Time For A Change?

Thread starter #1
Anyone think that it may be time for a change of coach?

Whilst I admire Adams, his team's have hardly set the league on fire whilst the away record this season is awful!

I wonder what others think?

jimmy snels

i think.... your going to get alot of flack for this! :lol:

iv been saying/thinking for some time G doesnt seem to be inspiring the team. on paper we have a good unit, they are just so inconsistant! whilst some signings (jarvis, miller, tylor have been exceptional, romfo, voth, birbraer and smith just havent done what we would have hoped. is this the coaches fault? i dont really know! but the not enough men on ice, dump and chase hockey, poor PP and constant changing of lines clearly are. the PK is working very well however, maybe because this is where G's experiance is. the players could clearly out drink any other team so atleast we're the best at some thing?!?!

so in conclusion... i dont know :lol:

Thread starter #5
Flak ? Why?

Normally coaches are judged on the team's performance and the fact that this team has come someway short of challenging for top spot does ask the question, is there a need for a change?

Have the players failed to deliver? yes

I've not seen anything personally to convince me that Adams has the ability to change things now, or in the future.

Others may disagree.

Gazza272

jimmy snels said:
i think.... your going to get alot of flack for this! :lol:

iv been saying/thinking for some time G doesnt seem to be inspiring the team. on paper we have a good unit, they are just so inconsistant! whilst some signings (jarvis, miller, tylor have been exceptional, romfo, voth, birbraer and smith just havent done what we would have hoped. is this the coaches fault? i dont really know! but the not enough men on ice, dump and chase hockey, poor PP and constant changing of lines clearly are. the PK is working very well however, maybe because this is where G's experiance is. the players could clearly out drink any other team so atleast we're the best at some thing?!?!

so in conclusion... i dont know :lol:

But a lot of those things work sometimes and not others. Our Powerplay and penalty kill have overall this season imo been very good. Jarvis, Michel, Smith, Voth have all looked very dangerous on the Powerplay in the majority of home games this season. So i personally dont think it's a coaching issue, these players can and have played well this season, i cant see G going into a changing room in certain games and saying 'guys we played well for 6 games fancy having a night off?'

The Constant line changes have also won us a fair few games, not many EIHL coaches have the gumption to change something about the team to win the games, i think Dwoods has posted on here before that he to has noticed us win games due to the lines changing. And i know from interviewing players it's not a big deal to them, a fair few of them have said in programme interviews that they all play together in training and know each others tendencies.

I['m not saying G is perfect but i gotta think he is very frustrated this season with the inconsistency as much as we have, and the thing for me is he has tried to do a lot of things to change it. How many coaches have we seen in the EIHL show no faith in their players by playing themselves to turn things around? (Hand, Courtenay, Thornton, Wilson spring to mind in recent seasons) G went the total opposite way and wanted to be more of a coach.

I know people think i'm some sort of Adams apologist but i do rate the work he has done in Cardiff. This season while it is only slight IS an improvement on last season, if we can stay where we are and finish 4th it would have meant beating last seasons Challenge cup place while also finishing higher in the league than we did last year, It's frustrating really, we are only 3 good weekends away from being title challengers, I'm willing to give Adams a chance to see if he has learned enough in his time as coach to make those three weekend losses into winning ones.

I dont think the opening poster deserves to be berated i think it's an issue that fans are entittled to talk about, and i can certainly see why some people are thinking the way they do.

Skippy

Back Of The Net said:

Whilst I admire Adams, his team's have hardly set the league on fire whilst the away record this season is awful!

Have to ask are you new to the forum or just trolling under a differnet user name to the one that you normally use ?

jimmy snels

Back Of The Net said:
Flak ? Why?

Normally coaches are judged on the team's performance and the fact that this team has come someway short of challenging for top spot does ask the question, is there a need for a change?

Have the players failed to deliver? yes

I've not seen anything personally to convince me that Adams has the ability to change things now, or in the future.

Others may disagree.
i say flak because iv been attacked for a similar comment before, was joking, very much agree with u.

just a point i think G probs should play himself MORE. he's a hard grafter and if someone isnt pulling their import weight drop them for a game. i think the issue is G isnt hard enough on them. they're being paid alot of money to play and play hard. "team toughness" was mentioned alot at start of season. some of these guys who were ment to be tough are like church mice dependant on oppiosition. voth has had a very quiet year. i watch smith (our top line centre) get bullied no less then 4 times against panthers the other night. where were our "tough" guys to straighten this situation out? would ovechkin get this treatment? hell no. would mcmorrow let belfast be slammed around a rink? no... so why do we allow it in our barn?? i think a player shake up should happen personally.

Thread starter #10
skippy said:
Back Of The Net said:

Have to ask are you new to the forum or just trolling under a differnet user name to the one that you normally use ?
Not new to the forum, just not posted for a good while and had to re-register, why? is the question that controversial?

Foxy

skippy said:
Back Of The Net said:

Is there really any need for that. Its a question that im sure many fans are asking themselves.

Something clearly isnt working. There never seems to a plan B when things go wrongs. I also believe that the home small ice advantage has covered a lack of tactical awarness on Adams part. I believe the away record is a more accurate identification of this issue.

jimmy snels

thats actually a very interesting take on this... aint heard anyone say this before! do u think the small pad set up would have suited a bigger, more physical approach? i had a debate about birbraer with a couple of people and many thought he plays better on bigger ice and seen as tho we play on small ice 70% of the time maybe a bigger guy would have been more suited to the team? maybe this is why miller is playing so well at home, a more tough approach seems to pay dividens for him

Gazza272

jimmy snels said:
thats actually a very interesting take on this... aint heard anyone say this before! do u think the small pad set up would have suited a bigger, more physical approach? i had a debate about birbraer with a couple of people and many thought he plays better on bigger ice and seen as tho we play on small ice 70% of the time maybe a bigger guy would have been more suited to the team? maybe this is why miller is playing so well at home, a more tough approach seems to pay dividens for him

But we had a bigger team last season, and didnt do as well up to now.

We went with a bigger more physical approach last year and got ourselves no where, our home performance this year is a hell of a lot better so don't really see this point. Its our away form which has caused us the problem, if we had done better away this season then we could be sitting in 3rd maybe even 2nd position right now.
I think G is still finding his way as a coach and although previously i have pondered whether we should really be seeing him with the devils next year i think he deserves one more year to see if he can improve on things. I think a couple of things haven't really worked out this season which have lead us to be in the position we are. I can't say whether thats down to G or not, i would say my hockey knowledge isn't strong enough to make that call.

G has done well, but I'd like to see how someone else would get on. Really don't think it'll happen though as I think he'll definitely still be our coach for 2010/11.

A lot has been said about the away form but apart from Blaze, we're not far off the others...

Belfast 23 points
Sheffield 21 points
Nottingham 19 points
Devils 18 points

and the other teams above us don't have the problem of playing on a significantly different sized rink when they play away games.

jimmy snels

But we had a bigger team last season, and didnt do as well up to now.[/quote]
nmase20 said:
We went with a bigger more physical approach last year and got ourselves no where, our home performance this year is a hell of a lot better so don't really see this point. Its our away form which has caused us the problem, if we had done better away this season then we could be sitting in 3rd maybe even 2nd position right now.
I think G is still finding his way as a coach and although previously i have pondered whether we should really be seeing him with the devils next year i think he deserves one more year to see if he can improve on things. I think a couple of things haven't really worked out this season which have lead us to be in the position we are. I can't say whether thats down to G or not, i would say my hockey knowledge isn't strong enough to make that call.
i wasnt saying i thought we should have i was asking wether trukkasaurus thought this. i personally would have kept elich if i could have, a much more consistant performer with more grit about him. i watched him in sheffield last yr and thought "WOW" straight away a stand out player. also as a coach goes im amazed that G didnt axe one of the forwards when we hit the run around xmas (drinking season incidently...) and before that ruined our season. more conviction is what i want. along with a big, quality D man to clear the zone!! would mcallistair have let as many of the goals that went in this yr happen with him on ice...not sure!

Rempel16

jimmy snels said:
I think Birbraer plays better at home. He goes missing on the road in most games.

Finny

Back Of The Net said:
Not new to the forum, just not posted for a good while and had to re-register, why? is the question that controversial?
Why did you have to re-register?
What was your previous username?

ASHIPP

I'm firmly in the G camp - like I said on the other thread, he cannot be responsible for stupid penalties, lapses in concentration and bad positioning. His game plan for the 6 games up to the cc final worked - if players can't execute the plan after that, then surely they are part of the issue?
Good point Jimmy made and I agree - G is a motivator and a great example ON the ice. He should play more often and can be totally relied upon to step up out there and lift the team. :cool: