GB games. Eg how many will be going to the GB warm up games in April at Ice Sheffield & Coventry let alone actually going to Lithuania.
You and Mags probably will Sheila :D

Mooney#16

Not sure it's a contradiction. Sporting success on the ice and exposure of it are two different things. The GB team would get smoked at the Olympics but I would stake money on the BBC still giving them massive amounts of air time as they have any sport GB is competing in. They show the hockey on the main coverage because it makes good tv and spectacle. A GB team would gather a good % of airplay be it winning or losing especially their opening couple of fixtures. You would put the sport direct into peoples living rooms and into their awareness. The sport is capable of selling itself but it's exposing people to it. Once they see it. Interest gains momentum and the next thing 500, 1000, 2000 new fans are coming through the gates. Across the every league club not just Cardiff. Sponsor interest goes up. Media interest escalates. Government backing increases. But it's about putting that product namely the game into the populations living room. Not via a pursuit of gold but by achieving the possible and qualifying.

Sheincar

And what funding does the GB team get to reach that kind of level to make these good things happen? A lot of the money comes through the fund raising done by GBSC but not aware of great dollops of money from elsewhere.

Sheincar

jodysstillagirlsname said:
Sheincar said:
You and Mags probably will Sheila :D
Definitely doing Lithuania & would like to fit in 1 of the home games too.

Mooney#16

Sheincar said:
And what funding does the GB team get to reach that kind of level to make these good things happen? A lot of the money comes through the fund raising done by GBSC but not aware of great dollops of money from elsewhere.
Precisely why I take great issue at the EIHL and EIHA. The politics within and between the two of a few men hinder the entire sport in the nation. A progressive reinvestment of revenue from all organisations into IHUK to enable correct progression of grass roots development and finance support to the senior team. In the current guise the framework is built for failure. Hence these businessmen who have great sway and influence on the direction sport takes in the country should have a more broad appreciation of their input and instead of this constant drive on EIHL imports filter funds towards a successful national program. For me one step back. Two steps forward.